Half-elf and Scarlet Crusade

This may sound as a bizzare mix, but considering how big this world is, it is not entirely out of question.

I’ve been thinking lately, how would Scarlet Crusade react to having a half-elf in their ranks. Let’s give it a little bit of random background:

• It is a half human, half high elf, a Lordearonian citizen. The mother being a human light-wielder, the father - a young, ballsy ranger from Quel’thalas.
  • after the events causing the Scarlet Crusade’s birth, the attempt to join the Scarlet Crusade while its goal and their members were virtuous and good (so before all those changes leading to them becomming a bunch of crazed fanatics.)

And the question is, how do you think would such life for a half-elf fare? A half-elf who, of course, did his best to purge the undead. Would they be forced at some point to abandon the monastery due to racial issues? What if they cut their ears and cut their eyebrows short and hid their true identity before joining the SC?

I am curious of your opinions on that.

“No” in ten characters.

Well, I mean, you could do it, but, Scarlet Crusade is strictly villain RP, so consider your character expandable and killable.
Beyond that, I can only tell you the usual. Why is your character a half elf? What does that give to his story, aside from half elves being cool? How are you planning to use that aspect of him in RP?
Don’t add unnecessary bells and whistles. Character creation should be minimalistic. Make up the essentials and have the rest work itself out as you RP and people learn more about your character. Making it up as you go is almost always better.

So if you don’t have a very specific plan for all three of those questions above, I’d say you can just leave the half elfness out and make him a human. Nothing of value would be lost and your character would be looked upon as less snowflakey. Everybody wins.

Why they are cool tho?
I mean humans, sure, human potential yada yada yada…
Elves? definitely! I mean they are Elves!
But Half-Elves?
Why people love these (hated) social pariahs and outcasts? Neither race particulary keen to have them, they are the victims of the racism of the worst kind, the hatred that aimed the child of a mixed pairing… (and thats the only part players NEVER play out, nor their enviroment, you are a 'mule", not the bottom of the society-bag, but they don’t even want to be their bag, you have your own. And thats an old used smelly pouch)
Why they are cool? :eyes:

1 Like

This is more or less the reaction I was expecting, good!

The thing is, a bit like Shadeprowler mentioned. Also, I do not consider them snowflakey in comparison to light-infused space goats, void empowered high elves or other fancy races. They are, in my book at least, on par with them. Also, I do not see much of them in RP and I wished to explore the idea of playing a character which has a strong motive of being lost in the world on racial level. It can be roleplayed with other races, of course, but half-elves are a special mix which is not too frequent in roleplay.

As for the Scarlet-y part. The character would be definitely an ex-scarlet, for there is no place for their shenanigans in the society. The trick there is for him to show how he strongly craves to be perceived as a pure-bred human, completely throwing away his elven heritage, but still being struck by an existential turmoil of wheter it is truly what he wants, or is it what his mother wanted for him to stay alive in a cruel community of humans bent on slaughtering anything and anyone who stood in their way (so in other words, habits).

I had an idea for him to cut his eyebrows whenever they grow out. His ears are also mutilated and hastily healed so it looks like he had a burn accident in childhood so as to hide his elven heritage. I think I managed to give a sufficient answer to these questions? Without throwing too many spoilers, that is.

Firstly, those are blood elves. Umbric was a blood elf, with blood elven followers. The high elves in the Rift came after that.
Secondly, the Army of the Light was supposed to consist of hundreds of billions of different races that had their worlds destroyed or conquered by the Legion coming together to fight a common enemy. Blizzard just botched that by making an interesting concept as bland as one possibly can and making them all draenei.

But fair, although, comparing a difficult and complicated concept to two other difficult and complicated concepts does not make it any less difficult and complicated.

Well, yes, there’s a reason for that. They’re disliked both ICly and OOCly for very good reasons.

I’m not saying it can’t be pulled off well, but honestly, every second light wielder I come across on Alliance side is an ex scarlet. It’s beating a dead horse imo.

Uhh, that’s an interesting concept, but I’d say most half elves would be leaning towards elven over their human heritage, mostly because most of the half elves we see are Alliance aligned due to following or agreeing with parents who’ve joined the Silver Covenant.
Although, we only know of four named half elves in lore, Giramar, Galadin, Arathor and that ancient mage dude I forget the name of. Three of those have Windrunner mothers and fairly nobody human fathers.
So I’d say most of the society and bringing up stuff is educated guesses on our part.

Again, it can be done, but it’s a difficult concept that I’d advise avoiding unless there’s a really solid plan for how you want to portray it in RP.
Which, I suppose you do, so you do you. And I mean, I’m playing a demon hunter as my main RP char, so what do I know.
I just advise caution, I guess.

1 Like

Thank you for this opinion! I was not aware that there are so many ex-scarlets, from what you say. I will think about it a little bit more.

I think I am fairly capable of making this work, and perhaps manage to portray half-elves as something more than just “muh heritage”.

As for the mage dude, I think you mean Alodi.

That guy, yeah.

Since the crusade has had many different view points from time to time it depends on the guild and which mindset they are going with.

Scarlet Renegade would be fine more to it insight from quest text with joseph also shows us the mindset of a random scarlet crusader.

And right away he didnt know Bloodmage Thalnos was undead he believe Thalnos was just a High elf, meaning a random scarlet crusader was ok with other races in the ranks of the crusade.

Even the Scarlet Crusade of today I would say wouldn’t have to much of a problem with any elf/drawfs in the ranks as long as they have been there from pretty much the start.

Any other new outsiders would be seen as tainted and not to be trusted.

The Problems you will face however is these days people often just label the crusade as noting but a bunch of hating all inhumans racists and that’s about it they don’t know the lore and its just easier to run with a meme.

And now we have this trump scarlet brotherhood incoming… ya its to bad the faction had some rich lore going for it.

But just to end I would find out the type of scarlet guilds out there before attempting this half elf thing.

There are four (iirc) half elves in lore, you can make all those other things you said as playable races, so it’s a nonsense comparison.
Scarlet crusade takes only humans, believing others being lesser races.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.