Have we forgotten how to enjoy playing this game?

Hello everyone,

First of all, short background. I have been playing this game since 2006, more or less all the time, with only a few breaks. I have gone through many variations - from hardcore raiding 6 days per week, over being LFR hero and only casually questing, to Mythic raider who raids twice per week. I have been both filthy casual and hardcore. I have been both min-maxing as well as being clicker. I have done pet battles, farmed transmogs, proffesions.

I went from completelly “don’t care for mounts and will always use Amani Warbear” to mount collector.

Along this whole journey, it occured to me whether I have truly lost the ability to enjoy playing this game. Sure, when you play essentially the same game for ~15 years, neural paths in your brain are hard to please - it is very hard to invoke the feeling of surprise or even achievement - we have seen it all.

I don’t want to rush quests, I should be able to enjoy every single moment of doing it - from looking that underground cave, to completing the objective itself.

Enjoy the conversations, music.

Over the time, which I think is normal, the ability to truly enjoy wow has diminished, but I still very much love it. Starting from Legion, I always read every quest in detail, I try to observe the scenery around me, appreciate the music… And so far, it’s working ok.

How do you battle the inveitable diminishing return of enjoying wow, if you have been playing it for so many years? Or you are just instant gratification go go go tyep of player who seeks pleasure in fast activities wow also provides.

Reagrds,
Imm

3 Likes

As someone whose priority is PvE content, I stopped running m+ and raids a couple months ago cause of coming back to the game mid patch where everyone had corruptions and I would be behind other players for weeks, no matter how dedicated I would be to farming, because corrupt resist is timegated. I started lvling alts and stuff but it got boring now. There is 0 challenge and I miss that. Even as a new player back in the day, my main focus was PvE content with a bit of PvP on the side. Slowing down occasionally to read quests and do achievements is fun but it’s not enough for me in the long run.

If it’s brand spanking new content then yes I savour it but if it’s just an alt levelling, then it’s got nothing new to offer.

Nothing can replace that OOH NEW SHINEY feeling of new content for those who like that kind of thing :slight_smile:

I’ve actually enjoyed the last couple of weeks because I can focus on “my” goals and not the ridiculous treadmill.

I don’t “have to” run a vision to reduce corruption. I don’t “have to” make sure I have currency for the next corruption and so on and so on.

I get to log in without a chore list and help a friend get their +15 achi or do a BG for fun!

2 Likes

I like that it gives you a choice and you can pick how you play the game, when to take your time over things sometimes and get things done at others. But that’s more to do with the combining an MMO with an RPG, many quests are variations on kill X or collect Y, and offer little RPG value, others are more story orientated and I like to see them through.

It does feel like an addiction though sometimes more than a fun way to spend time. But meeting that nice healer, or that hunter who goes out of his way to help me out during a dungeon, or the helpful generous soul who takes time out to be friendly more than makes up for the go, go, go mentality that almost by necessity seems to pervade some aspects of the game. It’s that last bit that keeps me coming back though and makes it fun for me. If WoW was just an RPG sans MMO, I’d have quit years ago.

1 Like

^^ This so very much!!!

I remember what I haven’t done during vanilla, TBC, MoP and Legion.
What I didn’t play during WoTLK, Cataclysm WoD.

I really need to finish those expansions …

Started gathering for the moment high ILV armor pieces and weapons I can transmog for 1 gold.
Azerite chest, shoulders and helmet.
Weapons ILV 410 from TW that cost 1 copper.
Once it’s done I plan to change transmog every time on my characters.

Go back and explore content, not in a rushed pace, but enjoying the quest texts, music environment.

So much to do …

Cheers.

2 Likes

The problem with WoW how i’ve felt since BFA launch. Is i did so much in Legion , obtained so much . Lost it all soon as the expansion launched. That’s when i realized whatever i do doesn’t matter. The only thing that carries through is mounts , tmog , pets and toys.

Nothing else matters and that has really killed my fun for WoW. I mean why raid mythic next expansion when you know there’s an expansion looming in the distance.

Because of that there’s no sense of accomplishment and excitement in that pve/pvp aspect for me. Been playing WoW since 05 and the only thing i find fun in the game is making gold these days. I hope SL rekindles some love for the game but it sounds like another grind at 60.

Oh well probably just end up gold farming again. As gold buys you everything thanks to the wow token.

For me, enjoyment was when having barely any knowledge of whats coming next from vanilla to until end of wotlk I didnt even know what sources I could use to see whats going to happen. Therefore I had no rush in anything and just did what I liked doing unlike now I know everything of an expansion or patch beforehand and know I am forced to do x stuff to keep being competitive if thats the way I would go… well today its just rush rush rush and 24/7 metagaming

1 Like

If they made the mounts exclusvie that patch i that would have motivation to go raid because then it has more value and purpose to go raid. But when you know you can just go farm an expansion later like why bother.

That’s what i loved in Wrath the black proto and plagued drake you could only obtain those raid mount achievements before ulduar came out. That made you want to join a guild and go out and raid.

Yes i know you can buy the plague drake on bmah but for a while it was unobtainable.

There is a reason why my druid is mogged in gold mop challenge mode tmog. Because it’s unobtainable. My time i put into getting that gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

I liked the fact in classic and tbc there was always a guild for your progression level. Remember when Uldir was obselete in months. Same with battle for Daza’alor. Then all the catch up gear straight afterwards , it like what’s the point.

too many farm is killing fun. After i do all the weekly stuff like dailies, few visions, islands, arenas, m+ and raids i already have enough. I would like to farm achievements but i got no time or will to. Also they added so many collectibles like pets and mounts on very low drop rate that i see no point in doing it at all.

No i have not i will be going to shadowlands like a empty paper i have not read anything at all i know there is covenants and new customization that’s it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.