Have we forgotten what a game is and how the 58 boost breaks TBC classic?

Path of least resistance is a universal law not just human behavior, but it can never become to the path of no resistance. Not a single one of us desires a challenge-less game that’s what i meant by saying humans like opposition to their progression.

Well, I think there are a lot of people that actually would like a game with little challenge. Take retail for example, some players are happy with only leveling to max in 10 hours doing Pokémon Pet battles, opts out of Warmode, collects mounts, pets, transmog, not doing anything above heroic dungeons or LFR.

ummm i think youre going a little too deep into what i said

players that have defended the boost have really only said it benefits them (me,myself and i) becasue they dont want to put the time and effort into playing the game " time and effort "

1 Like

No its more like one studied multiple openings, developed strategies figured out gambits and traps and polished his finishing attacking moves and the other just learned how to play. When they face each other the only possible outcome between them is that the first player hold every advantage throughout the encounter and wins. And this outcome is 100% merit-based since one player honed his skills and the other didn’t.
Now the second player realizing his predicament pays Gary Kasparov to come and help him stand on equal footing with the first player. End result?? first player feels cheated out of his earned through honed skill and effort favorable position and the second can never feel like he achieved everything on his own merit since the payment carried him through. That’s the effect of the boost.

What you believe or not, is up to you.

And no, Humans don’t generally like opposition, in fact most people prefer the way of least resistence when given a choice. That’s why far more people play games like Candy Crush or Solitaire than WoW, and why far more people play WoW rather than some Rogue-Like dungeon crawler.

You are aware that…

a) most hormones have very little to do with our emotions (e.g. Secretin lowers the production of gastric acid) and
b) no 2 humans have the exact same hormonal makeup

…yes?

Which is exactly what the leveling process is. So how does argueing for it prevent the game from taking on retail-like characteristics? :smiley:

No, it really isn’t.
The retail development started with paid Character Transfers, Faction changes, etc.
The first time an actual level boost was introduced into WoW, wasn’t until Patch 5.4.7 (2014-02-18) during MoP.

1 Like

And the retail game is the game for them, classic version of WOW wasn’t built to last if the leveling process is skipped even partially.
So instead of putting systems that slowly but surely transform classic to retail, players should accept the difference between the two versions and let classic stand on its own without boosts.

1 Like

To be fair, they also say it makes the game more accessible, thus it enlarges the population for endgame activities, adding to a thriving community. Whether the casual part of this population increase actually stay in the game in the long run remains to be seen, though.

Agreed. That’s why I’m calling for a #NoChanges server without any cash shop/MTX-services whatsoever. I would be happy to pay a higher subscription fee to help offset the possible revenue loss for Activision-Blizzard.

That’s an even worse example since what does player skill got to do with leveling process? The better player will win regardless of account or how much people studied. You totally dismissed the fact that everyone else starts at level 60 with gear and money where is that in your anology.If the boost got you to level 70 ahead of everyone else then you have an argument but this is not a fresh tbc.

1 Like

The game does not need to appeal to the masses from a player point of view. The total amount of players per server could remain the same, there just gonna be less servers. For me it does not really matter how big/small the community is to a certain point. Just as an example: why would it matter to me if there are 100 full servers or 10? I will most likely play on one server…

From a financial point of view it obviously makes sense to appeal to the masses and sell as much as you can. To make the game more appealing to the masses, it has to get dumbed down as much as possible. Also the game needs to appeal more to the type of players who easily spend money on it. So that’s what happened over time and look how the game (retail) is now. The alienated OG players wanted their game back and that’s why people fought to get classic wow. These OG players will quickly drop classic again but why should anyone care about them as long as the masses p(l)ay the game?

1 Like

The more skill a player has then the less time he spends leveling that’s the correlation between the two.
Study in the chess example is to show that to become a good player even in wow you have to study and exercise and practice. So once again if someone who is already 60 and prepared for TBC he has advantages over someone that was about to start lvling now, but those advantages are earned through effort honed skill and time spent on trial and error. Its only fair and proper that the first player has the advantage, now if the second player pays his way through to close the gap between the 2 (pick your analogy, either chess or a marathon run i posted them both) then the value of the honed skills and effort the first player put in the game get devalued cause now to get favorable outcomes in the game you don’t only have to hone your skills and put effort in the game you also have to have the ability to pay and be willing to do so.

Skill and time spent leveling are not the same thing. I can level right now without much skill I can sit in stockades and let a level 60 mage kill all the mobs without moving or pressing a single skill and level faster than someone questing out in the world.

Another example of time not equaling skill you can play arena you can have a 1200 rated player play 10000 hours of arena and he will still be a 1200 rated player he might get a little higher if he gets better but he may never reach gladiator no matter how hard or long he trys just the same as you can get a 2500 rated player who can get gladiator without playing many games he is just skilled at the game and his time spent doing arena will be negligible.

Another thing you miss is the person that is buying the boost does not get any favourable outcome compared to a naxx geared player at 60 with 10000 gold to spend on mage boosts in slave pens ,blood furnace to level 67 if anything you should be arguing for Forced fresh start if you care so much about equality

Ofc its not the same thing, nobody said that those are synonyms lol. There can still be a correlation between two things that are not the same things xD

You can level without much skill but it will not be faster than someone who is skilled.
You are not leveling your character yourself if you get boosted by a mage but some how you phrase it “I can level by getting boosted” xD

Complete joke but at least you really show how boosting makes skill irrelevant. Thats what we want in our video game right?? xD

1 Like

When a competition devalues its possible outcomes from being based solely on effort and skill to being influenced by money too it inevitably loses chunks of its audience and its competitors. Leading to less populated servers.
Your argument about time doesn’t equal skill taps into the talent issue, practice unlocks your talents and the bigger potential talent you have the more practice unlocks. But time always improves your skill, you might not have that big of a potential to reach the stars but you get better and better even by small noticeable amounts.

It doesn’t take skill to get to 58, just time and effort, then not even much effort.

Most classes are reduced to a single attack /castsequence macro.

How limited is your horizon?
Skilled player can level faster than non-skilled players. You can’t really deny that.
Skilled players can kill more mobs/hour than bad players.
Nobody claimed that leveling in general is something difficult.

Not really, it may be a little bit faster, but not a lot. You just press your macro button at the right time.

It’s like saying my car is better than yours as it gets to 70mph 0.4 of a second faster.

Did you even read his first sentence.

Getting boosted is faster exp than someone who is skilled at their character it doesn’t matter how good you are at questing you won’t beat a 400 mob mara pull which is still possible in tbc this whole arguement is pointless as it’s nothing to do with players paying for a 58 boost.

People always have and always will pay for shortcuts in wow just look at classic there is no level boost but I could join a gdkp naxx and buy the best items in the game and you don’t need to be good as players will carry for big gold. You can get players to boost your level in dungeons you can also get players to boost your arena rating for money.

People paying for a 58 boost is a drop in the ocean compared to other things you can already buy and just because someone paid to get a 58 doesn’t mean he will quit the game early if anything it makes the servers more populated as more players are willing to pay for boost to get to the content that they enjoy playing where as without the boost they might just not bother

Sounds like you are not in this group of “skilled players”

It doesn’t make it more accessible to casuals.

It makes it more accessible to tourists.

That’s an important difference.

3 Likes