Have we forgotten what a game is and how the 58 boost breaks TBC classic?

If it’s something like the one boost per Warcraft account where you still have to level for 4-5 days, yes, and please don’t start strawmanning.

Yes I fully agree, originaly back in the day of pre wrath getting a high level or maxed toon was an accomplishment(besides DK’s which was always taunted as being the “easy class”)and the journey through Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor was an essential part of the journey with the end goal being “endgame” where your 2nd journey began, too many people have been speedrunning private servers and have forgotten the feeling of being emotionaly attached to a toon that you spend so long to create.
It’s really sad to see the way the game has gone and even more so the playerbase that is behind it that don’t just stop, relax, and enjoy EVERYTHING the game has to offer.

2 Likes

This is the usual “We’ve already went down the wrong path so it’s okay to go down even further” argument. No idea why you’re talking about strawmanning.

3 Likes

A lot of posters start going on about selling gear or PvP points in the shop when you pull their arguments against the boost apart.

2 Likes

You’re damn right. Also I find the strongest argument against the boost is the fact bots are now going to be fast tracked to inflate the economy and kill off the old world leveling. People who want this boost should just go play retail and leave us alone.

1 Like

You didn’t pull the argument apart in any capacity, you’re just too short sighted to see how this will affect the game.

Honestly, I don’t why I should do that with everyone who thinks they have a new point of view when they are all the same. I’ve explained it many times and some people just don’t want to accept it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Classic isn’t hard at all. Effort? Yes you need that to reach level 60. Is that hard? No, you autoattack or frostbolt/blizzard your way to 60 and then spam 1 button rotation on bosses with zero mechanics.

Effort is all you need in Classic.

You are totally correct your trajectory will surpass EVERYONE who puts less effort than you and that’s the value of your effort. If you choose to have a holiday from work, if you abstain from any social gatherings (easy now) and put more time into the game you are rewarded.
If you pay for a second account you constantly pay and have to manage 2 accounts, meaning you are micro-managing twice as much than me and paying twice as much. If the cost of the boost was like 1 year of subs worth then it would be the same but it wont be, it will be a relatively easy advantage to gain if you decide to pay it. And since it is so effortlessly exploited with proffs and so close to the endgame it doesn’t require the micro-managing effort that 2 accounts require.
Effort and skill was the way the game rewarded you no matter how many accounts you paid (if you payed and played twice as much you were rewarded with twice as much potential) the boosts is effortless advantage, that’s why with it the game becomes skill+effort+money.

1 Like

WoW already does that.

And this boost diminishes the value of anyone’s effort since now effort+money is the new formula.

1 Like

No it doesn’t, because these efforts have no intrinsic value to begin with. My character is the result of me spending time in a video game, no one in the real world is going to give me respect, money or social status for it.

The only worth my character has, is the the emotional value I myself place on it. Therefore, it’s entirely up to me to decide if someone elses character boost diminishes that or not. If I decide to think like that, then that’s my problem, and no one else is required to care.

2 Likes

It does in an indirect way, and it shouldn’t. Now we’re going down even further.

2 Likes

Just because it doesn’t give you anything on the real world doesn’t mean it has no intrinsic value.

Any game, no matter the type, virtual or real, will have its value reduced if you can gain some advantage without playing the game itself.

2 Likes

On the contrary, that’s exactly what that means.

Material (intrinsic, real, market) value and imaginary (emotional, personal) value are two different properties of assets. The former is quantifieable, measureable, enumerable. The latter isn’t.

2 Likes

I never said anything about the real world. We don’t play for IRL respect or status we play to have fun and achieve our goals.
Our effort in the game and the time you put into it is what rewards us in the game and that is its intrinsic value. Look at it this way , if you have an endgame char but don’t bother to get out in the world and farm or play the market or whatever you won’t realize the potential that char has and the game won’t reward you.
If you happen to pay for more accounts but don’t spend time with them and their characters you again won’t realize their potential and the game won’t reward you, yea you paid and got nothing out of it. That is the intrinsic value of the effort we put in the game!

Enter the boost: you pay and get a char per account catapulted 2/3 closer to the endgame, over the prof skill cap level, where you can put NO EFFORT (time) into it and still realize a bigger potential than someone who didn’t. That’s why the competition now will be tainted by IRL money, thats why effort and skill DO have intrinsic value and they LOSE part of it with the boost.

You mean “material” in that case. That has nothing to do with intrinsic.

And again, any game will automatically have less instrinsic value if you can have an advantage with means outside of it, and that’s something that is easily verifiable.

2 Likes

Time is quantifiable and perhaps the biggest value there is, therefore it is in fact material!
And time=effort my friend.

Okay, let’s explore this logic:

I have 2 warlocks on this account on the same server.

One is Sorzza, which I leveled from day 1, which was slow, due to a mass of people competing for mobs, and having no resources to spare to buy/craft gear with.

The other is my intended PvP Alt for TBC. I leveled it up about a month ago. This time I had access to all of Sorzzas gold, could get 14slot bags from day 1, decked the alt out in crafted & enchanted gear left, right and center, and had next to zero competition in the questing areas. Needless to say, the leveling was much faster (At least twice as fast as with Sorzza).

Now, by your logic, this second character is worth less to me, because I spent less time getting it maxed, correct?

But I’m here to tell you: That’s not the case. I value both characters, and look forward to playing both of them in TBC.

So, either there is something wrong with the logic, OR there isn’t, but the value we place on our ingame achievements is completely subjective. And if that’s the case, and I guess we agree it is, then the only person I could hold responsible if someone elses boost diminishes that value is…well, myself.

1 Like

Your example is perfect, kudos for that!!
I never said other that characters that had funneled resources into them (which is also accounted for in the main’s effort and skill) have no value. My 5lvl disenchanting alt has value to me and i almost never played with him, no lvling process no market selling no nothing just DEing and that’s it and still has value to me.

Now lets check the 2 warlocks of yours (same class perfect), i would ask you if you happen to split their assets down the middle 50-50 and lets say you manage to have the exact same gear on both of them so you end up with 2 characters exact carbon copies of each other.
Now i get to hack your account and delete one of them, which one hurts more to lose?? Sorzza, the 2nd one or do they have the same value to you so you are equally distraught and hurt??
My argument is that you will find more and more players who find the loss of their first character with the most time invested into it more damaging, cause at the end of the day only one of those warlocks is your main isn’t it so??
All of your characters have value, like all of mine also do but its not the same in my estimation and part of that reason is the time we invested into them.