Havoc for m+

Hello Demon Hunters, I came to ask you all good demon slayers how good is DH in m+? I mained Frost DK for two years but got bored of it, tried to make MM Hunter as a new main but I think ranged classes are not for me. Dps/utility wise is DH good? I want to push higher keys (18+ and more).

PS: Cousin I play with usually play as MM Hunter so I don’t want to be another hunter in group.

DH does bring good damage to the group and can easily keep up. We have a semi-quick kick and an AoE stun (very useful). Also during some nasty weeks with Necrotic and for the Big adds in the Necropolis in NW you can help the tank kite un-cc-able mobs by taunting with Torment when you are in the opposite direction of the tank and kite the mob until the stacks drop off. Finally if the group is magic heavy (mage + druid) you bring Chaos Brand for 5% magic damage.

With that said, DH lack a particular role to play in very high keys - havoc doesn’t get more funnel damage with more mobs, the kicks and aoe can be provided by rogue and monk, and the 5% magic damage DH provide isnt really enough to justify a slot in high keys.

However, you don’t have to play the meta to time keys between 18-24, but it does make runs more forgiving.

What I’m trying to say is havoc can push keys to a certain level before you will need to min-max the group - and a rogue just brings more utility so if I were you and you are only interested in DH as (melee) dps, I’d level and gear a rogue instead.

1 Like

As a rogue, what spec you have in mind?

Both subtlety and outlaw will work well all the way up. Just remember as a rogue you are funnelling your damage into a priority target so your overall DPS isn’t going to compete in every dungeon with the cleave/aoe classes.

I doubt that

Considering my M+ group has a frost mage, resto sham, and warlock, the 5% makes a big difference. Given 10k dps on average in a dungeon for the dps, that’s 1000 dps from just the buff. On top of that the healer also deals 5% more damage, so with an average of 4k dps that’s also 200, meaning we get 1200 free dps extra. Not sure if prot paladin does a lot of magic damage, so perhaps it’s even more. Given that my warlock can easily do 50k dps on bigger pulls, that’s a nice 2.5k dps for free. I’d say we complete the dungeon about 2% faster because of this. On a 30 minute (1800s) dungeon run, this is 36 seconds. We get about 7 deaths for free, or just over half a minute.

I’m pretty sure that every DPS has some way to speed up the dungeon in a unique way.

2 Likes

More damage is probably good enough for your group - the reason why you bring a rogue is you sacrifice that little bit of extra damage (yes it’s not a lot) for added utility and interrupts:

Sap, blind, kidney shot, cheap shot x2, shiv, shroud for skips (saves potion use), distract (removes risk, makes setting up pulls faster) and Tricks of the Trade.

DH brings basically only Chaos Nova and 5% magic damage to the group. I’m also pretty sure a rogue will be able to funnel for more than that extra 1.2k dps on a priority target.

Anyway - what I said was that DH is quite useful until a certain level (25-27) so if you want to play melee dps you are better off levelling a rogue. I didn’t imply that DH was useless, just a team would get more value out of a rogue at high key levels than a demon hunter.

1 Like

Okay guys thank you.

But let’s say it’s Havoc+ Mage+ Spriest/Boomkin/Warlock. You have 5% + INT buff for both. Can an Outlaw top that?

I used to run keys as marksman, with monks and warriors I had the same enhanchement (5% more physical damage), basically solo blasted ksm at season start

Honestly though, are you going to recommend a different class based off a requirement that only 0.1% of the M+ players can reach? Just play whatever you enjoy. If you have to come to the forums to ask for advice on what to play, you’re not the target audience for this advice anyway.

You must’ve missed what I wrote earlier. Group composition doesn’t matter for key level up to around 18 - so that would include your week 1 KSM :wink:

DH are FINE for lower keys. But the OP was asking advice here on how DH are for pushing higher keys than 18.

1 Like

Well I was answering the OP on his question, and since he was asking about the top 1% of keys being done that is why I answered the way I did. You seem to think he’s not allowed to ask such questions, which I find extremely odd. I find it is always good to seek a second opinion as the OP clearly did.

I guess you beg to differ then… however, what you posted isn’t really constructive though.

What makes Outlaw so viable for high keys?

DH are still fine for +24~25 keys as well, so it really doesn’t matter.

OP asked for +18 and higher. Current top 1% in EU horde (OP) is 2545.8 at the moment of writing according to: https://raider.io/mythic-plus/cutoffs/season-sl-2/eu. I’d say top 1% is around all at +22. OP is aiming for 18+, so even if OP is a really, really good player, and gets to boost their score and skill really quickly, it’s still a whole 7 key levels before it even really matters, and you’ll be heading towards top 0.3% or 0.2% territory to even push that high.

Again, when you reach that territory, you’re good enough to not have to ask those questions on the forums anymore, that’s when people ask you the question OP asked.

havoc is not that great in m+. it’s not bad by any means, but a good war/monk/rogue will outshine you without much hassle.
i don’t believe it’s fair for monk especially to be as it is, we do ~5% more single target (with ST legendary equipped, otherwise we may be lower at ST also which is even dumber) but they destroy us on aoe while also bringing more utility, but such is life.

Don’t worry it’s fine that he recommended me a rogue, I asked about dps and utility and he just said rogue utilities are better. Got me interested and went to read some guides about rogues so his answer was actually productive for me. I like when I bring something more to the group and not be just pop cds here and there. It always felt good to save group with rez or amz as dks, I felt useful.

1 Like

Rogue utility is the same between Subtlety and Outlaw. Outlaw does more AoE damage and little funnel damage, where Subtlety is your funnel-damage spec in cleave/AoE pulls.

Historically rogue was never really strong in PvE, with the
combat :arrow_forward:outlaw rework it got a decent spec for PvE, but I never thought it’s AoE could keep up with a DH, I still doubt

The spec doesn’t need Haste that’s the problem

DH is still M+ king

i’m sorry but please get some common sense, enter warcraft logs .com, select m+ ranking, left side where points are select DAMAGE, select keys from 20-26 and please come better informed. you will rarely find a havoc in any of these in top 100, my bet is on never but theather maybe.
how is havoc m+ king you special kind of person?