Headcanon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Not on that exact scale, but you can trace a lot of warcrafts problems back to the dark portal.
and I mean a lot.

Which is hardly to blame on the humans.

Unlike the Highborne, Medivh was infused and corrupted by Sargy from birth and the humans stepped in to kill him when it was discovered.

Many Highborne joined the Legion willingly, and even until the end many kaldorei believed Azshara was the captive of the Highborne and not the one that approved of everything!

You could again argue it was because of the guardians reckless use of magic which lead to Medivhs corruption

The very reason for the Guardian’s existence in the first place is demons appearing because of magic misuse by humans.

If only the elves had warned them in advance instead of trying to restrict the human magi after it had already happened.

The basic computing devices developed in Gnomeregan have taken a leap since the unification with mechagon and while bulky, they offer new ways to do calculations quicker. In order to share information and promote progress, a peer to peer messaging system has been set up between units and while in its infancy, it shows promise.

It’s called the Gnome Machine Actualized Intelligence Link, or G - M.A.I.L. for short.

5 Likes

I’ve always figured Gnome tech is actually really simple its just they tend to overcomplicate it with jargon.
For the longest time in one of my guilds we used a “gnomish archive and mailing system” to send messages to one another on encrypted punch cards that printed out messages when given the right password.

2 Likes

I believe there is merit to that
Gnome tech tend to be overly complex with far to many extra blinking lights and functions

While goblin tech is more barebones and cuts back on safety in return for more direct efficiency (making up for the lack of complexity with longer, difficult and smart sounding words, such as goe-nexus compulsator cobbling matrix calibrator)

Basically the difference between a gnome machine and a goblin machine is:
the gnome needs to go through a needlessly long step by step protocol, while the goblin pulls press a button and blow their target and likely themselves op.

This is also observed when you have to maintain the tech.
a gnome machine is hard to maintain because it has to many small parts moving it likely won’t need if the design was streamlined
and Goblin tech needs constant care because, unlike gnomes, it falls apart to easy and parts needs to be replaced rather than repaired.

1 Like

Artisanal vs Mass Production right there.

Vrykul were made to be warriors but modern humans are diplomatic, often spiritual creatures. This is all due to the curse of flesh altering the titans’ war machines. Humanity owes its existence, body, mind and soul to the Old Gods.

Shur’nab.

2 Likes

I’ve always believed that the Horde, at least initially, was a much more humane and progressive society than the Alliance.

Many of the Horde societies have always been tribes or clans and work in such ways that everyone works together to achieve their goals, each group or individual with some form of responsibility that they each have for a brighter tomorrow. This has lead to strenghtened unity that was ruined by bringing in Sylvanas.

The Alliance on the other hand, especially in regards to the Kingdom of Stormwind and humans in general, I’ve always imagined being a lot more imperial and harsh. Stormwind is a monarchy and due to the continuing wars against interstellar, world-ending threats, it has mostly been turned in to a military dictatorship where regular citizens do not have much to say in regards to what is decided.

Sure, they have ideals and stand tall, usually behind the same goals and morals but the way certain people seem to think it is, it’s just way too liberal to make sense. The common man would not have many rights, especially in relation to the crown.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, I think it’s the opposite in a lot of ways. The Old Horde of united clans would have an internal solidarily of sorting issues as common with a society without a reliable legal framework and institutions.

The settled kingdoms of the Alliance however would have legal obligations and expectations of state to guarantee the means by which individuals prop up the state.

Currently, it’s a mixed system on both ends as the Horde has “civilized” elves and their own imperial state to manage, previously showing a lot of cracks under Garrosh with favouritism and crude authoritarianism while the Alliance have integrated decentralized kaldorei and draenei, the latter operating on a much more tribal level as a theocratic system of internal obligations.

General clan structure fails to provide in a lot of ways which is part of why a consolidated state operates more efficiently and orc culture especially casts out the subjectively weak in a perpetuating culture of individual strength that doesn’t support a larger population, ultimately applying a broken system to people that cannot hope to benefit and blaming them for a lack of strength, character and responsibility.

These are just observation scrubbed from real life examples but in want of a World of Statecraft lore bible, I think it’s safe to assume that both factions have systems in place that function well in their niche but still leads to disaster on an individual level and sometimes catastrophic mismanagement.

If you look away from their genocidal past (and present), bullying and culling of people deemed “weak” and much more. The Horde has since its inception, even when Thrall was Warchief, always been a military dictatorship where the Warchief’s word is law. It’s only after Sylvanas’ overthrowal they begin moving away from this system of governance with the creation of the Horde’s new council.

I suppose that would make the Stromic a bit more backward, seeing that they are renowned for their hardy fighting spirit.

1 Like

Humans are still Warriors as demonstrated in perpetuity but everything beyond that, they owe to Yogg-saron.

And naaru meddling for a non-druidic religion, I guess.

More on that later.

1 Like

The Gorian Empire’s history largely follows our Roman one in line with writer fiat and parallells by rule of cool. The seat of power in Nagrand fell, much like the city of Rome, Milan and Ravenna did.

Across the sea, the Southern Gorian Empire endured, gradually taking on more and more of the culture of the land they had conquered including customs and language, becoming less Gorian but still considering themselves the true continuation of the Empire.

Yes, we’re talking ogre Byzantines, surviving the fall of the wider empire and in the time of Outland, this smaller continental fragment still floats through the nether, isolated and convinced of their own superiority, their helplessly stagnant mage aristocracy incapable of even recognising that Outland is still a thing, assuming any signs to be misreading the nether currents or floating pockets of barbarism.

2 Likes

Yes.

That’s their whole thing. They’re a bit old fashioned with their honour culture of debts and warrior ways.

That’s not even headcanon.

Won’t catch me associating with no Stromics :no_good_man:

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjM6nM-Y0Xs

Barbarians quarrelling over rubble.

huff