Help a newbie rogue understand why he sucks :P

So this is my first toon (actually I had a lvl 67 tank back when lich king was the latest patch but i have had to play this game since then so for most things considered I am equal with a noob)

I started this Orc rogue a week ago or so knowing that it’s kinda going to be harder than other classes since rogues as far as I could remember are"squishy" (easy to die) but also are good DPS/nukers.

My character is 120lvl now (playing mainly on Assassination) and since day 1 I felt that either I am doing something very wrong or that rogues are bugged (maybe not all the stats or skills are calculated correctly? lol) like literally there were moments since the early levels (from 1 to 20) where I essentially PVPed single normal mobs and if I got an agro of 2 I was struggling just to survive … further more there were mobs (no elites rares or whatever ) part of main quests (which I had e.g to kill 10+ of them) that could easily kill me 1vs1 (like headge hog mobs outside the orc starting area a few quests deep once you start your lvl1 character)

The pigs? lol I couldn’t kill more than 1,5 (=sometimes not even 2) without needing to rest and they were like the neutral ones in the pig stall in the starting spawn for orcs lol - and this is just an example there were numerous times where on main quests I couldn’t kill the mob needed or I struggled to survive it, or prayed i dont get a 2nd agro so that I wont die)

I thought it was my gear but now now at lvl 120 I may not be the top geared rogue on the server (not even close to that) but as far as PVE(killing simple quest mobs) goes I think that I am over-geared (item lvl over 400)

This is the best case scenario (i used the mouse to activate skills only so that you can check better on what I am doing normally I cast them faster)

Here is a youtube video I made of me attacking a mob in pandaria

This is the Best case scenario usually I get more damage from these mobs particularly if they make a AoE skill that cuts about 60% of my HP but its easy to avoid…kinda… (especially if a second one, even a small lion pet of theirs, tags into the fight I can get to less than half HP) but even on this best case scenario notice that I am essentially PVPing that mob bursting all of my cooldowns on it (= next mob either if it tags in or if I go to it after the first one wont receive the same DPS due to the cool-downs) as I said I essentially PVP the mobs… and I have “good enough” gear - I mean when blizzard designed the quests they should not design the mobs to be killed by top tier gear people but by atleast average geared people… - and I am essentially PVPing the mobs… Need to use all my tricks and khites etc just to be done with one of them hoping a second one wont tag along (and if a 3rd one dugs in I either need to go stealth and hide or die… )

Which makes questing a VERY exhausting, now I got my neck to lvl 65 and got the legendary cloak slightly better chest piece (azerite powers turned on) and rest of the gear is also slightly better but nothing changed… everything is more challenging especially the corruption zones these mobs are even harder for me to kill (again im talking about normal mobs not rares or legendaries etc) sometimes even 1vs1 with them is going to leave me with 50-60% HP even AFTER I used my potion skill (Which recovers 30% of my HP)

Other people (and I am not talking just about tank classes) seem to sweep the area like taking 2-4 agros killing them… trying to solo legendaries etc I couldnt even possibly dream of doing that… I find my self quite often stealth in quest areas waiting for somebody to attack the mobs so that I can hit them too and get the kills for the quests without needing to risk dying…

And that was true for like all the leveling process, there were some basic quests (like without them I couldnt progress the storyline ) where it just was impossible for me to kill the mobs especially if a legendary was involved…

In other words I am extremely squishy essentially PvPing simple mobs and my DPS is nothing to write home about…

So if I am not doing something wrong, and if rogues are not bugged - besides the stats, my character quite a few times seems to hit slower than usual and cooldowns take longer without any visible to me debuff being casted on me- classes then imho blizzard should make the rogue class less squishy and give it more DPS…

Even in dungeons I am the least contributing DPS even with people with similar item levels are in the party if it weren’t for fan of knives skill (and the vulcanic eruption my ring gives me) which allow me to increase DPS by AoE I would probably be more like a bourdain than a contributor… not to mention that I die easily… I mean there are some simple dungeon bosses (like that dog on mechagon junkyard) that do an AoE attack that hits everybody… usually I am the only one in the group that dies from it…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.