Help me understand the GDKP Culture

I see. Well i would never ever go in as a buyer in these gdkp runs. Whats the point of taking the risk of not getting an item because there’s a bigger gold shark when you can just go compete with classic rolls instead. Its the same thing. I bet you have more chance to win with rolls even.

Just keep running GDKPs and accumulating gold from cuts until you have enough to outbid everyone on the piece you are interested in? This is what every player, that is not involved in RMT, do.

Here is a tip that I thought of, right click the sus player’s portrait, compare achievements > statistics > character > wealth > most gold owned and such will tell you what kind of whale you’re dealing with.
You can also check their discord application form for their “budget” if they have submitted one, the leaders usually want to know much they can milk out of you.

Ok i see.
If 10 or 20 items of 100 go to the raidleader its unfair
But if the leader keeps 10%-20% of the gold its totally fair and a good System because you get 100*0,8/25 of the gold spent indead of 80/25 items.
And you can buy the gold from the gdkp discord back. Atleast for a wow token but mostly paypal. Fair and solid system.

The RNG is other people with more gold.
The RNG is the gdkp leader who invites buyer for the same type of items for a bidding contest. How do you think that gdkp is any less rng? There are mages who bid on betrayer because they do not warriors to have it for cheap 15k gold. This mage wasnot rnged into gdkp, right?

So thats only 200days of dailies for an hour. Or just 4 pizzas. Hm🤑

This is different to ‘X reserved’ how?

Read the rest of my post.

Read the rest of my post.

Furthermore, by buying gold you’re risking 1. a small ban and 2. Having the purchased gold wiped from your character, essentially meaning you spent gold on nothing.

If you do get invited to one (low chance if you don’t have enough gold to hit their budget requirements) you will profit by getting your share of the gold the others spent on loot. Eventually you will have enough gold to be able to outbid others.

That’s the theory, the practice is RMT.

2 Likes

I made close to 50k in vanilla just selling fish, which I caught during my nightshifts at work :man_shrugging:

Some people (well, most people, really) actually need to work at work, not warm a chair.

2 Likes

This is the reason why I do GDKP. I’m super rich earning around 80k gold weekly by doing Ulduar 3 times a week and we clear all bosses on HM in around 2 hours.
softres.it/gdkp/nn8z84

Personally I like playing in this English leading GDKP with good players. The leadership is top notch and nearly not any of us is making any mistakes on HM bosses.

At start of WOTK I was in a guild with horrible ragers and people constantly making fun of each other, flaming people on discord and corrupted officers that took everything.
That was such a sh*tty experience that I left the guild and decided to be on my own and find chill GDKPs, earn some gold and buy the items I want while still performing the best I possibly can.
And yes it’s fun to see when people bidding high on items, I have seen many items from algalon selling for 200k or more.

1 Like

GDKP and all reserved and loot praiority lists from Classics made me understand how great Personal loot was

2 Likes

Basically, every item has a starting price (varies by group) and goes to the highest bidder. Every bit of gold paid for items is added to a pot, and (usually 80%) a part of that is distributed to every attendee at the end.

It depends on the group, but if you join often enough, you will start building up a lot of gold yourself. You’ll never have enough for the chase items unless you buy, but you can get the stuff that drops often or isn’t that great.

Depends. You can get items that aren’t in demand for under 3k usually, and the group will be happy someone buys them. But it also heavily depends on your role. GDKP leaders are unlikely to take ranged dps without really good logs and gear or 50k+ budget, for instance. If you’re a desired role like healer or tank, you have more leeway.

Most GDKPs will have some oilers in them, and leaders actively seek them out because their presence significantly increases everyone’s cut.

As for why people run them? Because the 20% management cut adds up to a upper middle class income in places like iran if you sell the gold you get from it. So you will have people whose job it is to run 5-10 GDKPs every week.

It depends. Me and people from my guild, we came from a no gdkp server when we transferred because it died. Having multiple geared healer alts meant I could get into really good groups even with no budget, and healer loot except for super chase items is usually cheap. So I end up getting quite a lot of gold per week from just attending. 2-3 more weeks of this and I can gear my mage and warlock without ever having bought gold.

But yeah, as a dps you’re kinda screwed.

This is the kind of story I find totally misleading.
What is a target farmed fish maximum worth in vanilla, around 1g? The average fish at decent spots (excluding fishing pools, which include travel time) is maybe 25s? Thats like 1g a minute and 50k minutes would equal 833 hours, or about 35 days played fishing. Even with 8 hour night shifts, 5 days a week, its still equal to a 5 months fulltime job doing nothing but farming fish.

You make it sound like it was some side activity, while time investment wise it might be more time than most players actually play during an entire expansion.
Its even more unrealistic to expect players, who invested that much time in farming gold, to willingly spend it all on a single item upgrade.

Well the winter squid was really valuable and even in one weekends farming you could earn enough for a epic mount if you waited until the summer before you sold your stash on the AH so its not unthinkable but it is unlikely that he earned that much

The issue is that mentality changed … you could still have gold capped character even back in the original game …
I had all profs on my alts, our guild bank was completely full, anything you needed, enchs, gems, pots, guild would make it for you for free, no issue …
But 90% of people were casuals, who considered 5k gold for fast flying too expensive …

But on classic its the other way around, 90% of people are sweaty tryhards, and even the lowliest casual can thousands of guilds in very short time …
You are pretty much expected to make gold now if you want to play properly …

On TBC I had alchemy on every char, every day I would spend 40-50 minutes farming primals then spam primal mights, with mastery you got several at once and they sold for 100g± almost the entire time, easy income 2k gold every day …

Also best way to use GDKPS, get your main properly geared, join GDKPs to get your cut, then use that gold to get your alts up …
If you expect to have nothing and get something from gdkp, its not going to work .

How do you get geared however if dominating method of doing so is GDKP and looking at things 5k you may or may not have made getting to level 80 is likely not going to be enough to consider you a buyer?

You can get away with lower / no budget if you have good gear and logs. So the primary way to play this without oiling is to join a guild, geat geared up, then run Ulduar 10 man GDKPS for gold, gear your alts up, and then run GDKPs with your alts.

It helps to pick a desirable role like tank or healer, a lot of high budget GDKP groups will have last minute spots for high demand roles, where they don’t question your budget and will accept you so long as you have the gear and experience to show you can do the content. This way you can make a lot of gold without having any to begin with.

1 Like

I mean, if you’re in a SR run, you have the raid leader taking 1-2 items + BOE’s + Shards for themselves, and you have the RNG of someone else rolling higher then you, and you have the RNG of your item not dropping.

You do have the same problems in a GDKP, but for example last saturday nothing dropped for my Disc Priest to use, but I wasn’t sad about wasting my 2 1/2 hours because I walked away with 20k more gold then I came in with.

My current guild runs GDKP in the guild. It’s not a perfect system by any means, I’ve spent between 40-50k in Ulduar, not sure how much in Naxx but when I joined the guild I had 1300g to my name after paying for Greatness Deck, I currently have about 35k gold. All of my gold has been earned from raiding, fishing/cooking daily quest.

My character DPS set has ilvl234 avg, tank set is ilvl233. Maybe going to a more public GDKP with big buyer’s isn’t going to help you gear much, but you will leave with substantially more gold than you entered and that right there is the attraction and why it’s popular.

Wait ain’t GDKP meant to be that great alternative to “toxic guild environment with Loot Councils and rigged SR/HR rules”? Then why the solution is to join a guild in order to get gear so you can join GDKP to make gold so that you have gold to spend there? Sounds like self defeating purpose.

1 Like

Depends on the fish and on the realm. On Firemaw, Deviate fish were 50-60s a piece and they were low level cosmetic things. Some consumable prices were between 2-15g each and I believe some of the fish were also used for the armour potions tanks used.

If you had the willpower to stick to things, making gold wasn’t difficult. I made around 40-45k in TBC just from farming Twilight Texts. Yeah, twilight texts. Those things in Silithus that should have been obsolete.

During that time, items were going for 5-10k on average. The 180k+ bids you saw were a meme. Furthermore, you get a cut at the end of the run anyway. The most I ever spent in a GDKP was 9k and I get a 8.8k cut at the end.