Help my old PC!

Hello my pc can barely handle retail wow, it sometimes freezes every 10-15min and the freezing last almost 1min. Below is my PC spec and i wonder what should i do to make it work better and handle all modern games on 1080p settings and high graphic( i want to play Baldur Gate 3 too) Also please tell me as simple info as you can, because im not good with pc parts.

CPU- Intel core I5 2500k 3,30ghz
Ram- 8GB Dual channel DDR3 665mhz
Motherboard- Pegatron cooperation 2AB5
Graphics- 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Thats all info i can find about my PC. Btw the PC is used and not new ( secondhand)

Short answer: get a new PC.

• RAM: 8GB is on the limit and for retail in some zones it’s not enough. Can be expanded to 16GB though
  • GPU: GTX 460 is very old and very weak, you would have to upgrade it to like RTX 3050 Ti/GTX 1660 Ti
  • CPU: 2500K is only 4C/4T CPU and old by now. For WoW it’s on the limit - it has require 4 cores but nowadays they are slow and will give low framerate in large combat scenarios. Replacing CPU for a modern one would require replacing the motherboard and RAM as well.
1 Like

Yeah, the CPU is holding things back a bit now, it’s old tech and doesn’t really handle things that well anymore compared to latter Intel CPU’s.

Graphics card… Forget the RTX3050, it’s absolute rubbish and does worse than GTX1650.

Recommendations for that is either a GTX1660 or above or a RTX2060 or above or a RTX3060. For AMD, RX5000 or RX6000 cards.

Ram: 8gb is minimal now, 16gb is where you should be aiming for at least.

But on top of that, you need a CPU that will support built in TPM and whatever Intel calls it for any future Windows releases such as Windows 11. So yeah, looks like a new PC is needed here.

So, what’s the budget for such?

3050 Ti, not 3050. Although I made an error as it’s a laptop only card.

1660 non Ti I would also not recommend. RX 6300, 6400, 6500 are also on the big avoid list. 6600 is the first one good while 6600 XT seems like a good value and performance, depending on RTX 3060 / 3060 Ti prices.

RX 5000 are also a questionable choice right now as for one their availability is limited and some had problems with those cards (as AMD had silicon level bugs to fix there) - so unless super cheap avoid if at all.

Hi i couple year a go i build this pc and i have RTX2070 in it 8 core cpu with 64 dreads each core its an AMD btw and 16g memory , but when you want better you have to build a whole new pc

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.