Help with Gaming Rig

My almost 5 year old PC is slowly at the edge of death and I am looking to get a proper build new one.

Specs are below, anything I should consider exchanging or looking at ? Build should stay at 2k~ Euros.

Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock - Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
be quiet! - Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I assume you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor(s)?

Unless you play other titles - or a wall-sized monitor - I’d say that a GTX-2XXX would be overkill, even with multi-threaded on its’ way.

The rest should be plenty good enough.

Already got mouse & keyboard, only waiting to get a Monitor in 2-3 months max.

I also plan on playing all newest titles coming up in the next years obviously, Anthem, Dying Light 2, Cyberpunk, TES6 FO5, etc.

I exchanged the i5 for a i7-8700k but people told me its far too overkill and that the Ryzen 7 2700x is a good alternative choice with the b450 gaming pro motherboard, is that true?

WoW is still CPU heavy… so an i7-8700K wouldn’t be that bad a move.

I’d guess that a lotta AMD hype is down to Intel having it all their own way for too damn long, having supply issues w/ some of their chips or… who knows.

AMD have the ace w/ value for money, sure… but as to how nice they play with WoW? That’s another thing.

Even before the 6core I5s came out, they were generally considered to be a good all round processor for gaming with the I7s additional features mostly being better used by content creators with software that can use more threads.

I’m going to assume this is your new build, mind posting your old build?
Consider saving up a bit more if you want a real great rig, if you want to keep this thing 5 more years consider going for a lga2011 CPU socket compatable build.
It would require different MoBo memory and processor (speed goes up to 4.2 stock(!))
I would suggest getting 2 ssd’s, one of 125GB, another one possibly at 125GB as well if you only play wow but let your second SSD’s size be determined by the games you play.
Old games work fine on sata, newer games are on SSD, if you have your OS on one SSD and the games on another the diskreads/writes/io’s of games will not affect the ones generated by your OS and vice versa.
The case is really personal taste
If you intend to keep cash to spare get the g-skill memory sticks of 4233hz, after i replaced my memory with that changing from no shadows to maximum shadows didn’t even see an FPS drop

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.