High Elf RP on Argent Dawn?

tbf, seeing as the Silver Covenant is a fringe-group thus far; I belief a mixed group of “Blood” Elves disagreeing with the Horde due to their actions from the past few years and a group of High Elves trying to reconnect with their red kin, with the Argent Crusade/Kirin Tor as middle ground, is the most promising premise for this + it would allow High Elves from both factions to meet up and RP together!

Nonetheless; On the Alliance-side being a High Elf is used to be special obviously… But so are the 20 year old female Archmages in slutmog… Its kind of a non-argument since same could be said for all races’ females.

3 Likes

I am the most special.

Playing a 19 year old MALE archmage in slutmog.

1 Like

Hears people mentioning high elves

I would be so down for this. I adore high elf roleplay, and I think it makes a really interesting backstory - I don’t have any alliance high elves, only neutral ones, but I would be very interested in an OOC community for high elves if one was set up. I may or may not be a bit of a high elf addict. I think I have three… >.<

Following the Quel’danil discussion, I agree they are very interesting in terms of RP. I wasn’t aware they refuse to use magic at all - I might have to read up on my lore.

It comes from Warrior manga which focuses on two human children, one of them being raised by Quel´Danil elves and serves as nice fluff for what is, quite frankly, just a normal elven lodge from Vanilla.
Ironically, these few tidbits from one manga manage to make Quel´Danil elves far more unique and interesting than any other group of high elves (who most of the time end up being “blood elves but in blue”).

For those who want to read it, it´s part of Warcraft Legends Volume 2, called Warrior: Divided (and is continued in Volume 5). Reading it again, the stuff with magic is questionable, since it could be interpreted as high elves there not using magic (which would make sense given they only have rangers there in-game), but one of them also sets her arrow on fire, which shows at least some use of magic, yet later the same elf says high elves no longer practice magic, so make of it what you will.

I assumed it meant they ditched arcane.
Rangers seem to have some nature know-how so it may be coming from a source they aren’t addicted to (nature/elements), perhaps?

I wholeheartedly hope that there is very little (if any) of it on Argent Dawn as High Elves are the equivalent to a dry, tasteless cracker left under the couch for six months in terms of being interesting

Sorry (but also not…)

1 Like

Damn… Gallvin beat me to it?

The pipebomb is

High Elves are quite flavourless

Depends on how you portray them I’d say. I think Blood elves became more boring after they stopped being morally dubious and went back to basically being High elves in red, it’s personal opinion and what space you have to RP them. I like Void elves more though, they bring more circumstances to play with than High elves, but I sill think it would be fun if there was a High elven community, it could bring RP and be a connection to both Void- and Blood elves.

2 Likes

And yet they’re still leagues better than High Elves :weary:

1 Like

Only because in eyes of many players, they are the default Quel´Thalas Highborne elf so any concept rooted in culture of Quel´Thalas (Farstriders or Magisters) has already been done by blood elves and high elven RPers would be justifiably seen just as bland copies (like Silver Covenant).
When it comes to unique concepts, blood elves have Blood Knights…except those are just Silver Hand in black and red now, while high elves have Quel´Danil. If anything, when it comes to concepts that are unique to that specific group of Quel´Thalas elves, blood elves have been whitewashed, losing their own take on paladins, draining of magic and Fel crystals, while Quel´Danil elves became unique after night elves accepted Highborne back into their society.

Blood elves at the moment don´t have much going for them that makes them unique from high elves, so I don´t really see how as a lore race, they are worse than blood elves.
It´s different when it comes to RP, but isn´t potential initiative to focus on what makes high elves unique what´s needed to fix the problem with quel´humans?

It’s a true weary moment, to be certain

simply = helves? nah nah

perhaps my brain is apeganged on the subject, i cant seem to fathom an argument. My internal bias? too strong

https://i.imgur.com/vy1NkAv.png

Le zane aside, I have seen people create solid RP from races that I personally find little to nothing compelling about. Dismissing it on principle is kinda wasteful.

Not contesting that high elves are collectively as bland as styrofoam on toast btw, but I trust that if anyone could make something interesting from that, it’d be role-players.

• 0 capital or fleshed out settlements
  • 0 aspirations (they quite literally just sit there and do what the humans tell them to)
  • Racial leader has nothing compelling about them and has the depth / personality of a wet fart (and hasn’t even been deemed important enough to have her own model despite being their racial leader)

They just do literally nothing and the only reason they have a presence in the game today is because it’s convenient (they are 100% over represented in accordance to their actual presence in lore)

EDIT: I could probably say more but I accidentally pressed enter too early and sent the post so I began sweating loads and fumbled the bag

4 Likes

I used to be in the Silver Sun years back. Good times. Perhaps if High Elves are actually added into the game, I’d consider picking one up again myself.

Sure, good roleplayers could likely create something good out of most things, but I’m talking more in regards to established lore etc as opposed to roleplaying - the latter can make some compelling stuff if they’re half decent at it

Big true

It’s a grim time when the human roleplayer (though previously blood elf for near two years…) is calling the fantasy race boring huh :pensive:

I mean it is ok to have this opinion about High Elves and the potential RP but is it best to start discussing it in this thread? If OP and others want to do HE RP, let them.

1 Like

I have a feeling this will be long comment, I apologize in advance.

I don´t see how existence of settlements determines potential for interesting roleplay. In terms of lore, Quel´Danil Lodge has just as much lore as Tranquillien or Fairbreeze or any other minor settlement.
You are correct about capitals, but I think the same could be said about Darkspear trolls, who technically have a capital city, but it doesn´t really have anything going for it. Yet it doesn´t make Darkspear inferior to Zandalari.
Alright, who am I kidding, they are inferior, you´ve got a point there.

I think this could be said for many other races. I don´t think there is some drive for tauren, Darkspear trolls or even ordinary draenei since Legion was defeated. Dwarves also lost much of their drive with conflicts between clans ending and many secrets of the Titans being discovered, yet I wouldn´t say they don´t have potential because of that.
Roleplay is often about creating your own stories that are set in the setting, which is good since progress in the main story relies entirely on Blizzard and I doubt they will ever give gnomes or worgen their homeland back, or allow night elves to take revenge for theirs.

I refuse to acknowledge Wet Fart Covenant and Gingerbanger as THE high elf faction and racial leader. Kill them all.

I understand why people might see problem with high elven roleplay. I don´t think we should see blood elves as default and high elves as some copycats when it comes to story, because they both have equal right for Thalassian heritage.
But when it comes to roleplay, situation is different and I wholeheartedly agree that doing things like Farstriders, Magisters, paladins, Silver Crapenant or any other concept that can (and has been) done by blood elves, is pointless. It would just end up being an inferior version of blood elves.
City elves in Stormwind or Dalaran are just other side of the same coin, if you want to be neutral researcher in Dalaran, you might as well be a blood elf and I have yet to see high elf in Stormwind that offers anything human or void elf wouldn´t.

The reason why I mention Quel´Danil elves in pretty much every comment here is because I believe they are the only group of high elves that are really unique, not only among Highborne elves, but all races, for reasons I mentioned above. I think having elves who purposefuly avoid magic might lead to interesting conflict RP with their allies, who all seem to be fine with Arcane.

I know that feeling, happens all the time to me.

I don´t think there´s anything wrong with people commenting about problems high elves as a concept might have. It might even clarify potential issues high elf community should deal with and how to make it better.

4 Likes

Was a great time! Hope you’ve been well since.

On the topic of calling high elves bland; a character is only as strong as their player’s portrayal, and the race in question doesn’t in any way inherently make a character bland/boring, nor does it make it interesting.

I find there’s a lot of potential to playing a race that is isolated from their cultural heritage, and a lot of the good roleplay that stemmed from my high elf roleplay back in the day was the moral dilemma of our characters not knowing whether they were doing the right thing or not; their homeland was in the rightful hands, and they are the ones who aren’t keeping up with their people.

Calling high elves boring/snowflakes has been the norm since their inception, so it’s nothing new nor anything to discourage you. Remember that your contributions to the realm are not defined by the opinions of others; if a high elf community would make you happy, then please strive for it, and it could make a whole lot of helf RPers happy as well.

3 Likes

Who’s the helves’ racial leader? I kinda forgot…

Unofficially Vereesa. One may consider Auric Sunchaser being one too.

2 Likes