High fps but not smooth

Hi everyone,
Posting for a friend who for some reason cannot post on the forum. Since 10.2, my friend had some kind of weird visual effects, which originally was only in the Emerald Dream zone, but now it also happens in the Plains, in Thaldraszus (in particular in the Time Rift zone).

My friend has high FPS (120-160), but there is a constant micro-stuttering feeling, particularly seen when for instance he turns the camera around, and the game just doesn’t look smooth.

Here some things he tested and some specifications:

• It happens without addons
  • It is ENTIRELY REMOVED when the game is run in Window mode, even if the window is brought to full screen (but then the bars of the window remains).
  • Changing the render scale makes things way worse, no matter if it increasing or lowering it (which is weird, you would expect lowering makes it better).

Here are my friends laptop specifications. It is not a top-end laptop by any mean, but he had none of these issues in any regions of the game before 10.2:
Lenovo Legion 5 Pro
AMD Ryzen 7 6800H processor
16 GB DDR5-4 800 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GDDR6 (laptop)

My friend is using G-SYNC, the 165 Hz monitor of his laptop, DirectX12 (but was worse with other DirectX versions), no vertical sync in game. I think the most important is that as soon as he goes into full Window mode, the game is just completely smooth (but playing with HUGE window bars isn’t very immersive).

Btw, for what it is worth: My friend does not have any of those issues in Plunderstorm.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

I’m experiencing same issue in wotlk classic and it’s very annoying.
Right now in dalaran it’s peace and quiet midnight and I can’t catch any stutters but inside guild raid earlier there was so much stuttering again I’m just getting used to it. During day there were noticeable stutterings inside cities; didn’t test outside of them though.
To explain it more in detail: When I’m inside raid every 2-4 seconds there’s a ~0.1-0.4 second game freeze. It doesn’t matter which fight, it’s the whole instance, every class among the 6 I play; Lock | Pala | Mage | Shammy | Hunter | Priest. I have 140 constant FPS in cities and drop to 70 fps inside raids during intensive fights
It’s very slightly less intense inside cities
During LK initial RP, when I face over the horizon/look at the ground and suddenly turn camera to my raid members, I get a freeze for 0.5-1.5sec, the more I do it the less time it takes to un-stutter but it’s there constantly iirc. Never tested it consciously anywhere else.
It caught my eye since I tried and 1day later uninstalled Plater (3 weeks ago) but I think it was there since earlier, since phase 3 togc launch but I’ve just got that much used to it. Ive got recordings where inside raids were still a beauty to run through (Ulduar) and it feels like I’ve got 30 apps running in the background in comparison

My specs:
-Intel i9 10900kf
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-SSD 2TB Silicon Power M.2 PCI-E Ace A80 Gen 3x4 NVMe
-DDR4 32GB PC 3000 CL16 G.Skill KIT (2*16) 32GISB Aegis
-Motherboard if it counts ASUS PRIME Z490-P
-Windows 10 64
-and IPS 144hz Asus VG259 monitor with DisplayPort (this is WoW problem exclusively anyway)

What I’ve tried:

• Disable all addons
  • Disable all background applications
  • This in-game command /console SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” along with /console gxrestart afterwards
  • Reset all of CVar in-game (/console cvar_default)
  • Run malwarebytes to get rid of keyloggers/viruses
  • Set graphic settings to lowest possible (exc projected textures, I want to see mechanics aka shadow trap/defile on the ground, period.). Along with resolution scale to ~60%
  • Went inside Nvidia graphic settings and disabled custom options to just pure performance, only enabled Vsync (also enabled G-sync for windowed applications instead of just fullscreen)
  • Set in-game fps limit to 143/140/120fps (so it’s not at maximum 144 and possibly jumping a frame or anything of sorts)
  • Low Latency Mode is off (tried nvidia reflex, reflex + boost but no diff)
    spell density is not on dynamic and possibly changing settings every sec
  • Trip buffering OFF
  • And anything below direct x12 is signifcantly more stuttering and laggy
  • Checked for Ram corruption (Windows Memory Diagnostic command)
  • Checked for harddrive corruption (CHKDSK command)
  • Restore Missing System Files With DISM Command (DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth)
  • Resetting the WMI Repository (winmgmt /resetrepository in cmd)
  • Wow folder > classic > WTF > right click open config.wtf with notepad > add the line SET processAffinityMask “0” (and 1 when I’ve seen no changes. No changes again so not knowing what default setting is I’ve deleted the whole line all together, there wasn’t any to begin with anyway)
  • Deleted all combat logs I’ve accidentally amassed over 2 years with addon; 200gb worth of notepads but no changes in performance after deleting still
  • Updating all drivers (special note to Nvidia users, if your installation “fails” right after downloading, re-install the whole nvidia desktop app and install it again. It successfully installed after downloading again later)
  • Installed HWinfo to monitor temperature of my pc components, everything is fine; under load + idle

Tomorrow I’ll maybe try replacing thermal paste on cpu and gpu and clean pc of dust a bit but doubt it will help seeing someone else is experiencing the issue as well…

Renderscale is bugged since 10.2., don’t use it.

Does he have V-sync enabled in the driver? For G-sync to work properly it is recommended to turn it on in the driver and turn it off ingame.

Also, sometimes capping the FPS via an external tool (driver or RivaTuner e.g.) to slightly below the refreshrate of the VRR display helps.
Reflex does this automatically, but it does not seem to work properly in WoW since it turns off randomly for me and goes back to 144hz cap (instead of 138 with reflex).

This makes sense if G-sync is not working since Plunderstorm has very low requirements and your pal can most likely hold the 165 FPS, unlike in DF where even the fastest CPU can not prepare even 144 FPS in raids or Valdrakken :smiley:

Have you checked if there is something in windows in the background using up too much CPU-time that might cause these spikes?

2 Likes

Have you checked if there is something in windows in the background using up too much CPU-time that might cause these spikes?

Yes. There is nothing else running beyond 1% of cpu usage (it’s just "desktop window manager, nvidia container, Antimalware Service Executable which is windows 10 built-in anti-virus, and system jumping between 0.1% to 0.7% usage at all times).

Alright well it is “good” to hear that at least the render scale is globally bugged. Maybe my friend’s issue has been triggered via that?

So yes, he uses G-sync and FPS capping via the driver directly, and off in game.

Well i built myself really high end pc for creating music and i can guarantee it’s not because of your pc, it’s on Blizzard’s end.