Highborne options for Night Elves

I am not be able to quote which one specifically right now, but in the Cata quests we were told that as some of the Shen’dralar trained the Darnassians in the arts of magic, others picked new jobs after rejoining the Night Elves.

So now some of the returning Shen’dralar Highborne are druids, warriors and priestesses just as some Darnassians became mages.

Hence, some extra jewelry or even a new pale skin tone would be perfectly fine to use on any night elf, whichever the role. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed that it should only be a couple of options, but it would be appreciated all the same. They’ve been affiliated with the Night Elves longer than the Sand Trolls have been with Darkspear Trolls.

Another skin tone, perhaps an eye color or face paint option, another coronet. Just another nice touch while they are adding these new options.

2 Likes

Golden recolor for the jewelry, some hanging earrings and a tiara, and either a blue (aszhara) or pale greyish (moon color?) skin would be awesome.

4 Likes

Well Suramar was isolated for 10,000 years, if it wasn’t you would see us earlier.

That still does not change the fact that the Shen’dralar Highborne re-joined the Night Elves in Cataclysm, and the Nightborne joined the Horde in BfA. ^^

Besides, all kind of races get jewelry options. Denying the Night Elves some extra necklaces and headdress just because you are ALSO Highborne makes no sense at all, does it now.

2 Likes

You are kinda posting hate yourself, Tyrande.

At least we have one of the biggest cities in game, and you have what? A Barbecue tree. Poor things… where is your Elune now?

In other words I am all for Nightelves getting a few Highborne customization, so long as Nightborne get some too. Compared to the Night elves now, we look like a sack of cheap potatoes. My Nightborne is a warlock so I don’t care anyway. But majority people play Nightborne arcane mage

3 Likes

The more jewelry the better - for all races.

But aye, gotta agree they should work on the Nightborne, too! Since they did work on the Void Elves, it would be just fair.

2 Likes

From another thread: extra skin colors (pale, rich purple, rich blue) and youth edits of night elf male faces that would be suitable to Highborne customizations.

I think these would look awesome for the Night Elf males - Highborne or not.

2 Likes

There are also a lot of Night Elf Highborne mages in excursions.

1 Like

Agreed here too.

Star iconography should be available to night elves. It’s an excellent arcane themed customisation and promotes the Children of the stars which is more central to them than the forest

• Diamonds - often indications of stars, in jewellery, especially floating ones like in this image.
    https://imgur.com/VbQUtfa
  • Notice star effects in hair linked to head pieces too like this image
    https://imgur.com/a/lA7CMa9
  • Male head pieces like the ones above.
  • Star’s tattood like magical glowing runes on skin, like a custom that some NElves would tattoo their constellation birth on their skin. something similar to this.
    https://i.imgur.com/jDid5OG.png?1
  • Star effect alternative for vines in hair e.g
    https://i.imgur.com/nZFTzWu.png?1

I feel it is somewhat important to have star effects, like we had vines for nature love.

The importance of the Stars for Night Elves

1. I keep getting a feeling blizzard keeps forgetting Night elves are Children of the Stars, and were meant to be a combination of the best bits of both the dark elves and forest elves as given in this interview here: https://i.imgur.com/koc3l88.png

2. But we don’t see much star culture exposited or represented, and it’s quite linked to their arcane origin and side, I sort of feel night elves have strayed in this regard.

3. The stars is also the most unique aspect of this uniqe variation of the elven theme in fantasy, it is definitely worth greater inclusion…

4. I feel Night elves were originally meant as the original elves, the bigger larger elven community having all the facets of the elves, where off shoots like the Thalassians had found new variations and sub-race like Nightborne only focused on one side. So while it’s good to have more forest themed additions like vines, equally important is the counter arcane/stars one

5. The stars can fit all night elves, especially Highborne because they’re arcane linked, and we know night elven priests, druid and mages can cast star/moon spells and this seems a race feature.

4 Likes

A pale grey ‘moonglow’ skin tone as seen in this Highborne edit posted by everlastingblackjack on Reddit would be lovely:

The antique silver jewelry is also awesome and would be a perfect fit for both Highborne and Night Elf priesthood.

4 Likes

Seen I can embed pics I thought I’d re-post (link was already linked in the OP) the pretty mockup of a player model with Azshara’s rich blue skin, golden jewelry and custom matching makeup:

5 Likes

It really makes me sad how they missed the opportunity with the Night Elf and Blood Elf customization options. I’m not sure why Blizzard said they are listening because nothing that was suggested for either races was added. And the latest build had 0 new options. So sadly it looks like we won’t get any other options. Missed opportunity but it is what it is

1 Like

The Shen’dralar sucked Fel energy directly from a demon for thousands of years. I’m not sure why Blizz keeps ignoring this and not adding green eyes or something. The Shen’dralar should look different from the rest of regular Night Elves.

1 Like

Well the first playable elves with green eyes were the Blood Elves.
Blizzard likely wanted to keep the distinction between Night Elves and Blood Elves, in that regard.

Plus, I think Blizzard wanted to go for the “Highborne-as-a-whole” thing with those few features. The Shen’dralar would look too similar to Blood Elves or Demon Hunters.

Strongly disagree. Green eyes for Night Elves wouldn’t make them look similar to Blood Elves in the slightest. And Demon Hunters don’t have eyes, they have Fel fire emanating from their empty eye sockets. Not to mention their demonic features such as horns.

In any case, Blizzard at this point does not really care about visual distinctions between races/factions. The new Void Elf customization options is proof of that.

But they already exist on the Blood Elf race and the Demon Hunter class and if anything - Blizzard has kept a clear distinction (aside from blue eyes), for each elf race with their initial features.
Blood Elves - Green, Blue and Golden Eyes
Night Elves - Silver/Gold, Blue Eyes
Nightborne - Light Purple Eyes
Void Elves - Light Blue, Blue, Deep Purple Eyes

So no - Green eyes are a very staple feature for the Blood Elves and have already been shared with the Demon Hunter class. You can RP your DH as a Shen’dralar Corrupted Mage if you wish.
Highborne features are for all Highborne. Shen’dralar have been really cut from the story in almost every aspect, aside from Darkshore with Bob Evenshade.

I mean, BFA and Legion had 3 Highborne zones between them and instead of Shen’dralar, we got Kirin Tor Night Elves and Darnassus Sentinels (Legion) and two night elf huntresses in Nazjatar (BFA.)

Also, you can’t reduce features to certain classes. So, night elf druids and night elf priests wouldn’t get fel eyes, but that’s not fair, regardless of the lore or what you or I want. Like other features, they can’t be reduced to certain classes. All features need to be acceptable on all classes.
I don’t like golden eyes on Blood Elf Warlocks, but that’s my opinion.

This is irrelevant. Eye color is shared among many races, including Humans and Orcs for example.

No, they haven’t. Demon Hunters don’t have eyes. And Night Elf eyes are different from Blood Elf eyes (the eyes of the latter have a well-defined iris, while the former don’t).

I can keep asking for what I’d like to see implemented in this game, thank you very much. Just for the record, I’ve been told for over 10 years to roll a Blood Elf to roleplay my High Elf. That “advice” didn’t go anywhere as you see.

Sure.

Sadly, because Blizzard doesn’t seem to be interested in Night Elves for the last decade.

In the novels, however, the Shen’dralar play an important role in BFA against Sylvanas’ Horde.

Wildhammer Dwarf Paladins don’t make sense.
Tentacled-hair High Elf Holy Priests don’t make sense.
Night Elf Mages with vines in their hair shouldn’t be common.
Sandfury Troll Druids don’t make sense either.

I understand that you find it odd, but that’s really on Blizzard - they have decided to implement subraces as customization options for core races instead of making new allied races.

Because they are just general features for the respective races.
It’s not up to you or me to decide what people’s characters should look like.

Night Elf Mages will also have purple leaves which can be seen as “Highborne features” as they are the most nature-based Highborne around as they spent in Feralas, years after the Horde exiled them from Dire Maul.

If little-johnny decides he wants to make his Dwarf Warlock look like a Wildhammer Dwarf - more power to him.

Two did and they were both killed.
And we have to be realistic here - Blizzard seems intent on only writing them in as a last resort. They could have easily included them in Azsuna, but they didn’t - they used undead Highborne and Kirin Tor Night Elf Mages.

Not quite correct.
They just aren’t too interested in the Shen’dralar and I can see why. Where do you fit them into a story that has Humans, Blood Elves, Nightborne, Void Elves and Draenei Magi, who’ve had far more exposure to the lore?

Literally, Shen’dralar are only used to either stand around or to open portals, but we’ve seen this countless times by the Humans.

It’s still the same means, via fel/demonic use. Blood Elves used both Demons and Fel Crystal and the Shen’dralar just had a single demon.

Also, again - this feature is for a very small sector of night elf society. These people have been killed thrice over. We have to really see what is acceptable in night elf society.

A fel-eyed night elf would either be exiled or killed - the latter, most likely. The Shen’dralar, in their exile, spent their time weening off fel magic.

But why does this need to be shared? I mean, can’t you think of other features instead of wanting things from the Blood Elves?

1 Like

Exactly, thank you for understanding it.