Holy and disc covenant switch next patch?

I just saw automatik’s jak stream on twitch and he said can’t wait to be night fae. Haven’t read the changes to covenants yet because I like venthyr as disc. But I’m now playing more holy. Just want to know from the community if it’s worth it to change covenants for next patch for both a disc and holy priest? Thanks!

Depends on what you want from your covenants really, the differences between covenants really are not that significant.

The thing with night fae is that it was largely slept on by a lot of players because the ability was complex, the 10% dr buff really does not suddenly make it massively more desirable in raids.

The night fae ability is harder to optimize than the other covenants, the mana is great, the cdr can be great and the dr is good. Soulshape feels amazing especially for a class that struggles with movement like priest.

Necrolord still helps pushing healing into a small window very effectively for little effort with Emeni and now trashcraft will actually be useful.

Venthyr is great in pvp and has some very potent soulbind trees in both draven and theotar. Mind games is easy to use and helps kill priority targets in m+ and push damage in raids.

Kyrian is slightly harder to use but boon is a potent cooldown the vial is a very nice defensive, the soulbind trees have some great effects (5% crit anyone?).

Long story short; Play whichever one you think is fun, numerically they really are very close (for holy), blizz did a good job for us.
On a side note: swapping really is not that costly, you get renown very easily. I know people that swapped 5 times.

Edit: Speaking mostly from a holy perspective, I don’t know enough about disc to judge their covenant choice.

1 Like

I’m not sure you’re correct… seems that with the new SS cap Venthyr is pretty necessary for raid progression.

I wouldn’t say abandon your faction just yet over it, Mind Games is a powerful talent when used right and wasn’t nerfed in any way and has a very short CD. So in PvE solo content that’s a lot of extra damage as a healer and will make things quicker.

In PvP MG’s is really overrated because it’s so situational and most people aren’t using it well enough and therefore it’s potency drops down the toilet if you just cast it in PvP for the heck of it. You really need specific situations for it to be great and really know how to use it in clutch moments.

But in NF is going to be very alluring and IMO eventually the Meta because now you get a 20% dmg reduction for 20 secs instead of 10 and stacking that with any other CD like PS 40% and barrier 25 or 50% PvP talented and you have a very powerful defense window.

You also have a way to regenerate manage, which is crucial for Disc ans also you can reduce the CD of Rapture, which is really powerful or you even help someone else reduce their CD which is a lot more valuable than you as a healer casting MG’s.

I suspect overall though the community is a bit basic and hasn’t really been able to figure out the value of these factors for NF. They basically just think in terms of damage and healing, they haven’t factored in the math yet for having more uptime on certain abilities due to NF and the overall value of it.

Just think, every 1.5 mins you can reduce a CD by 100% and it also leaves a copy or something of this reduction on someone else, I have to read the details again but that sounds considerable. But if you really need to reverse Heal to damage then that’s a, unique ability to Venthyr and to the game, but otherwise there’s so many situations NF can be overall much more useful.

So until then you’re better off sticking with MG’s, even if let’s say hypothetically that NF is way superior mathematically, offering 3 abilities in one, but if this isn’t figured out by the community and isn’t what is known to be best then it doesn’t make much difference how well it performs because community perception>actual effectiveness.

It could also turn out that NF is better for some situations and worse for others. But I really think MG’s really belongs to Spriests, I think that’s when it really shines.

NF is a support/defensive covenant, so if you’re just steam rolling something then you want that extra damage but if it’s more about survival and support I don’t see how NF won’t be better in every way.

How important is that ability to reverse healing overall outside of specific situations? I think for PvP healers it’s not as crucial, for PvE content maybe it is, I have no idea as I don’t PvE but just thinking it out I don’t see how mind games wins in the end. Sure MG’s might mean you yourself are doing less damage but increasing someone’s uptime on their ability that’s a, dps, how is not going to be mathematically better?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.