Holy Paladins and Holy Power

A general question to those of you who play holy (if there is anyone left), do you enjoy the holy power mechanic?

I gave up on Holy after BFA due to the reintroduction of holy power, something for me just didn’t feel right about playing a ‘combo point’ healer. So as someone who would like to give holy another shot, is holy power a fun mechanic or not? Any pros or cons?

Also just to note, I’m asking from the perspective of pvp and pve… I know they’re not very strong in PvP atm but I’m mainly concerned with the general holy power mechanic.

Thanks!

1 Like

From PvE perspective :
Fun mechanic? No , it is not .

You still need to fill up holy power before big damage events.And you have to play melee.
Honestly I can’t think of any positive aspect of holy power.

After a while you get used to it. The fact,that you cant always pump healing due to not having holy power or holy shock being on cd.

I am around 30% haste now and although I am taking a break until Season 2 ,the spec feels a lot smoother than when I started progressing this season.

I dont play PvP, so I cant tell about that.

2 Likes

Don’t know about pve. For pvp, I will quote from another thread:

It’s a bs mechanic for PVP. I still pvp as holy because I suck at everything else basically, but I don’t play wow much these days, just logging for occasional daily and some epic bgs. I play other games. Someday they might fix holy, but god knows when.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear both a PVE and PVP perspective. With Dragonflight talents rework, I was hoping that they would add in an option with and without holy power, ie - a melee healer (if they want to keep beating that dead horse) and a ranged healer that was similar to pre Shadowlands… Then again, I was also hoping for a holy power or seal twist option for ret but hopefully holy can get a rework similar to Rets to make them fun to play again.

On the contrary, PvE wise , there is no such thing as ranged holy paladin. If you want to play holy paladin you have to play melee.
There are options for caster paladin, but they are not viable.

2 Likes

Sorry Akumai, but this is just bad advise.

Firstly there is no definition you’re providing on what you consider viable, is there stronger ways to play? sure. Is caster paladins still viable, 100% certainly.

For me, if as a 416 geared healer, you’re doing 140k raw HPS+ and can sustain 120-140k for 10minutes (heroic ras) without going OOM, you’re viable as a healer, when it comes to healing output atleast.
Which as a caster holy paladin, i’m doing and i have been cast healing for this whole season.

I haven’t lost any of the utility paladins largely bring to the raid, but also agree there are downsides, i do great healing output but less DPS during any downtimes.

Please feel free to check my warcraft logs: holybarry-ravencrest
To see just how viable caster paladins can be.

For 98% of players, caster paladins is entirely viable, for the top 2% who’re doing high mythic raiding and need to synnergise class strengths, meele builds have overall more viability because they can also contribute more dps and let other pumper healers handle their aspects of the fight.

But if you’re only looking at what professional mythic raiders are doing, for their composition, and not looking at your own raids needs, strengths and weaknesses, you’re going to be hitting other diminishing returns rather quickly.

To say there are no options for caster paladin is outright wrong and misleading.

The strongest way you can play, is to see what your raid needs and see if you can contibute that, if you can, in a meaningful way, you’re viable :stuck_out_tongue:

to awnser the authors main question - Holy power generation.

To be honest, at this point there is a ton of ways of generating holy power to the point you’ll hardly notice it.
In Season 2 there is even more holy power generation with the 4 set bonus, so it’ll be even less noticable as a resource.

As a caster paladin:

• If you spec fully into infusion of light, flash of light costs less mana, casters faster and does more healing then holy light. I never ever cast holy light.

Affected talents:
Moment of Compassion | Imbued infusions | Inflorescence of the Sunwell | Tower of Radiance | Divine Revelations

• With beacon of virtue you’re beaconing more people, if you’ve specced your talents into Tower of Radiance, when you directly heal a beacon target, you can generate a lot of holy power simply from flash of light casts.
    Likewise holy power will generate slowly even without a beacon.

• Infusion of light procs every other holy shock it seems, so you’ll be generating a lot of holy power while using less mana and healing.

• In downtime crusader strike is a great addition to helping with holy power which is more mana efficent, when there is no 1 to heal.

• Bestow faith is great addition to healing with the beacon up and generates holy power

• Tyr’s Deliverance is used not for it’s base healing, but it’s additional buff to flash of light

• Sanctified Wrath for more holy shocks, for more infusions of light, for more cheaper but quick and powerful flash of lights (which will largely give you holy power back)

General healing notes:

• Holy paladin healing is effected by the distance of the target from you.
    If you’re in a caster build your raid is ranged heavy, standing in range is going to be more rewarding.

If your meele heavy, going into meele more will show better results.

If its split, stand in meele, but try to face ranged and meele for light of dawn.

I usually find myself going between them depending on which fight and the phase the boss is in.

1 Like

I really hate that the forum doesn’t more clearly show which of your characters is selected.

This is my holy paladin :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as Ret and Prot heals at least twice as much with WoG by picking one talent in their spec trees, I think Holy Power is the least of Holy’s problem, but I do agree that it’s unnecessary and annoying.

Holy Power is just an old dead mechanic tbh

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.