Homophobia in roleplay needs to cease

I feel like this thread has become a “who would you pick to VA the PC races in the event of a remake?” Maybe that’s a new thread in the making.

OT: Homophobia still sucks

2 Likes

I knew Azula and Li-Ming shared VA, and that Fem Bounty Hunter and Handmaiden shared it, but I somehow didn’t draw the connection that she voiced all four.

No other way around it. With the Recruit Handmaiden/Mical as any gender mod in KOTOR 2, Grey DeLisle and Greg Ellis (Cullen in DA) pulls a very good LGBT performance

1 Like

That’s quite the range though, I’m impressed. Li-Ming sounds alot more sailor moon-esque than the Bounty Hunter does. (And that isnt bad, it suits Li-Ming’s character.)

I was rather mad that her first appearance in BfA wasn’t the current design, because that’s how I’ve always seen her through the comics.

As I am both very bad at recognizing voices and remembering names, may I ask you to dispense your knowledge of interesting voice actress please? (Looking for someone slightly less deep/grave than Vivien Reid, with a slight rasp to it)

1 Like

Alix Wilton Regan? She’s Female Inquisitor Voice 1 in Dragon Age. Also Aya in Assassin’s Creed Origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92uudhuCbg

Then there’s Vanessa Marshall who voiced Black Canary in Young Justice and Hera in Star Wars Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgTWfPp7zg

2 Likes

You are awesome, thank you!

Wait, so can you have both of them at the same time? or is it I have to pick one?

I’m told the mod should have an option to swap between them, but so far I haven’t found it. Once you recruit Mical, it’ll override Handmaiden in the party selection screen. Both are still on board the ship and you can still talk with them, but only one of them can be taken with you as a party member after both have been recruited. For this reason I always do Dantooine last.

If you play dark side with RCM, it’ll also recruit both romance rivalries in the end with Atton/Mical dueling each other to death, and Visas/Handmaiden. It’s certainly fun to see Atton Snark both Handmaiden and Mical every chance he gts.

There’s been a few times the thread’s veered off-topic. I think most of the points and counterpoints have already been made at this stage. Which is good, I’m really glad that Argent Dawn has been able to discuss this in so much detail already. And also good to see people respecting other’s choices on character ships, because that can get a little heated sometimes, unfortunately. But not here!

1 Like

It’s done a damn sight better than a thread on the US forums from a year ago I ended up finding re: LGBT+ characters in WoW.

Y-i-k-e-s.

3 Likes

A guilty pleasure of mine when I have spare time is to browse the US forums to see how they are compared to ours.

And yeah, they can get really concerning. Also very common to see someone loudly complain that they got silenced for being an absloute a-hole(& being it in their post) and proclaiming freedom of speech and the US constitution as a defense of their behaviour.

What’s more concerning that we seem to be more aware of the US Constitution and what it entails than they are. Same goes with the Confederation.

4 Likes

Average US person online: “The civil war/Confederacy wasn’t just about slavery!”

The rest of the world: “True, it was just 99.8% about slavery.”

The Confederate declaration of independence quite literally name drops slavery as their reason for secession and they go on to mention it some 20 times through out the declaration.

“States rights to freedom from the government” is also a myth – the Confederation had much, much less civil freedoms and a more oppressive government to the point of martial law.

The Confederation lasted for 4 years. It’s not a heritage; it’s a traitorous, failed rebellion movement based around slavery.

6 Likes

Still sad to see how people glorify it even today & how messages/ways from the confederacy can be be seen implemented in modern day populism/generally any time in the world’s modern history when a racist political movement has gained traction.

It’s always the whole “we fight against an opressive goverment for our rights!” in some way or form when it just boils down to “Im a giant douche who cant accept that people don’t like that I am!”

World of Warcraft has lasted more than 3 times as long as the Confederacy.

Anyway, it’d be neat if Blizz added more (read: even one) main character who was LGBT+ in WoW.

3 Likes

I fight against an oppressive government by advocating for an even more oppressive government

1 Like

A main LGBTQ+ character would be amazing in any direction they took, but I also think it would be cool if Blizzard dared to be a little bolder than most of the triple A companies, and had it be maybe a male gay character/couple.

While there are exceptions(Like the DA series) in most cases when a big gaming publisher adds lgbtq representation to their games it’s a near majority often a lesbian(or bi but still ladies) couple/character. Very rarely male characters, and even more rarer, any trans.

Probably because the F/F character/couple can still be sold as “sexy” towards certain demographics to avoid any major backlash from bigots they still want money from. Bi is usually also very common with this too since it can be played as: “Well she -might- still like guys if she’d just get to know them!”

But regardless, any main character being anything would be super cool regardless!

1 Like

But you fail to see the point, it doesn’t matter if they turn out even worse, or if the world ends!

As long as you can say that it triggered those liberal SJW’s then it’s worth even your own life!

(Some people geniunely think this is deeply concerning)