Homophobia in rp needs to cease

A good alternative, is act smug or Just show some distaste thought emotes, dont need to use obscene words.

I agree for the most part and think I covered your point with one of my specifications.

If somebody is stretching the reach of their character into material they wouldn’t really have access too in order to cause offense, I could see that being taken as meta and thus, more targetted towards OOC.

3 Likes

My elves don’t use obscene words anyway (for the most part) because it would go against their teachings of class and dignity.

5 Likes

And how would this be OK for racism, but not for homophobia?
Double standards much?

1 Like

Again, there is no homophobia in Wow so I dont see the need of invent it.
Edit: Ignore the lvl 10 poster and lets keep the discussions on track.

1 Like

I once made a thread on this particular topic already and got a wealth of responses:

And as for a more direct example, my human warlock absolutely hates every race that are currently members of the Horde as he has a long history of being betrayed, attacked and invaded by them, leaving nothing else (quite literally as his entire household, everyone who was dear to him and the kingdom he hails from got wiped out in the many wars between the Horde and the Alliance) than his hatred and an investment in the Alliance military to constantly beat the Horde back and down until they cease for exist. He will freely smacktalk and use derogatory words (fitting the setting) when dealing with any Orc, Tauren, TRoll etc.

meanwhile I also have Horde characters who either despise the Alliance and/or humans on an equal level or ar indifferent. I am yet to get reported for my characters’ conduct though.

Remember to put the pandarens/Lilynore troll alt on kignore and keep the attention on the topic! Dont engage with it.

:rainbow:

Specism(Not our type of racism) between fantasy races is entierly a thing in the setting.

Homophobia isnt, plus its also forbidden by the ToS. That enough should be the end of it tbh.

1 Like

Ok, report the derailer, and if this thread gets locked, I will make a third one and will link your opinions on the actual theme in it.

4 Likes

Going back to what you quoted me on briefly, I make this argument on the basis where the wall between IC and OOC is broke down briefly for the sake of amusement’s sake.

For example, when somebody references song lyrics from an amusing OOC song.

I don’t personally like this as it takes me out of the moment, but I don’t comment as I see it as a mostly harmless attempt to amuse people OOC.

I apply the same ruling to people’s delivery of “IC Hate crimes” like racism.

If somebody is leaning more towards OOC deliveries, then I can only see it as more targeted towards the OOC player.

Going back to the subject of racism, I think we both have similar approaches IC. Though, you also don’t have to give Blood Elves much reason to be racist, it comes with being so far up their own arses.

This in mind, I refer to consistent application of standards and rules. Racism and homophobia are considered “hate crimes”.

So if you want to report one, you have to report the other. If you don’t report one, you cannot justify reporting the other as they are both the same category of infringement.

My personal stance is people trying their best to be IC and immersed in the world shouldn’t be judged for it OOC as that goes against the common decency of keeping IC, IC.

2 Likes

You cannot reason with them Irelia (love the name btw).

Trust me many have tried.

Being “IC” doesnt give a free pass to violate any of the rules, including not spouting homophobic slurs. The hate speech towards racism is also more if you suddenly start calling all black characters in RP the “N-Word” and generally showing hatred due to their skin colour.

An orc dissing a human is within the setting & not a breach of the ToS.

1 Like

Not report Exactly, but if one doesnt exist, I consider it bad rp and either Just ignore and tell that isn’t accepted.

My definition of how the rules should be applied would be covered in your use-case in regards to the racism part. Using such language means you are taking a lot from real world history which I don’t see applying to the lore of WoW. So it falls under my definition of going too meta with your IC depiction which then can be viewed as targeting OOC instead.

As for homophobia. I apply the same standards. If somebody is going around not talking how their race should and using language that is pulled from OOC culture, I don’t see that as valid.

The racial slur for black people isn’t really a thing in WoW, and I imagine lots of the slurs for homosexuals wouldn’t be either.

That is not to say I don’t think there are some valid angles to take. I refer back to my first post mentioning a population deficit. Some of my elves might be more unpleasant to same sex relationships as they are passionate about the blood elves becoming repopulated and they don’t see same sex couples as helping with this problem.

This doesn’t make me a homophobe OOC. In fact, OOC my view is the opposite. Plenty of humans on earth. Same sex couples won’t hurt anyone.

There will be some specific areas where I can see it happen and it not mean that the person doing it hates all gay people. And if they are following the rules like everyone else, we shouldn’t be telling them what to do.

I have my own idea of how Blood Elves should act and behave but I don’t tell people who don’t meet this image how to RP their character and accuse them of lore breaking and doing it to get on my nerves.

4 Likes

If they are following the rules, then they wont be rping an homophobic char and that is fine, and if one cant be told they might be breaking the lore, then they will be blacklisted and ignored.

1 Like

I want to ask this though, ultimatly:

What does it add/bring to the table at all that couldnt be achieved with litterally anything else? As I brought up in the previous thread multiple times, Azeroth is a completly diffrent world, a completly diffrent history. The humans arent even the same type of humans as us. It has none of the historical rise of homophobia, because it is completly non-existant.

And with all of that, what does it add that -nothing- else could do by playing a homophobic character? I cant think of anything, but I can see it instead being really hurtful to your fellow players who meet such things in real life & want to simply have fun and make stories together here away from all of that.

The RP here isnt some grand way to explore diffrent discussions/ideals or make some kind of point, it’s a thing most of us have as a hobby to get away from life a bit or just have fun. And adding in homophobia into the mix adds nothing, but tarnishes so much more.

There is also the more factual aspect of, do you -really- want to be the pioneer of Azeroth in being a homophobe? Since again, its not existant in the lore, meaning that whatever character you theoretically choose to RP as that will be the first. Do you really want that to be your legacy?

This did come up in the last thread too, and it’s something which Obahar here does to some extent - valueing the greater good of a bloodline over an individuals want or need for same-sex romantic relationships, with his relating specifically to his own bloodline and the bloodlines of other wealthy families.

Generally speaking I feel as if this is detatched enough from real-world homophobic rhetorics which are often based in false notions of masculinity or adherence to religious beliefs to where IC can more easily remain IC, and even then, it’s not often something I just throw out there immediately - I’ve cleared the air about it OOC first on the occasions I’ve brought it up to make sure it’s okay. And while in the instances I have roleplayed, the go-ahead has been given, if somebody were to tell me no, I’d have my character hold his tongue. It might not be what he would do IC, but the person behind the screen matters more to me than my own character on it.

Generally speaking though it is very, very difficult to see a character’s homophobic views as simply a character’s, given that the player has full agency over what the character says and has to type in those things and think to themselves “this is something I am comfortable hitting enter on.”

And while yes, everyone has their own idea of what a race or group of characters should act like in WoW, the difference between a race like elves or draenei acting quirky and ditzy and bordering on comic relief and someone presenting homophobic views in-game is that the latter is potentially a far more negative experience to the person behind the screen given that homophobia may be rampant in their day-to-day life.

1 Like

In the Muh medieval case most slurs wouldn’t make sense because they had different meanings back then.

A F-word was a measurement unit
Gay/Queer meant happiness or being happy
Etc

WoW is also as scientifically proven & established by the devs/writers, not a Medieval setting/game.

It’s its own thing.

2 Likes

Im going to call you a kilometre anyways.

1 Like