How are Hunters at surviving?

I can’t decide between paladin or hunter. Both have their pros and cons.

But in general I like playing classes that can survive.

How are hunters at that?
I know that they obviously kite to survive but when I do that someone else just attacks me and then I die.

I struggle to survive when people get up on me face to face.
I also get completely destroyed while I get stunned.
How do you avoid that?

Why do you play Hunter and what do you dislike about paladins (if you’ve played one)

If what you are looking for is survivability then Paladin is the superior choice. We have a pseudo bubble and a 30% heal, Palas have more than 1 proper bubbles and as much healing as they want, so it’s a no contest on that regard.

Because I just really like it and fits the way I like to play I guess. Plus I like the fantasy of it aswell, and having a pet fighting side by side with me.

I have such a hard time deciding. Im playing mm right now in bg’s and it’s so fun sniping people and instantly kiling them.

I don’t like that they have a hard time surviving but when I manage to kite them there’s no way they will kill me.

MM also seems really fun in m+ and raids. Though idk for example if MM wouldget nerfed tomorrow, Idk if I would play them. I don’t know if I like MM becasue they are fun or becasue they do alot of damage.

I don’t want to level a MM hunter just for them to get nerfed and for me realising I just liked them because they we’re good.

But I guess I should level one, it’s fast now and I will see if I like them or not.

Sure, give it a go. I personally dislike the current MM because of Aimed Shot. Before, when MM was my main, we didn’t need to stay still to do DPS, we could freely move and still DPS without an issue, now it feels more like a caster, and casters is what I less like to play… I liked MM because I could be at range without being still waiting for channels, etc, but now it is what it is… But at least I have SV now which I like more than old MM anyway, so it’s all good. :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s one thing I also dislike. Though aimed shot deals alot of damage I want to do the whole rotation while moving. It feels dangerous to just stay still.

I dislike all the caster becasue they have to stay still.

1 Like

I will give my opinion here:

I find it weird to compare both. Okay both are dps but besides that it’s just weird to compare.
By survive you mean in PVP? what pvp, 1 vs 1, arena or BG? or pve, then when, high myth+ or hc/myth raids?
Hunters, what spec are you referring to? comparing a ranged spec to a melee spec is even more weird lol, in this case you can only compare SV to Ret pala, and still it isn’t a good comparison cause SV is not fully a melee spec, it’s a situational spec that has both melee and range modes (I’m main SV pvp and pve)

At the end I would say play with the one you enjoy, if you find yourself dying quickly, mostly in 1 vs 1, maybe you have to check your way of playing, what are the spells you are giving priority to, what build you have, stats you focus at, talent you focus at

(An example: the main guy I do content with is a Ret Pala, I’m an SV hunter, we do both pvp and pve together, he is the only Pala that I struggle against and will lose like 9/10 of the times. But when I face random Palas, I mostly win)

Generally they have quite bad survivablity in raids. Watched one of Maximums (raidleader of Limit)videos just a few days ago where he was saying Hunters have the worst survivability in the game in a raid setting. If you play BM over MM you have acces to slightly better survivability though (Im BM exclusively this expansion though so Im not 100% sure of this? As BM you obviously use your pet at all times and you can use f.e Spirit Beasts that give you a small heal. You will also have acces to Endurance Training and Survival of the Fittest).

I

Traps, binding shot, masters call with cheatah combo, feign death and disengage combo, turtle.

These are ways I use to try and get out of a in my face situation.

Stun is a hard one, I can sometimes predict a stun coming and put down a trap to counterplay it, or trinket if I have one up.

You can roar of sac in a stun too, mitigates quite a bit of damage, and survival of the fittest if you have the right pet out is use able in a stun.

Mostly it comes with practice.

I play hunter because it’s toolkit, mobile ranged dps, cool fantasy.

I dislike paladins because of their fantasy, that whole righteous thing they got going on gives me the shivers.
I did play one but just dislike their fantasy that much I abandoned him.

That is correct, I am running a Tenacity pet with me right now, which works well with my Covenant abilities, and vs Rogues that combo you mentioned is great, or at least you don’t get oneshot in their opener. Just a couple of days ago I tried it out on a Arena I was doing just for fun with my buddy, we both started in Cammo and I told him to let me open first on the priest, and wait for the Rogue to open on me, I knew I could take it, and only then he would open on the Rogue. Long story short, I survived his opener, Turtle-Bandage-Exi full HP again and we won.
I’m prefering much more a Tenacity pet atm as a SV than when I was using a Ferocity or Cunning one.

I’ll give this one a try myself.

Why do i play Hunter? Its a fun class to play, mobile, nice utility, most talents are useful albeit some more mandatory. Pets of course(AI is garbage at time though) Plenty of nice pets to tame and some even require a special way to tame them.

Reason i don’t play ret…Zzzzzzz :sleeping:

Right now ret paladins have some hard hitting abilities combined with their legendary but when it comes to fun the hunter definitely takes the cake(I think that’s how the saying goes). Survivability is highly based on kiting and using your traps properly.

Let me know how you feel about it afterwards. I mean, the leech from Ferocity is nice, but in PvP I’d rather have the extra HP, specially now that I am Necro, I currently gain 1,5k HP from the pet alone, which in turn will make both my shields from Necro slightly bigger, overall it’s a decent enough gain to justify taking such a pet imo, at least I feel able to survive easier in PvP than I did before, due to all those things combined. Plus, Survival of the Fittest comes in handy more than Bloodlust imo. As for Cunning pets, the 3% movements speed might be useful in situations like capture the flag, but every class and their grandma has mobility and/or hard CC in their kits anyway, so I don’t think it’s worth, sure Master’s Call is useful no doubt, but I can do basicly the same with Posthaste which is my go-to talent in that row.

Same, and I guess all SV Hunters out there play it for the same reasons, I mean you don’t play SV because it’s topping the charts…

True, the AI can sucks sometimes, but there are some stuff you can “fix” via macro. For example, the biggest complaint I have seen about Kill Command is that it doesn’t work without LoS, but I fixed that by simply adding the line /petattack to it, this way if the pet is not in LoS to use KC, it will still walk (or run if Dash is off CD) towards the target and once it is in range KC will be used (if you keep spamming ofc), it’s not the perfect fix but works well enough for me.

Edit: Forgot to say, in some situations even with that macro the pet won’t go due to pathing problems. For example, the towers in Alterac Valley, I usually Harpoon one of the mobs at the edge to quickly get on top, most times the pet won’t be able to find the path to join me if I am using that macro, I gotta put it on passive and it might, or might not get there. That’s an issue that still persists, sadly…

I can get behind that ahah.

Couldn’t agree more, at least regarding SV. I used to like MM before they made it so reliant on Aimed Shot that it feels like a caster now, before it was more fun imo, BM I never liked it much but I can see the appeal for the ones that do, if SV didn’t exist as it is now I would probably be playing other class, like Monk or something, but yeah SV is the spec I find the most fun to play, despite the issues it still has, imagine if it didn’t have such issues.

I agree, partially. That works well for the ranged specs, but for us that are melee (or hybrid) a bit more tankyness would be welcome. However, again back to the first point, that’s why I went Necro and with a Tenacity pet, I feel that combo does help enough to solve the issue for now.

Not quite. Posthaste doesn’t guarantee that you won’t be slowed immediately after using it. There’s nothing like Master’s call + Cheetah, warriors charge at you and you’re already at the other end of the map by the time they connect.
It’s way too useful to pass on I think.

1 Like

True, but that is why I said “basicly” instead of “exactly”. It does the same basic thing (frees you from movement impairment) but the details are different. :wink:

instantly kiling them :smiley:

Pally: spammable quick heal, poti w/ dispel (Kyrian), 6 sec ST stun, full heal, movement speed burst with its conduit, and 2 godmode abilities. 70% slow ST as ret, AoE 50% slow as prot.

Hunter: pet for tanking and flavorful utility (MM rarely use them), 30% hp instant heal, 4 sec ST pet stun, baseline 50% slow for kiting, deflective defensive (but you can’t cast), long CC freeze, AoE slow traps, long-lasting movement boost. Can jump back and reset aggro + combat.
AoE knockback with MM and an 8 sec long pinning arrow.

All in all, hunter is very mobile, pally is very survivable. Take your pick based on these. :grin:

Well paldins can face tank a lot more and can heal, a hunter relies on kiting and trapping.

It’s all dependent on skill levels too, but I’d say paladin is more noob friendly, hunter takes practice.

Huntards are the same as paladins basicly but better. They have ranged interrupts, stuns, traps, too much cc. Lots of self healing and they can dispell all magic stuff on them every 15 seconds by pressing Feign Death.

???
Teach me because I’d like to have lots of self-healing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.