How can you properly adapt to players in PvP? It seems impossible

For example, I play someone and they have a really strong team and beat me. I take the loss see if there was anything I could’ve changed and queue again. Then I face the same guy again and lose. No problem!

So I change my team up to counter his, queue up and face someone completely different and lose convincingly because his team is particularly strong against mine

Then you tweek your team to compete against the last guy, queue up and I’m facing the first guy again!

I don’t want to say it’s a conspiracy lads, but whenever I change my team to counter something I seem to face the worst possible match-up there is lol. Ridiculous! I’ll keep trying though

You are asking a REALLY BIG question.

It’s like a non-player asking “How do I play WoW?”

Nobody will be able to give you a simple, concise answer.

Here are just a few things to look for when making your team:

1. Coverage. Ideally, your team will have an answer for every family - a pet that is tough against that family’s attacks, or an attack that is strong against that family.

2. Heals/Shields - against multi-hits.

3. A Nuker - against a healer/shielder.

4. A Dodger - to avoid nukes.

5. A Weather-changer - so that if your opponent changes the weather in his favour, you can change it away from that, preferably in your favour.

6. Synergy. Pets that combine well so that one will boost the attack of another.

That’s the ideal. You ain’t gonna get it all, but those are some things to keep in mind.

I just had a look at your pets. You have more than enough to get going, though some of your breeds are sub-par. For example, an S/S Fiendish Imp is amazingly strong in PvP - and every other breed is garbage.

Then, every match has two equally important parts: 1. the team you make and 2. how well you play it. You always have to adapt to your opponent’s team.

The queue is not a conspiracy. But at any given time, except maybe at prime times near the start of Pet Week, there are few people in it, so they are inclined to adapt to the teams they see others using.

The best way to start to get a handle on teams is to look at the teams other people, especially experienced people, are playing.

Here is a page discussing the most commonly seen types of teams. Click the buttons for specific examples, with explanations of the basic plans in each case (WHICH YOU MAY NEED TO MODIFY DEPENDING ON YOUR OPPONENT!):

From that page, the general areas of Clonedance and AoE/Cleave are easiest for a beginner to grasp, since in each case, there is a pretty fixed plan for the battle, and your only concern is making sure your opponent doesn’t disrupt it.

Also check out three Youtube channels. All three of them are top players, and play very well in all areas, but in their videos, each stands out as instructive for me in a slightly different area:

• Llennoca - of the three, he gives the clearest explanation of why he’s playing one move rather than another during the battles.

• Discodoggy - he often rambles on about other subjects while playing, so you may have to watch or skip through a lot to get to the nuggets, but when he makes a team on the spot, he gives a great example of how to put a team together. He’s all about coverage. He has a guide to the general principles of creating a team here: http://pvppetbattles.com/guides/creating-a-team/

• Rosqo - does some great exposition on putting a team together to counter a current meta and what the plan will be.

Try some of all three, and see what speaks to you.

P.S. Just in case, you really need these addons if you’re doing PvP:

1. Rematch - to save your teams and look up characteristics (what Elementals have Beast damage?)

2. Battle Pet Breed ID - to see breeds

3. Derangement’s Pet Battle Cooldowns and/or Pet Tracker to see your opponent’s available moves. Derangement’s is better for PvP because it covers more cases, especially for pets in the backline, but I do still like seeing the three current moves front and centre with Pet Tracker, so I use both. In all three of those channels you will see how these addons are used.

Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks :slight_smile:

Got a just question for you if you don’t mind. I’m having trouble with to specific teams. Pretty sure it’s the same dude, but who knows!

Weebomination/Twilight Sister and Axe beak hatchling I think it is. Is there a general counter to it? If I make specific changes I’ll just end up facing someone different. My whole team has lost 50% health before I can even do anything

The other team which was a nightmare was two twilight sisters and Magical Crawdad. He kept swapping to Crawdad for wish and that dot heal when the sisters were taking damage. Then swapping back so they’d get fully healed. Then by the time that happened they had that aoe meteorite move. Then he’d swap between them constantly to get out of their CDs

Yeah, the TCS Meteorite move is vastly overpowered - and easy! - so it’s much used by people who just want easy wins.

So how to think about this?

Sandstorm is a great counter to AoE in general, since the sandstorm knocks 70 (give or take, depending on power) from each hit. So, against a cleave, it reduces total damage taken 210 each round.

Anything faster than the TCS, thus nullifying its dodge, and with consistent Humanoid damage, is a good counter. I’m thinking S/S Qiraji Guardling (with Sandstorm as a bonus) or Barnaby, but there are others.

A team heal can be useful against any AoE team. Frostwolf Ghostpup would be a prime example.

You want a nuker for the Crawdad to kill it fast.

This reminds me of a team in one of Rosqo’s vids. Have a look:

If you don’t have a Qiraji, an Idol would be a possible substitute. I see your Autumnal Sproutling isn’t P/P, but might be ok anyhow, depending on how well you and your opponent play.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.