How do I fix the weather feature? Can't see rain?

I just got into Stormwind and noticed the dark clouds in the sky. I can also hear it is raining, which sounds awesome! (WOW - Shadowlands)

Only thing that is troubling me is that I CAN’T SEE the rain!! And so I want to know how I go about changing that, if it is possible.

I saw on Twitter from the WOW official account (posted 25/10/2021 titled ‘Bit of weather on the horizon’) that weather effects were coming as of 9.1.5, and in that small clip you can also see the rain in Stormwind. Well it is now 9.2.0 and I am not seeing anything lol.

I have tried looking it up on here, on youtube, reddit etc. I have mostly seen posts about switching the weather feature off…but not ON ?

I have also tried the command /console WeatherDensity 3 but it does nothing. And I try a quick command of / reload afterwards but still… nothing… not even a single DROP.

I’ve looked thoroughly on the game options settings, but I cannot see any options to switch this feature on via the game menu. I can only see the "sound effects’ option via game menu - System, but again, I can hear the rain I just can’t see any lol.

Edit - in addition: This bit is probably unrelated but, I think I used to remember years ago, seeing snow outside of Ironforge and zooming in you could see your toon breathe out cold air - not sure if that is a thing anymore, I haven’t been there in ages lol. But yeah I’m sure I used to be able to see the weather and that it was a thing lol.

Any ideas? :slight_smile:

Dynamic Weather addon

1 Like

You could try increasing ‘‘Particle Density’’ if it isn’t maxed already, in the ‘‘System > Graphics’’ options.

Otherwise sorry to tell you but the the weather effects have been quite nerfed over WoWs lifespan. It used to be much more intense in the earlier versions of the game (vanilla era - 2004+) but due to 2004 hardware, it was performance heavy, even though I found it very pleasing to look at and immerse into.

Snowing in 1.12 (Vanilla)

Rain and Fog in 1.12 (Vanilla)

I think the Classic and TBC era servers have added this weather system back into the game. But for Shadowlands, you’ll see drizzles at best.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.