How do skill points work?

I’ve tried reading guides on Wowhead etc, I’ve read the text in game, but it still makes no sense to me. I’m 100/100 blacksmithing, I have maxed out Weaponsmithing, Hafted weapons, and axes on my talent tree, yet I still can’t craft my Primal Molten Greataxe past lvl 3. What am I missing?

I’m probably not the one you should ask this but do you have any (blacksmithing) profession gear?

If you only do Blacksmithing for axe, it is very expensive way to get it.
You could just make crafting order to someone and would be much cheaper.

I can’t remember exactly what I’m talented into… however my swords are maxed along with a few other bits in weapon smithing. Have you put points into the ‘hammer control’ tree? There’s points in that that increase your inspiration, inspiration % bonus and chances of it proccing i think. Also have you got the epic hammer? My BS skill is 122 base + the different weapon skill bonus, and then inspiration on top. That’s why you see a lot of crafters with 40-43% inspiration procs for 418 weapons!

Add me ingame if you want more help but I don’t think I’ll be on until mid week due to work.

Short answer:

Spend points in Hammer control, spend points in poignant plans, use rank 3 mats, use stable fluidic draconium and/or use illustrous insight. Keep recrafting until you get max rank.

Long answer (Warning too many details here):

Primal Molten Greataxe has a difficulty of 300.
Concentrated Primal Infusion adds 50 difficulty.
A rank 3 missive for custom stats adds 15 difficulty.
A rank 3 embellishment adds 25 difficulty.

This means the difficulty of the recipe for 418 weapon with embellishment and customized stats is 390.

You get 100 skill from maxing Blacksmithing.
22 Skill from having blue quality profession tool and accessories.
30 skill from weaponsmiting
30 skill from hafted
50 skill from Axes, picks and polearms

That’s 232 skill. Which as you can see is no where near the required 390 for rank 5.

So how can you make rank 5?
First using rank 3 mats gives you 25% of the base difficulty of the recipe as extra skill. The base difficulty is 300. So rank 3 mats give you 75 extra skill.

Hammer control tree gives you 40 skill more.

This will bring your skill to 347.

Which means you need inspiration to proc in order to make rank 5.
Inspiration will give you 50 skill as baseline which will bring your total when inspired to 397 which is above the skill required.

There is also Illustrous insight which gives 30 skill and costs 50 artisan mettle.

Spending points in “Poignant plans” give you 50% extra inspiration bonus skill.
Using Rank 3 Stable fluidic Draconium gives you 25% more.
Using Black dragon touched hammer gives 15% more. That’s a total of 90%. So you can get 1.9*50 bonus skill when you are inspired. Which is 95 bonus skill enabling you to reach max level with just rank 2 mats when inspired.

To increase inspiration chance, use rank 5 Apron and rank 5 Black dragon touched hammer with inspiration custom stat and rank inspiration enchant, and max points in Poignant Plans and inspiration incense. The maximum possible is 43% chance to be inspired.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.