How do you imagine Sylvanas would die?

That’s equivalent of saying that the way Vol’jin died would be associated with his fathers WC3 career. Dying to a trash mob.

Sorry, but i don’t like underwhelming/humiliating character deaths. Regardless of my personal taste or opinion on the character in particular.

Unless if by “punishment that is asked for” entails having her with an humilliating one that on top of having those that do not want her dead, also has them sucking with the most unsatisfactory death imaginable, i still fail to see how throwing a bone at Forsaken players that have had their race story revolve around her traits, would in any way diminish the satisfaction other players might have.

Have we really reached a point where this:

Is the standard we are to expect?

The damage was done anyway. Leaderless for 2nd expansion in row. Hey ho!

It’s not like it would happen, but I believe that Sylvanas really earned it.

2 Likes

I do not think that a character is at fault for awful storywritting decisions. And certainly not to the point of having its demise being such as to humilliate and alienate those players that were sold on the values or theme it represents.

Ah, we’re at the point where you read what you want to read again, no matter what I say. Okay, do your thing.

Well yes, but in case of Sylvanas it’s not like she was Horde champion, there are many examples since vanilla about forsaken sabotaging even Horde at times. So while it is true that we shouldn’t pin all the blame for character, but what if character is consistant in it’s depiction to be pretty much sabotagist?
Should be held it against character, or writers?
It’s not like it was a massive flip.

3 Likes

cause when they kill of major characters they should do in a good way actully for once?

To be honest, Zarao, This is not a populair opinion, but I really don’t care;
I agree with you 100% If Sylvanas has to die, then give her some form of redemption, it shouldn’t be relevant what the Alliance thinks, they wanted her out, she’s out, they wanted her dead, she’s, probably, dead.
This isn’t spite either, I honestly believe the character and her story arc’s closure deserves far beter than to serve as some fapmoment to a select crowd with personal issues against a Fictional Character.

Sure, agreed, she did allot of bad things, but so did Saurfang, so did Jaina Proudmoore, both just got away with everything so far aswell, and one of them is still alive(and no, from my perspective, NON RP, I don’t need Jaina to actually kick the bucket)

For those loyalists that Blizzard gave a choice and those Forsaken players, let her die some kind of heroes death, for Lordaeron, for Quel’thalas(Admittedly, I don’t see it happening now, but I really can’t see where this plot is going anymore, it seems all over the place, currently)
I really liked her as some anti hero character, shame Blizzard decided to go all out in BFA with Black vs White, they can atleast fix that mess up a little by redeeming her in some way.

1 Like

Sylvanas has conquerored all of Azeroth and rules the world. She decides to take a walk in Elwynn and then hears Mwwwarrrfffggglll.

Here rests Sylvanas Windrunner
Killed by a Level 7 Murloc
What a noob!!!

She was. Simply not in the conventional way.

She was a shady ally of convenience that behaved bordering on evil, but still fought for and with the faction for their goals.
Even if only out of selfish interest. Pretty similar to Lor’themar and Gallywix.

Having said theme being one that you or any other player, dislikes, shouldn’t be something defining in regards of what its ending should be.

I don’t like the White Knight narrative, and still i’m not wishing on humiliating deaths for Anduin, Varian or Jaina, with the lone purpose of triggering those that do in fact like said theme.

It’s one thing to want reasonable consequences for a certain character given context and setting.
But an entirely different thing to directly advocate punishment for character or race with the most negative outcome one can think of. To the point of making it expressively denigrating for players involved.

I think that if Sylvanas is to go (at this point i fail to see how Blizzard could come up with a narrative route that didn’t have her dying), the least writers should do is give said character the mercy kill that doesn’t leave the race and values she represents in such an humiliating position.
Remove her without crapping over 15 years of Forsaken story and theme.

Is it that bad to ask to at least give her character the closure that reconciles her with the values she has been leading for so long? To at least give the Forsaken a way out of the mess without going down the crapper with the likes of Calia?

I mean, now that her butchering is a given, are people really that spiteful that would rather have another Kael’thas? Another Fandral? Just to spite certain players?

The mindset that goes with “Because i dislike her character, her story, or her theme, i want her demise to be as humiliating as possible”, is the kind of reasoning that gave us the forced and underwhelming death of Vol’jin.

And i don’t want that.

3 Likes

Well, she was killed by a low level dungeon boss, after all.

2 Likes

I don’t think Sylvanas is going to die any time soon, no matter what some might wish. But the damage concerning her character is already done, which is solely the writers’ fault who wanted it to be that way when it could as well have been done differently.
At this point though, I don’t think Sylvanas and the Forsaken can still be considered one and the same. Why would anyone still want to follow a leader to whom they are “nothing”?
I’m afraid this ship has sailed for good, and to be honest, I don’t care anymore what becomes of her now.

Loses Mak’gora to vulpera

3 Likes

I hope the night elves get to do the job, everything else would be boring.

3 Likes

True.
But that’s why I think it’s necessary for Sylvanas demise to at least try and salvage some of the stuff that destroyed said relation.

That’s why I think that, if Sylvanas is to go, she should do so by redeeming herself at least in front of those she lead for the entirety of the game. Not saying she should be considered the hero or saviour of the entire game.

She could perfectly die the despicable villain from both the Alliance and most of the Hordes point of view.

But I do think that she should be given the opportunity of having a good gesture towards the Forsaken. One that could signal players that the Forsaken narrative can go on as they know it, without having to overwrite 15 years of history and background for their race.

I think that much like it happened with Kaelthas, and Zuljin, players do not deserve to have yet another icon going down that way.

I do think that her death is inevitable.

So… retcon BtS, where she was made their abuser, and her loyalist dialoge, where she said she only ever pitied them? Because I really don’t see how else you would do that.

1 Like

By following with her character description in Legion. The one that hinted that she would have to make a choice between herself and her people, and pay the ultimate price for it.

Yes, I do think that her sacrificing herself to save the Forsaken would make a nice way of salvaging at least part of the character that Golden and pals have so thoroughly ruined.
It wouldn’t require her to make much of a leap, they would just need to have her doubt her way, and push beyond remorse to self-sacrifice.
Have the hints and peaks we saw regarding her sisters, and the pity she has regarding her people, expanded to have a Grom (MU) death.

Again, not wanting validation from anyone’s point of view except the Forsaken one. That, would fix some of the problem with their race. From my POV at least.

Ok, I’ll not enage with that level of wishful thinking that has nothing to do with where we left the character.

See, this is the problem.

You insist that before BFA, Sylvanas was somehow perfect for the Forsaken, and that she was the be-all end-all of Forsaken players.

And she’s not.

You, and a minority of players, might see her that way. You’re free to think so. But that doesn’t make it objectively true: for most people, the Forsaken are so much more than just Sylvanas’ pets.

A “compromise” that satisfies the perhaps 3% of players who actually want Sylvanas to be “redeemed” for the Forsaken isn’t going to happen, because the other 97% of players either want her put out of her misery, or punished.

You act as though your “compromise” is a balance between what “both sides” want, but you’re actually arguing from a minority position that doesn’t represent either Horde or Alliance players.

A bit yeah. But given the whole thread was about theorising outcomes, to speculate was inevitable.

Anyway, I do not think it’s as far fetched. To this day, there were certainly some hints to it across several narrative pieces.
And of course, the Legion bit I reference and that was completely dropped in Legion.

It’s either that or die an absolute villain. Given the fan base, the popularity, and the way they ended up forking the player experience to fit with those that supported her, I wouldn’t rule out a possibility of her having some sort of redeeming ending.
I’d say odds are about 60-40 (tilting towards absolute villain).

Edit: Just to clarify, I DO NOT want a Kerrigan. I would HATE another forced Illidan story. But I DO want an ending that doesn’t destroy the whole basis for the Forsaken race. And carrying out extreme punitive measures against Sylvanas, while at the same tim prompting the likes of Calia, does exactly that.
I DO NOT want a Kerrigan, and I rather have Sylvanas dead. But I DO NOT want a Zuljin, Kaelthas,etc.

That was my hope as well. And I doubt most Forsaken would be happy to just follow Calia into the light and give up everything that defined them as a race.
However, I don’t see what that “good gesture” from Sylvanas could be now. Saying she pitied them is not enough.

Really? Let’s be honest, for most people the Forsaken are just an abomination that should never have existed in the first place.