How low can you Solo?

I solo killed Ji’arak world boss the other week, with an item level of 375, on this DK in blood spec. It took 32 minutes, but I did it alone.

There was no one around, at about 3am, and I thought that if I killed it alone it might increase my chance of getting some loot (I still didn’t get any loot). At first I had no idea if it would be doable, but went straight at it anyway.

This world boss will 1 shot a caster with an item level of over 400!

I think this shows how unbalanced melee classes are at the moment in comparison to ranged spell casters. We should not be able to kill a world boss alone. I should have needed a healer to support me. Melee have far too much self healing, which is needed yes, with the very low health pool we now have.

How it used to be, we had over a million health, and a great amount of armour points, Healers kept the tanks alive, DPS sustained their own lives more with some self healing per damage done. The way it is now reflects badly in PvP. This is why Melee classes are “broken”.

Anything that a 375 DK can do, a 400+ Warlock & Void Walker should also be able to do! If I go against a 375 DK in PvP, on my 412+ Warlock, what would be the result? Something similar perhaps.

I think the only way to fix this would be to increase all stats for all classes, and especially increase the health pools and damage, back to how it used to be. - Tanks should not be healing themselves.

How low can you solo?
What other class and specs can walk through this end-game content alone?

1 Like

I dont know if this is bait or not but ya know, a self healing tank vs squishy dps.

4 Likes

How is it bait?

I am asking a question. I give my own answer with my opinion, and I ask the question to the community.

How low can you solo?

If tanks had a decent amount of health and armour, they shouldn’t need to self heal. The job of a tank is to gain and maintain aggravations - not to heal.

You say “a self healing tank”, I say “a healer in plate armour”.

3 Likes

So you are kinda asking, that in the next expansion the self heals of tanks should be lowered even more?

The skill ceiling should be brought even lower?

If they remove even more self healing, the reactive game play, where you can kinda fix an error during a raid boss, then tanking will become even more snooze fest than it is now.

Personally I’d love to see return of tanking in MoP and even in WoD to some extend, damn did I have a good time back then.

Prunning and reducing tank ability to mitigate dmg has really made tanking uninteresting.

@Shaderel, not exactly asking that, no.

I am asking what else melee classes can solo, that other classes have no chance at all in doing.

I think that, not in the next expansion but in this current one, they should fix this big problem.

It seems to me that the only reason they have squashed/crushed all of the stats down so much, is due to the programmatic aspect of stats. An integer can only store so many zeros. A database full of large numbers takes up more storage space. Data in transit containing larger numbers and more decimals, takes up more bandwidth. So at some point in any evolving game - they have to crush stats!

But I think they have crushed them way too far. There is much more head-room available, than they are using. We used to have Millions of health points. And since you refer to Pandaria, let me remind you that a Chaos Bolt in pandaria would critical strike for 1million to 2million damage!

They have crushed stats too far, this is why melee and Tanks especially are having to heal themselves to a point where they can now solo content which others can not.

Before they nerfed it, a paladin could even solo MOTHER in Uldir. (Check youtube for that).

Depends how you define soloing content, I’m not rushing into a fight that’s taking me half an hour to win. There’s different types of tanks, if they were all the same it would be boring. Dks are known for their self healing, other tanks of the same lvl probably couldn’t win that fight.

I do agree that scaling/ilvl jumps are out of control though. Try pinging 120 and going into a bg, it’s unpleasent. Also that fight was designed for one azerite gear below 370. You’d have 2 extra traits per slot if you have season 2 azerite gear.

I don’t see a balancing issue when some specs can solo something in half an hour that will take a group just a few minutes.
Who really cares if most can’t do it. Its half an hour so most wont bother.

Well hey, can’t argue with that. It does seem silly how tanks have low health pools yet high healing/leech (except Warriors with their ignore pain.) If I were to re-design tanks in WoW, I would make their health and armour much more higher than normal but severely reduce or remove their self healing capabilities.

1 Like

Blood DK were always notorious for soloing stuff anyway.
Warlock were too, until somewhat recently when we got that weak as a noodle Voidwalker and barely any per sustain.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve barely played in BfA, but traditionally the BDK’s MO was to take the damage and heal it up - much more than the other tanks.

Does your comment apply to all tanks? Could a 375 Prot Warrior so the same? … depends on adds available, I suppose … but without adds to VR from?

If anything, Prot Warriors are probably the weakest tanks in the sense of actually tanking. They’re great “glass-cannon tanks” in Mythic+ for their high DPS, but when it comes to steadily tanking, I find them pretty weak in comparison to other tanks.

It would be weird to give Prot Warrior’s a self heal though, probably better to just give them a significantly improved defensive stance/much higher HP and armour than other tanks, since they don’t have their self heals like pretty much every other tank, and victory rush is so situational. I don’t know, but that’s what makes sense to me anyway.

The way you worded it looked a bit sucpicious, and the comparison with a self healing tank vs a squishy no heal dps. =)

This issue is not a new one. WoW has had a long time some classes that can solo a lot of content and some classes does not have a chance. Warlocks used to be able to solo some bosses with VW but can’t say now, I have not played my lock in BfA yet.

As for the soloing, there is a YT video where a prot paladin is soloing mythic Shrine of the Storm. That is a bit extreme :sunglasses:

I tried to solo the same instance in normal mode with prot paladin (iLevel 375) and killing things was not an issue, but the mechanics with Lord Stormsong was. Funny tough, mobs were a lot more difficult to kill than bosses.

I wonder if I am able to solo some Argus raids on normal with that iLevel

Some of the best classes for soloing hard stuff is ranged - namely Warlock and Hunter they have better damage and their own pocket tank that they can revive again and again.

1 Like

Personal loot is a fixed chance per player. About 14% we think.

It’s not really about how unbalanced melee classes are. There’s a reason stuff has always been solod on a Blood DK. The class mechanics of DK make them very durable. Couple that with an ever expanding power curve and it’s not so shocking.

While we had a squish they’ve still kept ever growing ilevels so this will happen and more often.

1 Like

You shouldn’t compare melee dps with a blood dk in terms of balance lmao?

Tbh Blood DKs are famous to be one the best class for soloing content due to their tanking mechanics (basically a vampire tank), thats why peoples can solo some bosses when the 90% of other classes can’t.

Anyway, trust me that you shouldn’t compare a Blood DK to any other melee class, especially in a DPS spec

This isn’t a melee issue, this is a dk blood tank self healing thing.

Soo the one tank specc which is buildt upon self healing all the damage taken means melee is broken?
I’m sorry but there’s so much wrong with that statement and blood DK solos are old news, see Mionee

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree, my Warlock has no problems soloing group content including Mythic dungeon bosses and Legion Heroic raids (mechanics permitted).