How the f*ck do i actually counter convoke the spirits?

Getting into an arena skirmish just now as an unholy dk, i admit im a bit low geared with only 25k max hp but a boomie coming out of stealth and immdiatelyl started channeling concoke, the secund i sat the effect appear over me i died having taken 32k dmg in just one secund. and this isent even the exception everywhere it seems to be when you see a boomie using that skill it WILL delete you…

im genuinly stumped, like how am i supposed to counter them? sure i could just pray that i randomly throw out icebound fortitude anit magic shell and anti magic zone all at the same time when my spidey sence tells me a truck is coming towards me at 200m/s but they can sit in stealth and just wait it out.

Blizzard CANNOT have allowed this ability to get through testing as it is without any way to counter it but i have no idea how, does anyone know?

Your hp is too low like you said, if the guy has gear it can hit for 10k+ non crit and 20k+ crit.

There is nothing you can do.

2 Likes

ja okay sure.
but that was 32k in the first secund, even with lightning reflexes id need more than that to even survive, and thats even before the question of beginning to fight back.

if theres no way to counter this then why is this thing in the game? i cant believe something that broken cant be stopped in some way

Because he popped everything, imagine full geared player got deleted everyday so do you believe with 0 gear and crap hp you can survive it?

are you even reading anything im typing what so ever or do you just want to scream nonsence?
nevermind the low gear fool, unless having higher gear would mean taking less damage not just having more hp, which i guess will be the case if you stack versatility but if you dont then it will still do 32k, thats still enough to kill a mage or a rogue unless its instantly interrupted on the first secund of cast

Ofc getting more gear makes you take less dmg, everyone is around 30% versa so you take 15% less dmg.

Everyone also play with bm for a reason, to not get obliterated by all the broken stuff.

I understand you are mad about it but it is what it is, is it normal? Ofc no but there is. Alot of things more retarded than Convoke unfortunately :s

okay then since you are so absolutely maximum confident about this il trust you, an i WILL hold you to this. let it be known that Ðrpøurritûs will absolutely bloody ensure everyone that convoke does not kill or near you kill as soon as it starts being channeled if you are at an equal gear level.

I hate to intervene your… hm constructive conversation, but my tip would be that you prioritize CC’ing or interrupting the laser chicken. You healer has to be on their toes for the convoke and throw some burst heals while you interrupt it.

Otherwise you don’t have much else than burning through your CD’s. That’s the game at the moment for freshly dinged characters. Unless you fancy M+ gearing which I assume you don’t.

As an Unholy DK?

-Deathgrip
-Mind Freeze
-Asphyxiate
-Ghoul Gnaw

• What ever the hell your partner has. If Boomie has 30-40K HP you are just simply going to die. Thats the reality of Shadowlands atm. Hoping 9.2 or 9.3 gets better since Vers increases.
1 Like

As a DK there’s a few things you can do, first if he’s in range (15 yards) you have your kick or Asphyxiate (20 yard range), if not you can use death grip (30 yard range), they will stop the channel or you can use your pet kick (Gnaw) if he’s further out. Otherwise if you see Convoke and its on you and he’s max ranging you (40 yards), either you AMS (not sure if that is enough) instantly or you use AMZ, if its on your teammates and you’re in a CC and no one can stop you must trinket the CC and AMZ the person its on.

LoS also breaks convoke, pair it up with ams and you will have a chance.
But yeah, when vs a moonkin you just have to expect that they might try to do it from stealth.

25k hp dk is like what? ilvl 165?
AMS has no global cooldown, so you should press it the moment your addons let you know + any other skill which depends on the range.
I pushed this alt yesterday to 2,1k and I met only 2 boomkins from 1,8k to 2,1k.

Blizzard does not care and should not care about how a casual player feels naked in a random skirmish match.

1 Like

Once you gear,you will be able to survive longer.

But also,arena isnt solo game.Its teamwork.People need to work together,so a lot of that depends on your teamamtes too.

Who to cc,when to cc,where to pop cd’s,and sometimes even with all of that,you wont be able to suvive.Its pvp,u cant win every game.

It WILL kill you still. With proper gear however you will have a small reaction window at least while with your gear the first Starsurge will delete you already. And that is all Ðrpøurritûs was saying.

Maybe you should stop attacking him, he was literally just being constructive and friendly towards even when you became hostile for no reason.

3 Likes

There are a lot of counters to convoke, especially as a dk.

• You can use AMZ + AMS to make the spell useless.

• You can kick the cast with your ranged interrupt

• You are an unholy dk, which means you have pets and you will naturally take way less damage from the spell as it will be soaked by them, especially if you use army.

• Additionally, you can have your partner soak the damage

• You can grip + asphyxiate to stop the cast

• You can simply move to LoS

And if you still die to the spell, well that’s entirely on you, because trust me, convoke sucks as an idea and as a spell. It’s just terrible to play. 9/10 arenas, your convoke will do absolutely nothing because there’s such an overwhelmingly many variables that go into whether or not it will do what you want it to do.

And now people will try to tell me how I’m wrong and how the spell is broken and no counterplay. And to those, well, there’s a reason why you’re hardstuck 1600 cr.

The boomy can’t just come out of stealth and immediately channel. Their first global is to go into moonkin form, their 2nd global is going to be something like a dot to put them in combat (if they don’t do this, convoke will just cast heals) and with their 3rd global they can start convoke. You do get some reaction time. Not a lot, but some.

My main tip would be: stop playing skirmishes. They are GARBAGE. You get a lot of 226 geared people just queuing into them for fun stomping low geared people. You honestly have a better chance of winning low CR rated matches than skirmishes.

dont have 25k hp lol
ams + amz and you are safe
pillar and you are safe
grip and you are safe

No, you definitely should not do the sequence you described. You press incarnation and then convoke straight out of stealth. Incarnation unlike CA will put you into moonkin form and since it’s off global cd, you can instantly press convoke. The dots don’t matter. You will still cast offensive spells if you’re in range. Convoke works differently in pvp than it does in pve. In PvE you have to be in combat for convoke to hit your targets, in PvP, it will hit any player that is in range, regardless if you’ve entered combat with them beforehand.

This is false information. If you convoke in arena without putting yourself in combat, you’re just going to spawn 100 regrowths.

No, you’re completely wrong. And it’s obvious you haven’t done any arena at all. Cuz if you did, you wouldn’t be spreading straight up lies. You can press incarnation and convoke and you will hit people. I know this because I’ve done it for hundreds of arenas and have gotten to 1900 cr doing it.