How to fix the arena boosting problem

These are my thoughts on the solution to the arena boosting problem.

Recently blizzard have announced that you will have to win one game per week in order to upgrade your gear, I think this does disincentivize boosting, even though the problem remains that you can still buy one boost per week for the win.

So then the question becomes why does this change disincentivize boosting, and my answer to this question is that it makes boosting more annoying. So then I have come to the conclusion that the solution for the boosting problem is to make boosting so annoying that the rewards of boosting are not worth how annoying it is to boost.

What do you think of my solution, and what are your suggestions of additional annoyances that Blizzard could implement to disincentivize boosting even more?

Why not just make gear more accessible ?
Purple honor gear 210ilv -> Conquest gear220ilv -> elite weapon that is rewarded for 3v3 content 224 ivl
they also scale up in pvp by another 10-15ilvl or something like that

never gonna happen tho

Doubtful.

The initial boost is the same. Now all they have to do is buy 1 win each week. Well boosters will love that easy money.

Just cut the crap with the “ilvl locked behind rating system” and cut down the power gap. Then boosting will still exist but they will have a much smaller advantage.

1 Like

be careful what you wish for.
In their twisted mind they will think about an ultimate solution.

with patch 9.1 all conquest gear base is 200 and has only 1 rank to upgrade. You can upgrade this gear when you reach 2.7k rating.
We heard boosting is a problem and so we decided to make it impossible to get gear from boosting as 2.7k is not boostable.
enjoy.
Also pve gear in pvp will now reign supreme once again as we want to give those elite players of heroic raid an edge for their hard work in pve content.

at the same time as it creates recurring customers for the boosters, with the ones who doesn’t get discouraged by it.

^ This. I skipped BFA because BFA was garbage at the first look of it so I dunno what it was like then, but boosting is only industrialized to this degree because these insane gear advantages makes it possible for so many more players to be boosting. Cut the gear advantage to nothing, and then it’s back to only the blazingboosts etc. doing the boosting, which is a MUCH smaller amount of people. (The people saying gear advantages isn’t a thing should try to play other comps that doesn’t win in burst setups with cross-CC and spammable CC.)

And losing rating making you not being able to get the items you previously paid for will be less annoying? So the boosters will change their payments to subscriptions. Annoyance solved, lol.
I said it already and I will say it again. Make ilvl difference between tiers of gear lower, so the gap isnt this big and ppl will be able to play on their own. At this point, if you miss a tier of gear, you are useless. If the gap is lower, you would still be competitive in both pvp and pve without being forced into buying boosts to become viable.

The design scheme is made to run parallel to the PvE gear progression path, because of the crossover functionality. As soon as you make PvP gearing superior for the masses while crossover functionality is a thing, people then stop doing PvE content pre-raid/m+, and trivializes everything below mythic raid/high m+.

Despite the timegating, despite the rating gates, despite the renown locks, PvEers still had people complaining that PvP was “forced” for them. The only reason not every PvEer thought that way, was because of the extreme effort/cost required to get that PvP gear (and versa isn’t best for every class/spec in PvE).

They’re also forced to make the crossover functionality possible for PvPers as long as legendaries are usable in PvP.

So until they properly separate the gear, they’ll never be able to move away from having it run parallel. The 9.1 pathetic compromise is only so that it doesn’t impact PvEers as much, while the only way to solve it properly is to downscale PvE gear in PvP on top of it, as well as disable legendaries in order to open up the possibility to remove the ilvl gaps and rating gates all over the place.
As long as crossover functionality is a thing, they’re forced to mirror the PvE gear progression path in PvP. There’s no way around that, and the 9.1 “solution” is pretty much as far as they can go in reducing its impact yet it only does it for PvEers.
(BFA is an example of an expansion where they didn’t mirror the gear progression path equally and made PvE the superior choice with crossover functionality, and you know what happened back then because of it. The same would happen to PvE if PvP is ever made superior while crossover functionality is still a thing, which is why they’re literally tying their own hands like this.)

Well, this is fixed in 9.1, so pvp gear will be like 27ilvl lower than pve one, right? Cant wait to do a forced pve content, quests and choreghast in my 30 ilvl lower gear than it is balanced for. Blizz once again picked the worst possible “solution” to not force pvers into pvp. Thank you blizz. Elegant as always.

Wasn’t it 7?

Seems it’s 7 ilvls higher than PvE when upscaled in PvP, but PvP gear scales 13 ilvls higher compared to its PvE ilvl.

That’s what I mean with:

Ive read that pvp ilvl should be on normal raid ilvl, which is actually 2*13 difference from mythic gear and somebody mentioned 27.

Well, that wowhead post from 21 days ago is what popped up on the first google search result.
Anyway, that is also gonna creep up later on into 9.1, the further into the patch we get the more people will be clearing mythic (as per usual), which will flood the lower rated matchups.

Not to mention the sylvanas bow for hunters, which will create a similar situation to BFA if wailing arrow is usable in PvP.

Those who have 400 euros or few million gold to pay for 2400 in the first place,rest assured they will have enough of gold or $ to buy 1 game a week.

With these changes boosters gonna have a subscription plan just like Blizzard has.

Standard: 1 win per week
Deluxe: 4 wins per month
Epic: 12 wins within 3 months

They will first boost their client to a desired rating and after recommend him or her that subscription option for extra gold or money.

So, is Blizzard really fighting with boosters?
The more tokens people buy to exchange them into gold, the happier Mr. Kotick is.

He’s not that happy, his salary cut got in half.

The main target of such news are people like you.
“Look, what a generous and nice person Kotick is. He decided to cut his salary in half”.

But just before that he got 200 000 000 dollar bonus and fired 200 employees during Covid19 pandemic.

What a nice person indeed.

What are you talking about? He got his salary cut, he didn’t cut it himself. He was forced into it.

Are you really that naive? Its all PR.

Who can force CEO cut his salary? Shareholders?

But even after the cut Kotick has 200 mil dollar in his pocket which means he can even stop working till the rest of his life.

Yes. That’s how it works with a publically traded company. He doesn’t actually own the corporate group, you know?
It’s the board that controls it, and they’ve been unhappy with the amount of money they’ve been paying Kotick for a long time now. So in this time’s contract, he got a heavy pay cut. Not by his choice, but as a result of the negotiation. Or in other words, they forced it on him.

If the players who pass 1.8k rating (or some other high threshold) are unable to dump their rating below a certain point or make them unable to face players with less than rating X no matter the rating of their teammate. So if a 226 brings a 170 ilvl scrub, they would have to start at 1600 at least.

OR -> the alogorithm could take ilvl into consideration when matchmaking as well. Getting tired of meeting 226 ilvl guys in 1400-1600. 20 ilvl difference is hard to counter.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.