How to level up after coming back? I am confused on what to do

Hello,

As the title says, i recently came back to wow after many years of not playing. The last time i played i reached lvl 68 (I think, and now i am lvl 28 after the changes) and also i never reached endgame back then. I recently joined and the only quest i have active is “Check in With Bixbie” which from my understanding is a low level quest. My question is, what do i do now, how to level up, should i do quests and where can i find quest for my level or should i join random dungeons. I really have no idea and i am confused, i would appreciate any help! Finally, is it worth it to continue playing the character or should i just start from the beginning?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi, and welcome back!

Confusion is the normal state of a returner, so don’t worry about it. :rofl: It takes a while to settle back in.

You are on a great realm to be Alliance, so there is no reason to restart from that point of view. And Warrior is a fine class - there aren’t really any bad ones - so it’s fine to keep going with that as well.

So there is no reason for you to restart unless you want to restart, because you want to play a different class or something. If you do decide to restart, you can do wo without deleting your Warrior; you can just start a new class and leave your Warrior there in case you change your mind.

So if you still like your character, keep going; if you would like to try something else, make a new character.

But whether you change or not, you will still be facing the same levelling process.

The new levelling process is called Chromie Time. Chromie will alter time to let you level in any of WoW’s expansions instead of doing a bit in each of them if you are level 10 or above.

So, for example, if you go for Chromie Time, you can choose to level entirely in Mists of Pandaria. Chromie will send you there, and you can do all the quests in that continent until you reach level 50.

Chromie Time gives you a choice of

• The Burning Crusade
  • Wrath of the Lich King
  • Cataclysm
  • Mists of Pandaria
  • Warlords of Draenor
  • Legion
  • Battle for Azeroth
    to choose from.

If you have a particular favourite, you can choose that.

If you pick one and find you don’t like it, you can go back to Chromie and choose another.

Everyone has their own favourites. I will say that everything from Warlords on is more confusing.

Up to Warlords, levelling was just: get there, do quests, kill stuff, take their things.

Starting in Warlords, the game adds in some system that you get, or build, or enhance as you go, and that adds an extra thing that you have to learn about as you level, but then that thing is gone when you leave that expansion, so not really great for your case. Warlords Garrison and Legion Artefacts are cool, but do provide an extra thing to keep track of.

So I would suggest, for your case, that you go to Chromie and ask to be sent to one of the earlier expansions. Personally, I would pick Wrath of the Lich King in Northrend, or Mists of Pandaria, but as I say, it’s a matter of taste.

You can find Chromie in front of the Stormwind Embassy near Stormwind Lake, under a tree.

To help with your various questions, let me suggest three resources:

Wowhead:

Wowhead is the web’s biggest site explaining all the quests, items, characters, places in the game, and it is mostly up to date. Wowhead organises the things, but the real value is in the comments. When you look up a quest or an item, READ THE COMMENTS. Those are from people who did it, and they tend to address the problems they had, which are likely the problems you have!

Icy Veins:

Icy Veins will explain how to play your WoW character best. A lot of it will be above your level at the moment; you won’t have all the abilities they talk about. That’s fine; just look at their “Easy mode” page for your character, like https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arms-warrior-pve-dps-easy-mode and use what you can from it.

YouTube:

If it’s in WoW, it’s on YouTube somewhere. Search YouTube for the name of a quest and you can see someone actually doing it.

Specifically, I suggest you check out some of this one:

It’s a video broken down into a minute or two on all the topics a new or returning player might need to know. If you watch the whole thing, but you will have seen ALL the various things anyone might want to know while levelling. OK, your brain may explode, but it’s a small risk to take for so much information. :smiley:

Or yuou can just jump to the bookmark in the video that deals with teh subhect you’re interested in.

Unfortunately, that video was made just before Blizzard introduced Chromie Time, so it doesn’t cover that, but everything else is worthwhile.

If you want to ask something else, or need any practical help with anything, please ask again here!

2 Likes

Wow thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate it and you definitely clear a lot of things! Again thank you for the detailed response! :smiley:

1 Like

Glad it helped.

I mean it about asking again if you have any questions!

1 Like

Thanks, Gráinne! Really solid info as always! :heart:

And welcome back, Yiotis! We hope you’re enjoying your return to Azeroth!

Also just keep in mind that almost anything you decide to do will progress your character in one way or another so try to not stress about doing the “correct” thing. Just take your time and dig in to the areas of the game you’re interested in the most and have fun doing it!

If you still want to min-max endgame stuff later on there will be a time and place for that as well, but you’re only a confused beginner/returning player once (or well, maybe a few times depending on how often you return :stuck_out_tongue:). So cherish it and explore away!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.