How to measure single target burst?

So I need some help.
I have installed a damage meter and then I want to find how much damage my boom convoke and cat convoke do on single target. I would like to try those convokes with different talents(buffs etc).
[Note: Do not reply with boomkin does more damage, since this does not teach anything]-

Problem is that all target dummies are typically packet together and convoke will also cast aoe damage that will also, I guess, count to the total damage.

1. Where I can find a target dummy that is just alone?
  2. How to calculate with a damage meter how much damage I do within 3 secs and then stop counting damage.

Thanks a lot
Alex

You can get a target dummy such as a Turnip punching bag (toy, easy to get, there’s other ones as well) and place it where you desire to do this.

Secondly, I would not recommend going about it this way. There’s a lot of tools that are much more refined and accurate (raidbots.com , warcraftlogs.com). If you’re only interested in how much damage your convoke is, just press convoke once and then see how much damage it dealt in total. You get DPS from that by dividing the number by the amount of seconds. Example: 12k/3 seconds= 4k dps.

Lastly, pretty sure convoke damage is mostly random, so your results will vary a lot. Another reason why this is a little pointless either way.

How the item is called exactly?

It is as I said in the post, Turnip Punching Bag.

2 Likes

If you want to practice your rotation, that’s one thing. If you want some absolute numbers, that’s another thing, especially in this era of Alice-in-Wonderland scaling.

I just did a very simple and limited test on my fresh new just-dinged DH against three dummies:

1. The Raider’s Dummy in the covenant
  2. The Turnip Punching Bag
  3. The Dungeoneer’s Dummy in the covenant

All I did was hit with Demon’s Bite repeatedly, so damage was only Demon’s Bite and White damage on the meter.

Results:

1. Against Raider’s Dummy, DB did about 400 damage per hit (389-410)

2. Against Punching Bag, DB did about 500 damage per hit (485-510)

3. Against Dungeoneer’s Dummy, DB did about 400 damage per hit (390-408)

I found it surprising, incidentally, that I did the same against the Raider’s Dummy as against the Dungeoneer’s. I recall the numbers used to be different (level+2 vs level+3)… but that was a long time ago, when numbers still made sense.

So if you are using a Punching Bag, great! but don’t get carried away if it seems you’ve just boosted your DPS by 20%; calibrate it against a real dummy as well.

Good point but I guess if I find that my damage increased by 20 percent that 20percent will be there regardless the target and scaling. Right?

Yeah just be aware that different dummies can give different results.

Can’t find it in ah:/ thanks though

You can’t buy it. It’s a quest reward, click the wowhead link to see more details.

2 Likes

Thanks, still amazed that there is nowhere single target dummy to try things out :confused:

You can always do LFR if you want to test how your dps is affected in real boss fight scenario.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.