Hunter and pet control?

Whats up with pets in cata pre patch? Do you need to have pets on passive on completely control them yourself? Because if I have my pets on defensive they will just attack random mobs after the first mob die and not at all what I’m attacking. Or well if there only is one mob my pets will attack it but if theres many mobs, all of a sudden I notice my pet stand there and attacking a completely other mob then what Im attacking.

To stop the pet from doing that and instead attack the mob I’m attacking I have to 1. put it on passive, 2. then call it in and then 3. tell it to attack the mob I’m attacking. If I don’t do this and just keep my pet on defensive, my pet will NOT do what I tell it, even when I tell it to attack the mob I’m attacking.

Is there a solution to this through macros or something or how do you guys control your pets?

I always micromanage my pets with macros, /petattack and /petfollow, then put it on easily accessible keybinds. My pet attack is scroll up and petfollow is scroll down. Pet is always on passive.

If you want to really micromanage your pet, you can also keybind pet stay if you want it to be positioned in a specific location, regardless of where your character is. I remember using that on Baron Geddon, for example.

Thanks for the advice! I actually have /petattack on 1 and /petfollow on 3 but gonna try the mouse wheel as you suggested.

Dont you feel this micromanagement is a bit much when aoe:ing alot of mobs f.e? There will be a whole lot of sending and calling pet. I have played wow since wow vanilla back when it released in 2005 and Hunter have been my go to class this whole time. I have been playing retail this whole time. Back in Vanilla and forward I never found the pet management to be something I struggled with but now that Im used to retail and almost 20 years older, I find pet defensive over pet assist a bit overwhelming :slight_smile:

I personally much prefer pet assist over defensive.

You’re welcome, at the end of the day it’s a matter of personal preference though, the mousewheel just works for me. For zoom in and out (which I rarely do tbh) I use the up and down arrows on the right side of the keyboard if needed.