Hunter dps - survival vs bm

I’ve recently spec’ed into survival, gear wise I am bis p1 (not yet gotten any drops from ssc or tk). I don’t mind the role of a survival hunter, but obviously I am a bit behind on dps compared to BM hunters (and other dps’ers).

What dps should be expected of me, compared to a BM. How far behind on DPS is reasonable? Yes, I am sure there are survival hunters topping the dps meters and there are BM hunters low on dps. But in terms of the average Joe, how far behind is a survival hunter expected to be? 5%? 10%? 20%?

I don’t need a discussion about rotation, gear, skill… just assume same skill level, same gear… and that you’re a casual, average player. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Apologies. Linked retail.

Yeah. Really sorry.

I found this though, should be better than my first reply :slight_smile:

By those numbers only I’d say go Survival if you find the spec more fun than BM

So if I read that correcly, survival is a whole 50 dps behind BM… so marginally lower. Kinda makes me wonder why BM is so hype when it offers that little extra dps and lack the utility of a survival hunter.

That’s just one list, there are plenty more I’m sure.

In retail Surv is more fun and pwns in PVP (if played properly)
Same can be said about Surv pvp in TBC.

But this is PVE.

All I can think of is Surv brings more/better traps to the raid environment?

Check Youtube too mate, sometimes takes days before you get any TBC answers here

In TBC, Survival also brings an incredibly debuff. Always good to have a survival hunter in your raid.

2 Likes

Yeah, I do not deny the fact that survival offers a lot to the raid. Traps is a small part, but the expose armor, imp. hunters mark. I think my expose armor + imp.hunters mark offers about 50 dps to each physical dps… so with 3 hunters + pets, 2-3 warriors, 1-2 rogues, 1-2 druids, 1-2 paladins… it starts to stack up. So if 100 dps behind BM hunter is acceptable, I indirectly provides heaps and heaps of dmg compared to any BM. But if 400 dps is accetable, then I provide overall maybe 100-200 dps to the raid compared to a BM? Is that how it works?

But in terms of DPS, I’m just curious how far behind it’s acceptable to be :slight_smile:

Sorry for my zero raid knowledge and going off topic?, but gotta ask.
I only leveled as BM and MM never Surv. How is it?

I levelled as BM… I respec’ed for raiding and I personally like it. I don’t feel it’s a different play style (at least not by much) but I know I provide a lot to the raid. I just wanna know what dps I am expected to pull compared to a BM :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem with that statistic is that it seems to be taken out of general raid metadata that is current.

You will have a bigger pool by default for classes that are most played and a lesser pool for the ones that aren’t.

If you would have taken the statistics from when first tbc appeared, years ago i’m 100% sure it would have been different.

Not saying it is not something to consider but you have to take in consideration it is based on the easy meta comps which provide a lesser pool for certain classes (a disadvantage) that aren’t necessarily played as much imo.

1 Like

my survival hunter guildie does 1,2k dps or more on fights like kael, which is 100 more or less dps than the other hunters. also 400 dps is a grey parse and nowhere acceptable, u need at least 1k dps to have better than green parse as surv

well people with knowledge wont expect u to top dps, they take surv for buffs

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.