I actually like Shadow priest

I am reading so many negative comments and threads about shadow priest, so I decided to make my own and go against the grain, mind that I only play PvP and I am just talking about that:

I like shadow priest in its current form a lot.
It has interesting abilities like voidvolley, mindgames, psyfiend that are weak when used randomly but can be powerful when used properly.
It has tons of utility, I can purge, I can dispel, offheal and peel, so there is always something to press and no empty cooldowns.
It has an interesting damage profile that combines high sustained damage from dots with burst spikes from single target abilities.
It has good crowd controll with fear, stun, silence and mindcontroll.

Additional and more subjective points:
I dont need the dumb voidform anymore
the spec feels finally complex and challenging again

I hope there are more people out there who really enjoy shadow right now!

7 Likes

I think the PvP perspective always boils down to an appreciation of being a Swizz Army Knife. The more tools you got, the better you function.
PvP doesn’t really use rotations or priorities. It’s more about having the ideal button for any possible moment.
So contrary to PvE where a mishmash of random buttons that don’t harmonize with each other is a nightmare scenario, in PvP it’s almost a strength if your buttons work independently rather than relying on each other to function in a sequence.

So the design feedback is almost always that PvP will appreciate the design that PvE hates, and vice versa.

Blizzard of course should be able to create a design for the spec that satisfies both PvP and PvE, but they seem to sometimes struggle with that, unfortunately.

3 Likes

like the pvp aspect of have 3 diffrent schools of magic that can get kicked instead of getting fully interupted in shadow now you can cast a spell after getting kicked in one magic of schools.

Its the pve aspect of shadow that is the clunkiest version ever.

Pvp for shadow will probably be strong in DF.
Pve not so much the devs need to rework their aoe a lot more for it to work in M+ and Raids.

Mind sear don’t work as a spender the Mind Spike aoe is weak and dot spreading is slow having to wait for shadow crash to go of CD they need to Revert Mind sear and add shadow crash as a aoe spender to dot cleave up to 10 targets instead.

The Misery talent is great but they should make dot cleaving better.

It’s Meh but still not there yet for shadow.

Living shadow was great 4 set they should had kept in game loved having that ghost after hitting on a instant mind blast proc on My back that did insane damage and you could stack up to 1min if lucky it felt like a version of void form that was better done it made sense and wasn’t hard or dumb to figure out.

Void form needs to go dead burried hate void bolt and what it has done to the game since legion, they should add Living Shadow in as a dps CD instead that does damage and remove PI for good hate what Pi has done to wow in general.

They force Pi down your throat and that you are forced as shadow to give it to another dps while it gives you nothing in return to your dps.

The devs should learn the game and make it better.

I disagree on mind sear now it does good damage and also like the fact that insanity has value and need to be managed. Mind sear in its previous form was a boring filler and searing nightmare was actual borefest atleast now we can cast mind blast on packs instead boring searing nightmare spam. I do agree that its odd that our main dot spread shadowcrash is at 30 sec cd which makes some packs feel bad when tank pulls at a quick pace.

It does not work in m+

1 Like

Yes definitely in a good spot and fun to play, especially the dots build imo.

But tbh sp doesn’t stay on the top that long in general so I hope the nerf won’t be that huge as what we see in general and make the spec hit like a wet noodle.

For now I’ll definitely get some fun playing rps with my mate back.

I’m really liking shadowpriest as well atm. Feels extremely strong and durable and has very good aoe and single target. Mind sear feels much more powerful now, instead of that -10 damage it used to do.

It feels like a clunck fiesta and waiting for shadow crash to come of cd while everyone else is like 200k aoe feels insane boring and PTSD coming through your body.

Pvp wise they did good with shadow pve wise they still failed but worse.

Mind sear does not work as a spender.

2 Likes

Shadow crash is 10 times better than what we had before. Now you have a way to effectively put Vampiric touch on targets and maintain the dots. You had no way of placing aoe vampiric touch before the change. The playstile has changed, but it allows for a lot more options now. And now your spender actually does something in aoe. Before your spender did absolutely nothing in aoe scenarios.

Also, Shadowcrash is 30 second cd. How often do you think you will be going from pack to pack in m+? I seriously doubt every pack is going to die in less than 30seconds and you will be already facing the next one. Unless ofc we aren’t talking about m+ in which case, it doesn’t really matter what happens in normal dungeons etc. Plus our kit isn’t even complete yet. We have to wait till lvl 70 where we get even more AOE options to see how good the aoe really will be. Personally, I prefer it much more than the Searing nightmare spam.

Honestly, a lot. What tends to happen is you have pulls chaining together or additional mobs come into the pull late and you have this horrible tension between wanting to get going, and having to wait because your only “starter” has a 30 second cd.

Even just being able to have pains up, more freely would help a lot. It’d give us some of our mastery benefit, a little extra damage, and on the whole just massively reduce the reliance on shadow crash being necessary to do any sort of aoe damage. It’d also make the other apparitions talent more appealing because in larger pulls you’d have more pains active and more opportunities for it to proc.

Affliction got a cool way to apply agony to 8 targets on a 30 second cd, but it also kept its way to apply corruption to everything with no cd. We gained a cool way to apply VT, but lost our way to apply pain to everything with no cd, and frankly I’m feeling that loss now and on beta.

1 Like

Shadow Priest is good at the moment. Conclusion.

Using voice to play.

Against 5 bosses in raidbots this will give me AELLAS 39,145 DPS (Covenants and Soulbinds are not simulated when using Armory input). So this is likely higher or at least the same against trash mobs. Clearly this is AoE build for mythic+ or questing.

So in junk PvE gear I can hit massive dps in mythic+ which is mostly clearing trash mob packs of 5 approx. For a limit time see my profile or watch all the videos. Shadow Priest is not crap at the moment. Learning how to play it is harder than most classes.

Installing simc addon for raidbots.
5 targets AELLAS 39,764 DPS
1 target AELLAS 13,113 DPS

Notice my gear is garbage which is why I am so low in dps. Note the massive increase between single target and multi target dps. x3 times as much for 5 targets, when compared to single target.

Stat Weights
Intellect 5.33
Mastery 3.98
Haste 3.71
Critical Strike 3.13
Versatility 2.24

ELLIPSÌS currently. looks kind of a raid build.
ST 21,605 DPS
5 mobs MT 43,075 DPS

Many players like Shadow Priest at the moment.

If we could aoe spam Pain while tank gathered things + that pain started generating insanity for us, then we’d be ready to crash and sear once tank stood still, I’d like that.

It should probably make some build varieties possible too. Tl;dr they know how to fix it, if they want to.

What a thread hijack, can’t even be positive in one thread about Shadow Priest.

The cat is looking out the window in the video.

Just if shadowcrash being hasted would basically be the most simplest and best fix the fact that in some packs you have this 5 seconds where you must dot but why dot when shadowcrash is coming off cooldown you basically you feel like you waste the gcds.

1 Like

shadow priest has one of the coolest class fantasy in wow regardless of the strenght of the spec

2 Likes

Shadow Priest has ‘crazy’ good lore.

Looking at my remaining 8% of haste after leveling
Yeah, it would help. I legit hate having to aim it though, compared to how dark void works for example.

Sear should be way faster chanel…
My biggest issue atm is the design of dungeons and almost every second mob having some sort of knockback or cc or ground bs…it is unbeliveably anoying to find a moment where you can just stand and chanel sear without having to stop to kick, stun, dispell, dodge, get ccd, get your soul in nokund, run around, the actualy mob seared charing around, tank constantly running for some reason etc etc…let alone if you get devourer proc on full insanity to chanell two sears. Numbers are kinda there…but get them out is pain af…currently its kinda okish since you can just stand in pools of crap …but in m+ you will have to move…idk boys…its looking not that great…

God forbid that you miss shadow crash…or accidentaly hit ceiling or some object in the way…or when you cannot use it on ramps or stairs…

All these issues while ww monks and warriors do 100k every pull :rofl:

3 Likes

Is the Nokhud soul thing avoidable? I can’t see for the grass. Last time I had to run near a roaming pack to grab myself, if I hadn’t had Fade…

Me too. 10 char

1 Like