I Am Undead And I Need Help

i like the undead model more for the aesthetic

And I thought that the Undead shouldn’t be the one to discriminate against others, considering how hated and prejudiced against they are already, ha

They can, however, when it comes to RP guilds, they tend to go for a certain theme and look. Dark Rangers (whether represented by hunter or rogue) are something that appears a lot among Forsaken in the lore, so they fit the setting and theme of a Forsaken guild. Having robed undead elves summoning demons or shooting frostbolts fits such guild much less.
Also, I think Arthas mainly raised Farstriders, leaving the rest of high elves dead (if I´m wrong in this, correct me), which is why you only see them among Forsaken ranks as Dark Rangers.

In general terms, GMs often want to go for a certain theme and look. For example, if someone created an Alliance military guild focused on humans, dwarves and high elves, but through process of people joining/leaving ended up with 80% high elf guild roster, they might want to stop recruiting more high elves and instead focus on balancing out the other races so the actual guild roster fits the guild´s theme better.

2 Likes

This depends on the guild. A guild like the Rotgarde is strongly themed around the Forsaken, and should probably take steps to ensure the member base represents this. While a few dark rangers fit in the theme, an overwhelming number of them may change the theme of the guild. I’m not a member, so take this as my speculation.

You keep asking the question “what is wrong with x”, and like I said above, there’s nothing wrong with draenei death knights and undead elves. But every guild has its theme. Every character concept has situations, guilds and locations where they fit well, and others where they stand out like sore thumbs. No one is saying you can’t play an undead elf, simply that they aren’t desired in a specific, heavily themed guild. Similarly, you can play a draenei death knight all you like, but don’t expect them to be welcome in a draenei-themed guild, as they would naturally avoid the undead.

4 Likes

Personally I love draenei, tauren, and night elf death knights because of how tragic all of their states of (un)living are. Tauren and night elves have a lot of cultural significance with nature so existing as an undead outside of nature’s cycle is a real breeding ground for angst. The same with draenei and so much of their culture being tied into the Light and the Naaru.

Admittedly yes, it’s a bad choice for social RP but conceptually I love the theme of existing as the antethesis of what a character was in life.

9 Likes

Indeed, the rotgarde is and long has been at its core a guild around forsaken and only forsaken, using the forsaken character model for both aesthetic and practical (language, racials) reasons. Actually using the elf model for dark rangers is by all means a fairly recent addition.

3 Likes

I’m seeing a lot of very focused and cynical replies in this thread. I wish we would all be a bit kinder about what others choose to roleplay - especially when its not infringing on lore or the integrity of the story. Really happy to see so many great scene and guild suggestions though!

I’d just like to say, play what makes you happy. The right place for you will come eventually if you keep looking instead of changing what you play to fit into the wrong place.

5 Likes

Congratulations child of Undeath.
You have reached your maximum potential and have conquered death itself, now utilizing the force in your favor.

There are plenty in The Forsaken Community that are happy to help you learn Undead RP & DK ins and outs. Seek them out!

4 Likes

I didn´t see anyone criticising the concept, rather people were simply pointing out known difficulties one can face when RPing a DK (especially a draenei one) and why it might be easier going for different concept if one wants to do unguilded casual RP.

While it´s important that people pick what they enjoy over what might fit into more guilds, saying “right place for you will come eventually” isn´t particularly good advice. While that might have been true in ye olde days, it is not uncommon that entire RP niches (lore organizations, races and so on) having just one or two RP guilds at most these days, with some not even having a single one.
Flexibility when it comes to what races/classes someone would like to RP is a good trait, because it allows player to find a home in the community without taking possibly even years of searching.

3 Likes

The trade-off here (in my experience) is that if someone compromises too much on what they’d like to play in order to find a guild, especially when they started with a clear idea of the concept/s they’re attracted to, they tend to burn out pretty quickly. Consistency and commitment to an OC is probably the most appealing trait a roleplayer can have imho.

13 Likes

In the end it´s about balance. You compromise on too many things, you end up burned out. You refuse to adapt to the reality and you´ll end up RPing alone, always hoping for that ideal guild that would fit your character concept.

2 Likes

I remember when I was on AD I went with my main which was DH at the time (BFA-early shadowlands).

Pretty much not a good fit except in one Night Elf event and I had to tone down the fel effects of my usual transmog.

I think a DK can work out much better, but that’s just me.

Alliance DK rp feels like it’s in a pretty dire state - its always been marred by certain perceptions of it and some of the characters it attracts, but I’ve found it almost impossible to get any meaningful rp after returning, let alone finding a guild on my human DK main. Hanging around in northern EK, it feels like they just don’t fit into the current scene.

Not insinuating that anyone is entitled to a spot in any guild or to anyone’s time simply by virtue of their class; there’s a lot of very stylish guilds out there that are very cool at the moment. But I also hope they remember that Warcraft is a big weird world, and things that go against the grain of a theme are just more opportunities for good stories and character development. That mutual trust between players to have their concepts collide is essential for good encounters in world rp, and maybe the lack of it is why there’s so little of it at the moment (at least it feels that way).

The simple solution to such a thing remains of course to make your own guild, it should be said, and more proactively seek out the rp you want, rather than expecting to stumble into it.

But if that’s not what you want, despite your experiences mr. Corpselord, Duskwood is still your best bet if you truly want to continue as a dk. Like its been said, it’s just a matter of keeping at it and making the most of the scene in the hopes of finding that solid group of people you vibe with.

1 Like

Because the process of reanimation draws on powers close to evil. Evil is vanquished lest it becomes victorious. And let’s not forget that undeath didn’t exist until it was forced into our world by the Legion.

1 Like

Are you saying that people should feel obliged to accept everyone into their guilds?
Or are you saying that treating death knights, a literal murder machines who will go crazy if they don’t cause suffering, with suspicion, is bad?
Or are you saying that characters, who had bad experiences with DK and other undead, should be accepting of them no matter what their experiences were?

Nobody is throwing stones at DK RPers OOCly. People saying “hey, maybe picking another concept would be better if you want casual RP” isn’t some form of oppression of undead RPers. Same goes for pointing them towards a zone where they could find some DK RP.

9 Likes

Personally I think that is part of the territory and charm to play something like a DK or undead. Same as warlock. It makes sense for characters IC to have distrust towards such characters and concepts based on the general vibes as well as history or personal believes.

It doesn’t mean there is necessarily OOC prejudice because a DK/undead is shunned away by a group of roleplayers, or a guild.

With guilds, some often have a certain idea in mind and some concepts won’t mash with that even if you’d like it.

When I’ve roleplayed Vixi or my own DK before(or other characters like it), I am aware that they wont work with everything, but that is also part of the roleplay. Otherwise I might aswell just roll another type of character(non undead or non warlock) if I just want to play them like any other.

3 Likes

Who decides what’s good and what’s evil? Are you the God? To me the Winter Queen and the Kyrians are evil characters. To you the Undead are. To some the Alliance is a faction of mean hypocrites. To some the Horde is a faction of uncouth monsters. Who wields the truth? No one! Because it’s all situational and subjective.

In this case the writers, who have very much said that fel and undeath and such are evil from a directly objective standpoint of the lore.

Even a character who doesn’t think it is evil to use or use it for evil purposes are tapping into an evil force.

1 Like

In the real world, that is a valid question and remark. However, in the Warcraft universe, Good and Evil are not philosophical. There is an objective Good and an objective Evil. Proven by the fact that the Holy Light burns evil-doers. As does Void hurt good-doers.

Azeroth does not have categorical good/evil, it doesn’t have a DnD style alignment system. The Light is only synonymous with good in the world because that’s the prevailing consensus, not because it’s based in objective truth.

But that’s kinda besides the point – there are established in-universe reasons why the undead are reviled and that response (fear + revulsion + whatever else) is part of the class fantasy of the death knight.

14 Likes