I decide what my name is, not you

His only problem being that such a name isn’t really appropriate on a OOC server either, it does infact break the general Naming Policy as well.

Would it surprise you to learn that I have seen at least one variant of this already?

1 Like

Honestly, considering how people are no. Dissapointed, but not surprised.

You sound like a discount super villain

2 Likes

How did you open the thread about the name?

There’s far too much in the way of people slating each other, tonight and some of these threads need to be closed.

I’m not sure what you mean? Not in a bad way, just having difficulty reading/understanding the sentence meaning :smile: (Which is my english’s fault)

If you mean how I opened a ticket, go to Contact Support, pick forums when asked to specify the issue, then choose contact support again, to be able to make a ticket about the forums. But I do agree that some of these threads have gone on longer than they should, this one included.

I do what I must, Leia…

It’s come to a point, where one must take action. :raising_hand_woman:

I, like always, will take the beating.

Here’s my 2 cents: the RP naming policy is ancient and defunct. The use of RP addons is so ingrained in AD that you’d find more issues finding RP without an addon, than you would with the name ‘Rabies’. Therefore giving the guy a leg to stand on.
Well, one leg at least. I still don’t necessarily believe that his name fits standard RP conventions.

1 Like

Nope - the page concerning the RP naming policy was updated as recently as three months ago. Whilst that may seem like a little lengthy to you, given that some roleplaying rules and regulations that actually ARE ancient haven’t been updated whatsoever since their creation in what I believe was 2005, I think it’s very fair to say these are rules that - whether you think they’re defunct or not - are still applicable.

1 Like

i’d agree if TRP extended to shortcut emotes.

I don’t quite like things like

Tehya peers at dankgamerlol searchingly.
Tehya looks at memeboi
Tehya stares coronaguy down.

3 Likes

They chose to keep the Policy and give it a fresh new article when they overhauled the entire Battle.Net system.

And of course there is the response I got from the GM.

So its far from defunct.

1 Like

Rabies is an okay rp-name imho, tho Räbies (like most umlaut/accent ridden names) looks a bit dumb

4 Likes

Quite alot of people in this thread+GM disagrees. Which also adds weight to what’s already been said that it does break both naming policies.

Saw the GM’s response and thought it was pretty dumb (if it was the one where the gm says your character name has to be your chars “real” name), it’s an uninspired but okay nickname. Admittedly I do not know what you mean with “both” naming policies. I can see how you might dispute it under the rp-naming policy, but I don’t see how it breaks the normal naming policy right now.

2 Likes

No, I’m talking about the GM response I recieved, which Croecell kindly made a easily accesible image, in which the GM straight up says that the name is “inappropriate” and then laments on how frustrating it can be when people make names like this, and how I did the right in in writing a ticket about it.

This is very diffrent from their usual responses.

Having re-read the response a few times now I have to say that I’m not getting same from it that you are right now, which might be me just being an idiot right now, but I guess we’ll see who’s right if the name gets changed or not.

Because to me it reads like they are just using the normal “thank you for contacting us about [issue]” phrase instead of calling the name inappropriate and the lamenting part being more about your (correct) description of Räbies spending the last few days pissing and crapping themselves in this thread.

3 Likes

Honestly there are a lot of names like Rabies’s in the world, many of which owned by friends of mine - even Stonetower could fall amiss to a certain interpretation of the naming policy - so I would be a hypocrite to go too hard on it.

It is, however, really funny to watch Rábíés mald publically

4 Likes

I dunno my dude, he seems pretty upset and distressed to me, not sure how funny that is or should be

4 Likes

Pretty hard to see the argument that it is inappropriate enough for a forced change. I don’t see the GM reply as signalling that, rathermore a “I can see why it’s bothersome but ho hum” in my eyes.

It’s entirely plausible that Rabies, albeit uninspired, could be a nickname for a Worgen, a real “mad dog” type. And beyond a certain point, we all use nicknames for our chars on occasion rather than true names (due to the naming limit) so to hammer one over but not others is hypocritical.

Now names that reference sexual content or stuff that is clearly inappropriate/discriminatory, or clearly references immersion breaking stuff (like celebs, game mechanics) etc I can totally see why that’s inappropriate. Rabies the disease however is hardly on the same tier imho. The disease itself actually exists in WoW, so it’s hardly immersion breaking either.

I mean I had a Forsaken mage called Maggotbreath. It wasn’t his real name, his TRP name was Reesus Murvel, however Maggotbreath is the name he’d go by in reference to his particular facial decay state, and in time he has sort of adopted it as his “proper” Forsaken name, even if it isn’t his true name.

All it takes to nullify the possible GM “has to be their real name” argument is to simply say similar. In this case “yeah over time my character now goes by that name properly, the nickname has become their name” and how can a GM prove otherwise?

4 Likes