I don't like the undocumented permanent Corruption changes

One of the first things I noticed in 9.0.1 was that they subtly changed how the Absolute Corruption works. How it has worked until now is that it stays on any non-player enemy forever as long as it is “active”, as in in combat. That meant that even if you died or got out of combat while the enemy stayed in combat, Corruption stayed behind and continued to tick.
This was changed in the prepatch, so now as soon as you leave combat it immediately gets cleansed. This might seem minor but one of my favorite things about affliction locks was that I could passively help with combat even if I get too far away or die. The idea of it just seemed very cool to me and it was something that was unique to just affliction locks.
I don’t care how strong or weak it was, I hope it gets reverted cause it made me like the spec a lot more.

2 Likes

I just tested this on dummies and it doesn’t seem to be the case, the corruption doesn’t get removed when you get out of combat or die

I’m getting different results, I just now checked to see if they hotfixed it. I tagged a lot of target dummies, flew a bit a way and returned and the corruption was gone, it took them a few secs tho. I’ve also died on a world boss, flew back to my corpse and the corruption was gone.
I know for certain that it didn’t work like this before, and in the case of target dummies, you could tag them with corruption, go do a quest at the other end of the zone and come back and the corruption would still be there

Yeah i think it falls off with distance, so it was removed because your character was teleported very far, not because it died. If you just stay dead near the boss, the corruption should still be ticking until the boss dies.

I don’t think that was the case. For example, in freehold, back when ID was triggered by corruption instead of agony, you were able to cast it on the dummies in the dog area, but once you reached the shark boss or crossed the bridge to the last one, the corruption disappear.

1 Like

My own tests suggests it works fine? I plopped it on a boss in LFR, banged my head against a fire for a bit at 20% and it was still functioning when I was dead.

Might be a distance thing.

it was the case though, I used to put a corruption on the dummy at the start of Throne of Thunder cause scaling+2% leech made me able to use burning rush without ever needing to heal, and it lasted the entire raid. I’ve tested it in open world zones and it used to last till you either went to a different zone or got on a different shard, idk why that happened with the freehold dummies.
You’re right tho about the distance, after some testing they definitely made Corruption tied to a distance in 9.0.1

1 Like

It’s definitely not an -out of combat- thing, but more a distance thing. Why? Well because when I was trying to practice my rotations it was incredibly frustrating to have corruption on permanently no matter what, so my results would be muddied from the laws of averages, since I might have 1 or 2 minutes of corruption ticks to take into consideration when working out the average dps over my burst phase.

It would be nice in dummy areas you could reset your cooldowns, and reset your target dummies so we didnt have to keep flying off to reset or wait for cooldown resets.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.