I don't understand what happened to the jailer

I’d take Metzen anytime over those. He did well to capture the essence of Warcraft and helped very much in shaping the lore. It’s sad we won’t see anymore of his contribution to the series.
I wonder how the Shadowlands would have been in his own vision.

rule of the cool and the slide into the current quality all started with metzen this guy and his “friends” started a two faction game and openly said they didn’t like writing for one of the factions 500 iq move really and we was all made to suffer from their lack of talant to back up the decisions they made but i gues they served as a important lesson to not make a multi faction game if you don’t enjoy the various factions

the decision to appoint alex the sex offender was metzen too

1 Like

That’s the thing: His position is fine, but since his boss was fired, he was responsible for stuff that his position never should have been responsible for. So hiring a new creative director and narrative director above Danuser, as they are doing, might actually be enough. If they aren’t worse, I guess…

2 Likes

I don’t have much of an idea of how these positions work really. But I’m pretty sure the stories of expansions like SL should have been planned much in advance due to difficulties in implementing changes later on. Someone is definitely is for blame regarding the lore massacre and sh*tshow that was SL. It’s difficult not to say the Daunser didn’t insert his fantasies and fanfiction into WoW since he was in charge for the greater part of BFA & SL (Though I expect changes started to happen after a time so if we consider SL only then it’s still an issue, especially with the long patch cycle that pretty much was a golden opportunity to change plans if they contradict).

That’s what my post is about, though. Danuser’s job description is fine enough for him. He just became unduly important since the guy he reported to was removed. Which is something they are working to remedy, even creating an additional position above him.

He certainly had an influence. But how much is pretty much anyone’s guess. Some things will have been planned when Afrasiabi was still there. And looking at the development process of WoW, a lot might just be improvised by the guys actually making the game and not their story department. Not to mention that we almost certainly got a extremely cut down version of Shadowlands, and cutting out the middle part of the story, when the development of what comes after isn’t very flexible because of the time it takes to create it ingame, can’t have been good, either.

I’m not trying to defend Danuser here, but he is just one guy. There was a loooooooot of dysfunction in the dev team, which certainly had an influence on the story and how it was presented. And while we might blame Danuser for much of SL, he was no less (and probably more) important in the development of DF, and we will see how that turned out soon enough. No amount of firing or shuffling of positions will change the story of 10.0 now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.