I just reread Aaron Rosenberg's Beyond the Dark Portal

How is a gay person existing in your little fantasy safe space “wokeism” (whatever that term means)? Black and Asian characters have been in WoW since 2004; and Legion had more than a few gay characters (the enchanting questline night elves come to mind).

I also don’t understand why you act as if players “demanded” gay characters. Blizzard added them; not us.

1 Like

they ruin kael’thas lore on bc just it,the bc zones look good and you get many hints from the quests , bc is journey of the player that travel to outland fight whatever he need without asking answer

1 Like

If you’re represented in WoW, then fine. I gave you an example why my culture (which is now recognized in the USA, Portland, as a culture of minority) isn’t represented and why such representation isn’t necessary.

Looks like I wasted my words and you fail to understand my point.

I understand your point because it is one that Gamers™ has held for decades now, and it has been argued against every time. Your argument is that if one oppressed minority should be represented, then every race and creed should; I don’t disagree! The game should add features for South Asians, Polynesians, Native Americans, etc. etc - we are in agreement, and I’m sure Blizzard will add these options in coming expansions.

Black and Asian options were only added first because the humans in Warcraft have historically always been able to be Black/Asian (until WoD), so it was just expanding on the options that used to be present.

Actually, my point was the exact opposite - that representation of every culture in a movie (game) isn’t necessary to make it enjoyable and palpable. Why is that needed? If we have such, it’s fine. For example, Harry Potter and the Bulgarian quidditch team. A nice representation of a culture considered a minority. But we don’t need representation in every single fantasy setting. I enjoy a lot more fantasy books even if I am not represented.

That’s fine man, and I’m happy you are finding your representation elsewhere. Just as I and my friends are happy with the representation we received in SL; my characters have never looked better.

More options is never a bad thing. Consider this: as a Bulgarian, you are white. You can create a white human in-game, no problem. But up until SL, I couldn’t create a black character - WoW didn’t add “black culture” to the game, they just added black customization options. It’s entirely visual; that’s the form of representation that we were after.

And it isn’t going away, and will likely only be expanded upon. And I’m happy with this, as are the other PoC that the options were added to represent.

Here’s my other toon from classic. Looks fine as a black character.

Yep! I acknowledged this - WoD significantly lightened the classic skin colours, and suddenly my characters were tan instead of black. This is my point: SL merely re-added black options that WoD removed.

https://i.imgur.com/D3ICoTg.png
https://i.imgur.com/Ha2YJCS.jpg

Compare the difference. The same character. The new options merely broadened the customization options for PoC; why is more options a bad thing?

We got offtopic. Customization is one thing… We talked about over- and underrepresentation inside the lore - or the storyline.

Again, it’s a flawed assumption that the quality of a book, movie or a game depends on the number of represented societies.

Indeed, which is why it’s good that Flynn and Shaw being gay wasn’t a major plot point nor something that took up more than a page or two of the novel.

2 Likes

It’s no longer a minor plot. Take a look at the newest book “Exploring Azeroth”, this time by Christie Golden.
But yeh, at least Golden writes better than Roux, still, it’s an agenda.

That book isn’t about being gay or gay rights; it’s about resolving plot threads around the Eastern Kingdoms and deepening the world building. What has them being gay got to do with it?

If you view gay existence as inherently political, you’re gonna think that something as simple as a gay character being in a book is a pride parade.

2 Likes

My god! I am Arab and respect people no matter how different they are from me. If a couple of guys are narrating “History of Azeroth” is an agenda and you are offended so much to the point where you post this much hate on the forums and write walls of arguments against representation then maybe Roux was right “white men are fragile” :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

She’s a racist. If you agree with her, you’re a racist too, end of discussion. If you believe that saying “white men are fragile” is OK, but the same sentence can’t be said about other types of people, you’re a horrible human being.

But the main point isn’t that she’s a racist. It isn’t that she’s brainwashed. It’s that she lacks talent and her latest book is just a pile of kodo crap.

Damn how do i tell my family😭

It missed on several of the most important bits, and presented yet again (like it had happened with the short story before it), a particular narrowed take on a plot niche in a way that dodged the major implications of the narrative, and at points laser-focused on stuff whose significance paled in comparison to stuff that should’ve been addressed in that same space.

And people will be critic about said behaviour, and wonder the reasons as to why a “veteran WoW player” would overlook said aspects.

Again, not saying that it was handled badly in the book. But comparatively speaking, putting forth an insignificant embellishment (that could be taken as a forceful attempt at homing some particular message about gay coupling), is something that turns into an issue if its laid as a priority over much more urgent lore matters.

So yeah, any time spent dealing with romantic coupling will be seen as a waste of narrative time and resources, if it comes in the place where actual lore filling should’ve been.

How is she racist if she is white?

Nice self assertion there.

Once again, provide proof. How is she not talented? Because I can assure you loving gay people is not a metric for bad creative writing.

1 Like

One line, man. That one line “and kisses him” didn’t cost millions of dollars and a direct diversion of the narrative from one thing to another. You are displaying a basic misunderstanding of how writing a novel works, and directly ignoring the plethora of lore developments the book did provide, all because you conspire that the reason we don’t know what’s happening in Ashenvale right now is… gay people existing?

Believe me he is quite intelligent. He is just hiding his bigotries behind that argument.

1 Like

He equally argues that black people shouldn’t be in WoW without a lore explanation he deems worthy (despite the devs confirming they just came from different Titan metal varieties), so I’m not surprised he’s bigoted about this in particular too.

Which sucks, because in other topics where he isn’t misunderstanding social subjects, he has some views I agree with.

1 Like