Idea about reworking the dungeon/raid/delve system (Discussion)

So I had a thought, with how currently the system kind of is, and WoW starting to lean back into the casual side a little bit, I thought of a little bit of difficulty revamp regarding the main 3 things of the next expansion (PvP not included), This is meant to be a discussion thread and a feedback at the same time, hoping to discuss and possibly improve this system which i believe would be far healthier for the game than it is currently. Here it goes:

First off, the dungeon format is currently fine for the most part, and with Delves coming, i think it should just be a little more streamlined. Therefore here’s my idea so far: Normal should remain as it is, remain queueable and be the lowest difficulty. Heroic would NOT be queueable and would instead serve as a “highest gear level” for Dungeons, while Mythics would be free to have whatever other things Blizzard deems fit in terms of difficulty and the main reason to do it would be cosmetic rewards (Like it should be, otherwise you’re just grinding mythic gear to do mythics faster to get all the cosmetic rewards). This would make mythic purely an option for the top pushers who want a cool transmog or a mount or those who want to push the limit of keys as much as possible with the highest gear being in Heroic (and possibly Mythic bosses even dropping the heroic gear too just incase you dont have some pieces yet). Point is, this would make “BiS” far more easily achieveable without neccesarily impacting the gameplay of Mythics. I believe this would be a far healthier form of Dungeons for the game and would be better for 99.9% of the people who play this game instead of balancing the game around the top 0.01% who minmax the fun out of everything.

As for raids, I believe LFR should be removed entirely, Normal would be the, again, Queueable option, Heroic would be the pre-made best gear version, and Mythics would be for dope cosmetic rewards, the point is to make all these 3 versions of endgame content co-exist without neccesarily cannibalizing eachother because “oh i gotta do raids because it has 5 more ilvl items than Dungeons” type of thing.

As for Delves, we don’t really have much info on them at the moment, but seeing as they’re solo content, I think the safe way to do it would be “Normal” and “Heroic” difficulties first, and after that, It would be Tier 1-2-3-etc-etc, mimicking the Mythic+ format of difficulty and rewards, cosmetics etc, while best gear stat-wise would be from Heroic things. These opinions of my mainly come from the belief that people should be able to work towards their BiS on their characters to “max them out” eventually, but currently, for majority of players, Mythic difficulties are far too brutal to ever be able to BiS their character out. I believe it was never about the stats of the item when it comes to these difficult things, but about things like “Oh wow, this guy has this cool axe that only drops from this raid and yada yada”, people just wanted to show off, The stats were just the secondary thing.

As for the difficulties themselves, well, they would have to be rebalanced heavily for this new difficulty progression, with there being something like a pre-content gears going for Normals to gear up there, and once they have a decent chunk of normal gear, they’d start maybe pugging Heroics to gear up that, and once they’re geared on those, they could start trying to push Mythics if they want cosmetic rewards without having to feel like they gotta grind something super hard if they wanna improve the power of their characters. If we’re talking about special-End-of-raid cinematics and World First Races, I believe those should also take place in Mythic versions.

As for gearing, I think World content like questing should drop Green quality, World quest would maybe drop rares, same as Normal dungeons, Heroics would drop epics, Mythics would also drop epics of Heroic level, just like Heroics do, no change these, BUT, those Epics from Mythics, would perhaps have a guarantee to have a tertiary stat, BUT ONLY “Indestructible” as I believe Leech and Speed is unnecesary and gives classes somewhat of an identity AND an incentice to pick those talents for them, instead of relying on gear for them. Maybe make them be on gems or something instead if you REALLY have to have them.

Now obviously, these would requite pretty massive re-balancing of content and possibly also player power. (But this would mainly be in terms of items) But I believe this system would eventually be far more natural and healthier for the game going forward than the current one.

Might edit based on feedback or if something pops in my head, either way, please give constructive feedback on this idea and let us try to improve the systems of the game, hopefully someone from Blizz sees this and atleast takes some inspiration.

You’re overcomplicating it. The easy solution is to do what they’ve done with PvP gear - have the gear FROM a particular content be more powerful IN that content. It would mean no more farming one type of content for gear for another.

1 Like

That, actually seems like a decent and simple idea. Though I feel like it would make people feel like they’re not doing the best they could in other things if they wanted to do them, too much to minmax in my opinion.

So, here is the problem: You have just eliminated about 2 tiers of gear progression from endgame out of 4. As you have put it, it will indeed speed up gearing to BiS by a huge amount, so people who play for progression will stop playing in weeks of a new season. You also introduce massive gaps between the difficulties. Because of the lack of progression, Heroic compared to Normal will either be almost impossible or a complete pushover.

Damn, I didn’t actually think about it like that.

I don’t think I actually eliminated anything much for dungeons, but I can see that for Raids, though I did not think the difficulty gaps would be that much of a problem actually? I mean yes, the gear would only take you so much, but the fights should be more about your own skill and doing the mechanics correctly rather than gearing through the raid without bothering to do much of the stuff in my opinion. As I said, they would probably need to rebalance a bunch of things to make this work, which would probably take more time than it might be worth?

As for Delves, maybe they could put Normal at the bottom, 5 tiers between it and Heroic, and then 5 tiers between it and Mythic, and anything above that would be the infinitely scaling one, (adjust number of tiers between difficulties based on whatever they want)

Another thing they could do is possibly just equalize the item levels of items between dungeons and raids, remove raid lockouts so people can choose what they wanna spam, and then make it so any mythic+ gear is just available right at the start and doing higher keys would just be for achievements and subsequent cosmetic/mount/etc rewards with higher mythic+ maybe having a higher chance to drop loot? There’s plenty of ways they could go about this.

The idea was to kind of make these three (world to normal to heroic) challenging in between balanced around having maybe a full set of that specific difficulty gear, with it being a bit harder per every piece you dont have, as it normally is. and Mythic would just be for pushing for cosmetics with a full set of Heroic, the intent was to just eliminate the single mythic part of stat progression and just make it focused on cosmetic rewards so people don’t feel like they’re forced to do it if they want to gear up their character to the maximum effectiveness. Also personally i don’t see them being done with a single character for the patch too much of an issue, a new patch/expansion would eventually come out, invalidating the gear OR if they’re done ahead of time, they could focus their time on other content they might want to do or create and gear up their alts instead of just playing 1 single main non-stop.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.