Ideas - Roleplay/Adventure Supply Vendors

Heyo everyone,
not to long ago there was quite a hype about adding more allied races or customization options regarding character height among other things.
Now I think people understand that making the models, rigging them, and making armors fit etc or adding anything major especially given the current pace of content creation due to covid as well as some other issues.

Especially the roleplay community has been asking for a good few features and most pleas seem to go unheard, or if not there isn’t a healthy discussion going on about what can or cannot be done and blizzards overall view on the state of roleplay servers that have been left to themselves for quite a while now.
I understand that the majority of the playerbase may have priorities elsewhere, but with that in mind, there are a lot of people loyal to the game and their chars gladly logging in every day even in times where others find a lack of content or to much repetition, because we make the content ourselves.

So the idea is to be able to implement things that can go a long way, with little amount of work required for the dev team in order not to strain the already stretched shedule.

Roleplay Supply Vendors

To explain, putting a npc or two in each capital, perhaps dalaran as well offering a variety of items easily put into the game to have the desired effects without the need for a headache such as:

• A set of potions to increase the size of the player character by 5 and 10% or decrease it.
    (While they already exist in other shapes and forms, it would let people slightly modify height without going through much trouble, adding to immersion.)
  • Appearance swap items. Now I know the prisms exist but I doubt anyone thinks its fun to have a 5!!! minute buff you need to renew and can only do so by swapping back and forth using another person to help. On top of that it requires a mage of rogue to steal the desired appearance to begin with.
    (Making them last considerably longer and be usable by any class, to allow taking the shapes of different npcs (humanoid only would be fine) to add more rp possibilities to act as villains or rp as neutral traders, mercenaries and the like.)
  • Small roleplay prop items akin to the vulpera tent. Such as items to temporarily spawn a tent, torch, crate or other useful roleplay props to temporarily help building a small scene such as a campsite, field hospital etc.
    (Perhaps adding a item to destroy nearby props or an option to derender them in order to avoid possible griefing.)

Furthermore, you can easily disallow use of any such items in combat , pvp environments and instances in order to combat attempts to exploit them and dispel effects upon taking damage or otherwise, similar to how some other items work.

The idea is to make tools that can be used freely and frequently (or less annoying to maintain). I doubt it’s perfect and probably has it’s own issues but I feel making a couple items or modifying existing ones and slapping them on a vendor could have a massive positive impact on player freedom.

If anyone has any input, ideas or otherwise, feel free to add to it.
Thanks for reading and hope you stay safe and have a good time. :wink:

12 Likes

That’s actually a brilliant idea and a fleshed-out one. You have a fair amount of knowledge of what would be plausible to implement or at least “acceptable” for WoW’s engine. This is great ^^

I would only add another elixir changing your voice a bit like in The Sims series. Pitched up and lowered a bit, it wouldn’t even require recording new lines. When all people of the same race and gender have the same voice it’s a bit unsettling to me. OFC new voicelines would be better, but well, one can dream.

Maybe another elixir giving you access to certain NPC’s voicelines would be enough? Although I don’t know if these would match that well (but for some NPC they do sound like they would). Something along the lines of Liadrin as “Voicepotion Of Elven Female Paladin” or Lor’themar as “Voicepotion Of Elven Male Warrior” etc.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly, I was hoping that this could potentially spark a little discussion in the hopes to get enough attention for some official feedback.

In terms of what’s actually doable, I’m not certain about the voice part but looking at what we know, perhaps?
Some items like the orb of sin’dorei or the orb of deception when used change your model and voice, letting you use the other set of emotes like the jokes, laughs etc, whereas some alter your appearance but keep the original voice.
In case the voice is detached from the model you could in theory alter that too using an item I reckon.
It may need a little more fiddling cause I don’t think anything exists ingame that does that, so it would have to be made from scratch rather than using pre-existing templates.
It’s a fun idea though ^^

4 Likes

There are so many things that could be added to make the RP experience better, like more mogs, more toys. Et cetra, et cetra. But the most important bit would be to fix the environment itself so that the RP itself can flourish properly with what we already got.

• Mega-servers:
    Server population on AD-EU is a joke! Merging servers would add immersion and well needed balance so everyone can get the RP they want. (Perhaps even non-European servers.) No Trading between the servers. No AH between them so it can’t be exploited for non-RP needs.

• GM service:
    Grieving and bullying is bad in this game and while it’s handled in a “fine” manner on other servers, the RP side is not “fine.” It takes age for staff to respond to the reports being made about the trolls who are actively playing the game to harass and prevent other people from having their fun, resulting in a bad tasting RP experience that discourages people from playing. Adding a RP report button would be a godsend.

• Portals:
    *Easier accessibility to the game world would be a wonderful thing to have. We’ve got portals to all the latests spots but many of the ones that were such a joy to have around are now gone, like the Kara portal. To gain the ability to much easily travel around to quicken your way to a key location would be wonderful. And not just to RP’ers! *

5 Likes

does sound like an awesome idea!

1 Like

Something I meant to add in hindsight, similar features could have made it into the game if the old ‘Survival skills’ profession would have been expanded on if anyone does remember reading about it. At least in terms of props that might have the added side effect to be usable for rp purposes.

Also having appearance altering buffs run out and being forced to temporarily leave to reaquire them (causing other people to have to wait or missing out on roleplay yourself) or having to pretend that they are still active when they are not is immensely immersion breaking and a pretty big mood killer.
In some cases that’s not even possible cause several items have a longer cooldown than duration.

I do agree with Teevs points above though that having those things would help immensely such as a stable population of roleplayers to begin with to add immersion and making the world feel more alive.

• As a solution for that, a roleplay mode similar to warmode could shard several servers worth of roleplayers together to solve such an issue and would eliminate the issues caused by an abandunce of ooc/not enough people participating in rp.

The gm service/moderation for rp servers is another case many players would like to see addressed. There are many ways to fix this as well.

• Possible solutions for a lack of moderation and support could include adding gm’s to help players where needed and removing those that conduct acts against the ToS or cause others harm with publicly sexually explicit or offensive acts.
  • Alternatively there could even be nominated player moderators if done right with the ability to solve smaller issues themselves, forward bigger problems or even the ability to assist in bigger campaigns as moderators/Dm’s with access to special functionality.
    (Example being spawning a set of hostile npcs [purely cosmetic] to act as enemies during a battle or similar.)
2 Likes

Oh wow, this sounds amazing!
Honestly it would be top notch to have it.

While we’re at it, I believe Blizzard should just allow specific addons that help change our looks and only people with those addons could see you.
Nothing over the top, just new hairstyles, eye colors, skin colors, beards and tattoos, heck even faces.
Another great thing would be if we got some more new emotes, like being leaned against the wall, showing off with a weapon or something.

A lot of RP elements are missing from the game :confused:
And even though we got more customization options, I’m still seeing duplicates of myself running around, minus the transmog. It’s really disheartening.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that doesn’t really work anymore.
I remember a few people talked about using custom models and npc appearances and even having the ability to place things on something called RPH or roleplay haven.
I’m not sure how active of functional that is anymore but there’s been a crackdown on unofficial servers and add-ons/mods that do alter appearances… I believe the original reasoning back then that made using several add-ons a bannable offense was that it could give players a unfair advantage in things like pvp (altering the size of the flag or people carrying it etc.)
Injecting any kind of code is also a quick way to invite many more problems.

There are always some people who are going to try to exploit things for their own benefit or try to find loopholes to gain an advantage, but precisely that is why I suggested item based functionality that is disabled in any situations where it could cause issues. (doing content, pvp, raiding etc.)
At least that way you can ensure that stuff is used for cosmetic purposes in casual or roleplay situations only and has the desired effect.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.