If someone goes 0-6 in rated solo shuffle, others should never recieve CR/MMR drop

Heroes of the Storm or DotA 2 are fair MOBAs…
… where loss streaks of 15+ happen. Six is a baby streak. My record is 16, but every season I score 12+ once or twice. Usually a similar win streak, too, my best is equally 16.

When MMR works well, your chance to win is 50%. Your skill is equal to that of your opponent, therefore your win chance is exactly a dice roll. Not skill, not performance, not trying even harder after six coffees (which is then your baseline), but pure random.
(Mind game. You are fighting yourself. Who wins?)

MMR is not supposed to swing either, or it would be essentially random matchmaking. Just play it through, at the end of a platinum match winner get diamond, losers get gold, then they get mixed with other players, the match is already a rainbow, but it gets worse.

Of course if you rack up a lot (20, 50, 100) losses, even at balance, you probably either deserve help from the system in the form of easier matches either to give you some free wins or get moved to a proper rank.

And then you have smurfs and other types of climbing people.

As for losing rating at 3:3, the MMR difference is supposed to guesstimate your win chance. In Heroes, it was expressed as a malus (adjustment; you gain 180 but lose 220 points). If you don’t deliver, you just drop and the system stops being expectant.

Too many people think about MMR as a ladder. It’s not.

I think that’s a good suggestion. From a statistics PoV a player going 0-6 means he was the definitive factor in every game and all the 4-2,3-3 scores other players got has no correlation with their skill.
In a good match making system this shouldn’t happen often but as OP pointed out rl stuff could make this a possibility.

The problem with solo shuffle is there are going to be some games that seem totally unfair due to the matchup. I just had a game where there was a lone elemental shaman playing with 2 tanks and 3 melee DPS. He was trained into the ground for each of 6 games and he would have lost 0-6 if he didn’t leave at the last round. I don’t think that indicates he was not worth his rating.

I’ve had similar games with healers where disruptive anti-casters just train a squishy caster down every game, and because nobody helped peel for the caster, that guy lost nearly every round. Surely that is also the fault of his partners for not doing a good job at peeling?

On AVERAGE, the better players will climb steadily towards the higher ratings. However for various reasons, there are going to be some games in there where you undeservingly lose too many rounds- that is just the way of the shuffle.

2 Likes

I enjoyed discussion between Vann and Beware. I’m more convinced by Beware’s approach to problem.

Exactly, every other point of view favors melee and tanks…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.