"If there is such a big gap between players 20 item levels apart, it is more likely a skill issue"

No offense, but I’m gonna trust Raidbots on this one, or the other sites designed to do this very thing.

1 Like

But he forgot to include 40% damage bonus from versatility xD Anyway - if theory if it was gladiator player that you meet rarely in random bg (they are few % of the PvP community and even in the scale of the whole community) stomping on 1500 players then there is no problem but the problem is when someone boosted got back to 1200 bracket or someone who got gear in other bracket (RBG players I’m looking at you) is gatekeeping at 1200 cr. Of course most of them are so bad that you can outplay them even with 190 ilvl but there are some comps that no matter what you do you can’t win as you won’t survive the opener or even if you survive you have no def cds for the next 1,5 min. and die anyway. It’s not only bad for new comers and returning players. It’s bad for meta game where you should respond to offensive CD with defensive one. If enemies have 20-26 ilvl difference you have to respond with more than if they were equally geared. This way the idea of learning is also killed. New players who don’t give up and try to push anyway don’t learn the game properly.

Kind of irrelevant since the context isn’t even about PvP. Sims aren’t about PvP either, but what Ion said is true really.

Besides, we factor HP heavily in PvP as well, so ofc the gear gap matters a lot more there.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you and actually people’s response to what Ion said is overreaction but overall the fact that PvP wasn’t even touched is even more depressing.

PvP wasn’t touched because it was Preach asking questions, and he doesn’t have much insight to pvp, he stated that too. If you want a more pvp focused interview, it’d need to be big pvp streamers hitting Ion up.

And there is a problem because:

-Ion isn’t brave enough to give an interview to a PvP player
-big PvP streamers know that they can’t criticize too much as they base their income on WoW and if they say too much they might not get early access to beta of new expansion or next classic so they do it as subtle as possible

This is an example. There is clear problem but since Ven is also Blizzard’s employee he can’t really say what he thinks.

2 Likes

I guess they do or you copied a wrong fragment.

I’m not so sure that’s the case, I’d bet it’s more that he isn’t interested in the scene, which is why there’s pvp devs (Who dont do interviews with the pvp streamers either), so I think you need to turn the unhealthy Ion obsession into looking at the PvP devs that sit idle.

Seems like a really weird excuse, their income wouldn’t overly change if they still stream the same, it’d infact probably increase if they brought attention to what seems to be the issue :thinking: As that way, it might be fixed.

Again, don’t agree on it. Even when he didn’t work for Blizzard, Ven was never very outspoken about the issues. :man_shrugging:

It’s obvious we blame it on Ion since when Tom Chilton was game director (till Legion release - it means he worked on Legion too) PvP got more attention what’s fact.

You are absolutely wrong. Imagine there is beta giveaway and people are hyped about new expansion or TBC beta and want to watch it. Streamer X got it and you didn’t - guess who will be watched more and where the viewers will be. It’s brutal industry. Basing feedback on 1% of playerbase that has interest in praising you isn’t the best.

While it’s true you can clearly see his frustration losing at <1400 where he clearly doesn’t belong. If 3000+ experienced Mage player loses there then 1550 player trying to improve shouldn’t feel bad either. It shows the problem perfectly yet we didn’t get any attention or response to the problem.

Showing in the simplest form possible why X% stat increase results in more than X% output.

Let’s say we have a character that white hits for 1000 and has 10% crit.

The average hit is: 1000 x 0.9 + 1000 x 2 x 0.1 = 1100

Let’s add 10% stats and see how much this will add to output. The white hit is now 10% bigger because we added 10% primary. The crit rate is now 10% bigger as well because we added 10% secondary.

The average hit is: 1100 x 0.89 + 1100 x 2 x 0.11 = 1221

This is 11% more than before. We added 10% stats and that increased output by 11%.

Now add that there are multiple factors like this in play, add that the difference between 226 and 225 is bigger than between 201 and 200 (because 1% figures compound, even though they are just an approximation), and see the difference snowball.

So let me just get this straight and filter out all the theory.

Are you essentially saying the Raidbots devs are dumb and we shouldn’t trust sims?

I don’t know and I don’t care, but you seem to be unable to do anything on your own and just rely on others to tell you how things are. The example is above. It’s pretty basic. If you cannot follow it, blame yourself.

Except you can simulate a character with all gear pieces of item level 200, and then with all gear pieces of item level 226 and the difference will be 26%…

But, in fairness, the real-life difference between a 200 and 226 person will be more than that in reality probably. Someone probably brought that up before, but a 200 person probably does not have optimised secondaries, they might also not have the strongest trinkets for their spec, they might lack renown/conduits, sockets… so I do not think Ion is right in that regard.

200 item level in random pieces and perfectly optimised 226 will have more of a performance difference between them. As much is true.

I didn’t watch the whole video but I watched the timestamped match. What did you try to showcase with that?

I think you’re very very misguided if you believe this to be the case.

I also recognize when there are things others can do better than I can, and quite frankly I haven’t constructed a simulation and haven’t covered all the variables, because why would I reinvent the wheel, especially if I’m sure it’ll be a worse version of what we have.

2 Likes

That there is clear problem that is being ignored:

-it’s unwelcome for new players
-if you joined mid season and you don’t play s tier meta spec it’s extremely hard to get gear
-learning possibility is almost killed because if you had to respond with 1 def cd to enemy offensive cd when you have equal gear with 26+ ilvl difference you have to respond with more - this is killing the idea of practice and learning

Let’s face the truth - PvP community will shrink with no fresh blood. With such PvP treatment it’s very unlikely we will get any new players to replace quitting ones in the ladder.

2 Likes

Mate, I have been writing sim modules for WoW when the website that people use now didn’t even exist (there was just a link to a console app). I could tell you tens of warstories about how modules for different specs are of wildly varying quality, about applicability and assumptions, etc. If you cannot math, doesn’t mean nobody can. X% more stats produces way more than X% more output. Period.

1 Like

That however, does not make Raidbots or Sims wrong.

Which is why he said he said he recognize when there are things others can do better, while also mentioning the above :thinking:

Which I have never ever argued against, but you are quite literally saying you are better than the theorycrafters that are currently employed, even though we aren’t even arguing the same point.

You have to be able to use them properly. As I said, I have no idea how the pic above has been produced.

Jesus, learn to read. No, I did not say that I am better than other theorycrafters. I am saying that I have no idea how you got the pic that you linked and that the numbers on that pic are wrong and cannot be correct.

Since you are so much into external sites telling you what’s what, I will do one more simple illustration (but just one):

There’s this site called warcraftlogs, it records performance in raids. Let’s observe the real performance of ilvl 200 vs ilvl 226. I took a random spec (shadow priest) and a random boss (Shriekwing), then filtered logs by top performance for two different ilvl brackets and took #100 in each case (because several top places are likely boosted by external factors).

The results are:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/26#boss=2398&difficulty=4&bracket=10&class=Priest&spec=Shadow

ilvl 200 = 3,962 dps

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/26#boss=2398&difficulty=4&bracket=18&class=Priest&spec=Shadow

ilvl 224 = 7,981 dps

So, 24 more ilvls result in 2x more dps, in practice.

QED

1 Like