"If there is such a big gap between players 20 item levels apart, it is more likely a skill issue"

In case you’re not trolling…this line of argument is wrong on every possible level. There’s just too many variables between the 200 and 224 in these that there is no point trying to compare the damage. They often have different trinkets, the 224s have better secondary distribution, many of the 224 logs have PI funnelled into them (which the 200s don’t), and the 224 logs have half the kill time of the 200s so of course they’re going to do more damage.

If you took the top1 from the 200ilvl group, put them into a group that killed Shriekwing in a minute and gave them 4x PI, their damage would be at least 50% higher.

2 Likes

There are many factors, sure, that’s why the real difference in like-for-like scenario is ~50% as I said. It’s just that the guy I am replying to cannot assess math and needs external websites to confirm things, so that’s what I provided - some food for thought as to why the hell two websites tell different things and why the hell the pic he linked differs from practice.

Not if you had a 200 item level and a 226 item level with their sole difference being the item levels. If that was truly the case (so they have the same secondary distribution, same trinkets, same soulbinds etc), the difference will indeed be 26%. That’s what the sims represent, in case you didn’t get it.

If there’s other factors such as stat optimisation, then of course the difference is going to be larger. Then it is not the same scenario Ion and the others have been speaking of. Is it practical? Not really. But as far as pure item level difference goes, 1% per ilvl is accurate.

1 Like

This is not the case. In case you didn’t get it.

1 Like

Oh, because in this match what I saw was Venruki being decently outgeared (yes, I know his healer had gear but it barely affected the match imo), he hesitated (like using block), failed a bit here and there (rogue got re even tho it was easy to stop) and still won. So basically there was gear disadvantage on his side I’d say and he still won even tho he was failing.
Regarding meta, hpala/firemage are both meta classes for sure (even tho pala is not anymore in 2s) but the comp itself is actually not really good or anything, speaking of the current state of the game.
I agree it’s very hard for a new player to learn the PvP because it’s not simple button smash. Of course I’d agree it would be great if the game design was that new players could easy learn the PvP by default but well… that’s not the case. This is where the community kicks in imo. I played with many new and returning players, all they need is basically someone who can tell them what’s going on. But that’s only the case because most of the players are not willing to put enough effort to figure it out by themselves… I mean it’s time consuming, I get that.
Currently I am playing with a guy who played in wotlk the last time, he still doesn’t know how to properly CD trade vs some comps, he doesn’t even know some spells from some classes which should be basic knowledge imo. But he is a nice guy and he is willing to learn, he is on the way to his first 2,1k this season :slight_smile:

Do you know that these two people in the video are multi rank 1 3000+ exped Blizzcon winners right? xD

You very clearly did after I confirmed it was a Raidbots source for you.

After which you proceed to show your own theory. Idk what that means where you come from, but the places I go that’d be you saying “they are wrong, here’s what I have which is right”, unless of course you claim your own theory is wrong :slight_smile:

Now let’s get to the actual thing that matters, because you very ironically tell me learn to read, but despite that you don’t seem to listen to yourself very much considering that you argue with me despite I never made a point.
I listed off what Ion said in the interview with Preach, which was that if you exclude everything and compare the ilvl alone, then you’ll have roughly 26% dmg increase purely based off of that, aka no external power sources or encounters taken into consideration.
All of this, is then further confirmed by a very skilled and experienced theorycrafter.

That’s it. I’m not trying to argue against your math, I’m not trying to do the math myself, but you are trying to show me how right you are with warcraftlogs, despite that goes waaaaaay over the original statement.

So quite frankly, I don’t know what you want, you seem to just wanna argue for the sake of arguing.

2 Likes

Of course I do. I played vs Pikachu (he was boosting), Trille (was boosting his alt with another r1) and few days ago vs Snupy. Fun fact I won vs all of them and I am definitely not even close to their skill level :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I mean we won as a team, since they had barely any synergy.

So you’re gonna compare the best of raiders, vs casuals? That’s literally admitting that it’s down to skill and that Ion is right :thinking:

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/oc5UYV5nKmtXvaJEg17S8M
I literally changed item level of all my stuff to 200 in the bottom one and to 226 in the top one. struggling to see the 50% difference…

3 Likes

I played vs Trille multiple times if not this then previous expansions. I recently won with Braindeadly but none of them were Blizzcon Champions.

I cannot understand why are you strongly against lowering the importance of gear difference in PvP. Do you feel insecure or what is the case for you?

2 Likes

In all fairness, blizzcon champion means less than you think, if you’ve won and played against R1s, you’ve essentially faced a Blizzcon champ, as the difference on R1 and winning Blizzcon, often boils down to Meta and having counter comps.

Hence, if you watch streams, those same Blizzcon players win and lose quite often against other R1s (And often regular glads too)

1 Like

True but definitely better players than the average ~2k people.

Oh no I am not against it, at least not entirely. I just want the mmorpg feeling to stay, I kinda want some kind of feeling that I am progressing on my char. Transmogs and mounts literally do not give me this feeling.
I just watched the whole clip and I remembered it. It was when they both played with ilvl 151 without a trinket. That’s already 46 ilvl difference to a fresh alt with full covenant gear, while they are also fighting people with higher gear than that. Am I the only one who finds that a bad comparison to the current situation?

2 Likes

Not to mention, in any other Expansion, they’d most likely have lost as much if they joined arenas in no gear vs people that were fully geared :man_shrugging:

1 Like

OK, I see what is happening.

There are two main things:

First, the increase of X ilvls results in slightly more than X% more primary stat, but about half that amount in secondaries. My fault for not remembering.

Second, apart from gear, there are also gems / enchants / consumables and raid buffs. These are constant whatever the gear and they make differences in stats smaller.

So, yes, X% more stats results in way more than X% output, like I said. But X ilvls does not result in you getting X% more stats, it results in less. And in a raid environment, the overruns from the first factor come to be about the same as the dampening from the second. (Which is how they balance these things, with raid buffs and everything else.)

There is a caveat for PVP: PVP does not have raid buffs. Plus PVP adds one extra multiplicative factor: survivability. Both these things increase differences with the latter basically doubling them.

This is the problem. This is what started the exchange in this thread for me. The statement, as you make it, is patently false. But I guess Ion did not say it. I guess he said that 1 ilvl results in roughly 1% more output. Which, in a raid environment, appears to be roughly true.

I didn’t watch the interview myself, only read the notes and in this thread I replied to this particular statement, which, as I say, is patently false. I guess I jumped the gun in that Ion likely said something else, which wasn’t as wrong as above (but still wrong for PVP, and by a lot, see my previous post), but in my defense, Ion’s interviews are empty and boring and not worth watching. So, I take the phrases of others literally as what he said, and if they end up being different from what he actually said, well…

Good thing he never spoke of PvP, ever.

That’s what people have been trying to point out for a good while now.

1 Like

Well, the issues regarding ilvl differences apply to PVP plentifully, so if he didn’t have PVP in mind, whatever, but that just shows how much they care about it (not at all).

Well, that’s an issue with the PvP devs not doing their job, I guess :man_shrugging: But for some reason, people 'round here rather shout at Ion for not doing PvP fixes, instead of the 2? (or is it 3?) people that get paid to be pvp devs.

Imagine making a thread about a duel all this because you got beat by zoogodx in a duel Lmfaoo