Immersion is important - my rant

BTW if you want my idea about something that’s immersion breaking is when a quest text/dialogue fails to recognize that your race/class should say something entirely different but doesn’t. Like the ones where NPCs fail to acknowledge you as part of their race and explain stuff like you’re an outsider.

Of course I could go on about this but I’d love to have at least major plot dialogues address stuff like this. Like one neat thing I found out if you’re a death knight Darion calls you Deathlord instead of Champion when inviting you to the Shadowlands.

Yeah but make it cost 10 times as much as a Blizzcon virtual ticket. That’ll show those pesky players they should buy every single one from now on :smiling_imp:

holds mirror up

2 Likes

Idk if everybody around you is celebrating something by completing quests and NPC’s are talking about it when you approach them, then perhaps actually you’d notice without a buff or a pop-up. :stuck_out_tongue:

The funny thing is that the game already does that, so I have no idea why it’s even putting that buff up. It doesn’t need to.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yea. It’s too vast, frankly.

Omg, yes. There’s nothing weirder than going through Mists of Pandaria as a Pandaren.

NPC: “Wow, I haven’t seen anyone like you around here before!”
Me: “WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, I LOOK LIKE A NATIVE!?!”

Must be that adventurous wandering isle aura setting you apart. Like a “je ne sais quoi” thing.

1 Like

Great post, sorry I skipped it.

I’m still playing the end-game and feeling like this, though. I guess the difference between you and I is that you just acted on this feeling whereas I feel such a strong connection to my community and identity that I simply can’t move on, and frankly I see no reason why this dichotomy needs to exist. It’s purely invented by Blizzard because they do indeed appear to have given up.

She has a 60 horde and 60 alliance so stop mocking .

The rest of your rant are fair comments but i wouldnt want any of it as its your perfect game not mine .

I tried to relive classic but the players and blizzard ruined it .

I have accpted wow has moved on and not for the best in some areas .

I love flying i think for ME its added a great deal of immersion and added gameplay via movies and wallpapers i make for me and others.

1 Like

If I had consistent community I’d probably be in a similar boat (as in trying for content progression) and i have done this on occasion (BFA I was in a M+ community) and it helped, but at the end of the day it simply made the instance carousel feel more tolerable, that’s all.

My best wow days memory wise were TBC, Wrath and Cata, but I’m not sure whether that had much to do with their design (possibly) but more the fact then I had a community of regulars where we’d just find stuff to do, there wasn’t this overarching daily plan or whatnot. Some days we’d do this, the other that, and we did it together and picked up new friends along the way.

Nowadays you seek people out for stuff specifically, I think that is the difference.

I’d describe it as wow moving from a huge hall with loads of activities and you’d browse them, bump into people and go from there. The hall being designed in a way where it invites you to explore it and poke your head around.

Now it feels like the same amount of activities are there, but everyone enters the building on their own, and upon entry you’re asked to indicate which activities you want to find friends for, and then you’re given a map and told where to go and you ignore everything else on the way.

I mean in older wow I never thought of myself as a pver or pvper, I was just a player. Nowadays the idea of “maining one type of content” and “sticking to your lane” when talking about other kinds of content is super rife, and in many instances the players of these games within the game never cross paths and the game never forces them too at all, it just feels a bit wierd. An MMORPG should be trying to push people together or at least not hide them, but wow of late seems intent upon the endgame, shoving people into boxes and keeping them neatly hidden from each other.

1 Like

TLDR version please if you may i don’t have the patience to read the novel of Mark Twain surely the immersion in wow can be explained with less then the encyclopedia Britannica.

Then she’s forgetting something.

You have to talk to A LOT of NPC’s in vanilla, including vendors.

And that’s not me mocking, by the way, it’s just a fact that you have to do that.

No.

Also you can read a subset of them and comment on those. That’s fine on this one.

Thanks for the clarifications, makes more sense. You clearly put a lot of effort in to your post :slight_smile:

Whatever :slight_smile: you do you i just wanted a shorter explanation on immersion because this looks like rocket science.

1 Like

Ishayoe and I just have very different opinions but it is amusing to read that vendors were ever useful. Not even in our revisit to Classic did they come in handy sadly.

Clearly it’s not something I struggled to manage without, quest rewards, crafted gear and dungeon rewards are what mostly kitted me out, along with some random drops.

I was a cheapskate and used vendor arrows for farming :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I did buy ammunition that is true.

2 Likes

And poison reagents.
And spell reagents.
And spells.
And food (no need to do that any more)
And water (no need to do that any more either unless you’re a healer)
And of course you need to buy items to make your professions work, like flint and tinder and a fishing rod and a skinning knife)
And recipes with a cooldown to buy
And random stockpiled items, some of which are good
And mounts and pets (sure they’re still here but everybody’s got them already and they aren’t adding new ones)
Oh yeah, what about lockpicks and thieves’ tools?
And food for your pets unless you’re feeling up for farming it
Armor vendors also sell a few useful items at low level whereas today all the quest rewards are green so all the vendor items are useless. Profession items too, really.

So I will repeat: Either you’re just kindda forgetting something and you’re gonna concede one by one, or you just weren’t really playing that well. Personally I think it’s the former. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is perfect explanation of bad designed Quest zone in WOW :smiley:

You are counting an awful lot of things there that I wouldn’t have considered qualify at all, various stuff you list still still exist in the game today. I certainly don’t count learning spells from your trainer no, and I am so grateful that awful system no longer exists.

You’re counting any interaction with an NPC which you could say we still have today. So you can stop the snark. I clearly levelled throughout Classic without issue.

I’m simply counting nothing more or less than purchases made from NPC’s.

And the vast majority of those do not exist today or have been made irrelevant.

If every single interaction with any NPC counts then it still exists in the game today, but in a lesser capacity. However I found very few NPCs of use in Classic much like they aren’t of much use now.

There are loads of vendors in every hub that offer nothing useful and the items they do sell can’t even be used for transmog, but I said all that earlier in the discussion.

The only vendors that sold gear that have been useful are the ones they had in the starter areas of new expansions where you could buy sets to bring you up to the right level for dungeons. There is a vendor in Jade Forest and there is another one in Mount Hyjal. I can’t think of others off the top of my head.

I can’t think of an instance in Classic where a vendor was useful for gear, and most stuff came from quest rewards, dungeons, crafting. But I made that point a lot earlier on.

Going by your list it sounds like you want all the inconveniencing items back that they’ve eradicated from the game. The tedious reagents required to do anything etc. To me these are all improvements to you they are the opposite.

But…its not? I mean the maw is terribly designed in its current form no doubt and needs alot of immersion added or actually the threat of dying outside that one part of it but stygia is anything but essential. Goes for both Sockets and Conduit upgrades.