Immersion is important - my rant

Touche!
:grin:

I thought I liked you…my mistake!
:grin:

C’mon, £17.00 aint cheap, if it’s just for the T’mog alone!

The life span of an expansion is what, 2 years, couple that with the repetitiveness of MMOs, it’s very difficult to get and stay immersed under those circumstances.

1 Like

I’ll just throw in a few desires and issues off the top of my head.

I hate when the music tracks stop and start all the time. This happens because you move fast between zones or areas - which you very often do these days. But the way music is implemented in the game assumes that you’re going to spend quite a while in the same place. But that’s just not the case in modern WoW. I would love if Blizzard could figure out how to more smoothly transition from one music track to another when you’re flying across a zone or rushing through an area.

Loading screens annoy me as well, specifically their appearance. Why are there so few? If my character is loading into Stormwind, why am I not getting a cool loading screen with an image of Stormwind? Why do I get the same generic Eastern Kingdoms loading screen that I get everywhere else?
If I’ve taken a portal to Shattrath, then I want to see a loading screen with a cool image that features the sprawling city of Shattrath in all its lore-envisioned glory.

And then I want instances to have physical locations in the game. I loved when Blizzard added the first Arenas in TBC and you could go to Nagrand and Blade’s Edge and see those arenas in the zones. Absolutely wonderful.
But it’s become more common that a lot of instances can’t be found in the physical world. Isle of Conquest? Where the hell is that??
Alterac Valley has a physical entrance in Southshore you can go to and there is a portal and NPCs and everything. But where the hell is that for Eye of the Storm??
Way too many consistencies with this and it makes many instances (especially PvP ones) feel very detached from the world, because they don’t really have a physical location.

Just a few quirks of mine. :yum:

On Alliance side in Ashenvale and Stonetalon Mountains there is a questline where you get a Gnomecorder or something, which is basically a walkie-talkie, so you can stay in touch with the Gnome operator that’s guiding you through your mission. I always thought that was a wonderful story solution for that particular questline. It makes the talking head perfectly reasonable and totally immersive. It feels like you’re Rambo on a mission and you’re getting instructions from the headquarters.

3 Likes

Yes, was super fun AFKing for 10 minutes cause I gotta craft poison… so immersive to hit the button and alt tab.

I do miss buying spells, I do not miss spell reagents because my bag space is already horribly limited as it is.

No need to ever buy those, there are plenty of mages around.

1 time thing and you never buy it again and forget about it.

Only if you collect recipees.

They added a bunch of mounts and pets to your covenants vendor in SL, what are you talking about?

You never bought lockpicks. You got a thieves tool from a quest.

Then you wipe and you have no pet because you forgot food. That will always be horrible design.

Armor vendors sold bait items in classic as was clearly demonstrated. If you wasted your silvers on that you weren’t efficient at all and ruined your shots at buying spells later on.

Or you have a very very very skewed perception of what classic actually was like

I didn’t say every single interaction counted, I said every purchase from NPC’s counted. We were talking about useful stuff from NPC’s that you could put on your character.

So banking doesn’t count. Picking up a quest doesn’t count. Getting a quest reward, which is not a purchase, does not count. Talking to an NPC to show you directions does not count. Talking to Chromie does not count. Even going to the auction house doesn’t count because the auction house sells between players - it is a broker, not a vendor.

Yeah and it’s one of those things that should change.

There were similar vendors for WotLK and tBC, and honestly I think that’s a pretty good idea.

In vanilla there’s some white and green armour vendors in the early game towns that you can buy. It’s not fantastic, but sometimes the alternative is an item you got 5 levels ago or not having an item at all. It’s possible to beat the game without them, as with anything in WoW almost, but to a new player they will certainly appear useful and may allow them to defeat a higher level mob sooner, speeding up their levelling.

I do indeed think they would be improvements.

I do want a large concentration of rogues in dank alleyways creating poisons, I do want a large concentration of blacksmiths in the dwarf area because they need their forges, I do want large concentrations of druids out in some wilderness grove or going around gathering seeds under trees for their combat resurrection, etc. etc. because it builds world and it builds lore and it means you know where to go to get some stuff done without relying on a lobby. The lobby is replaced with a physical world space - that is a big part of the genre.

I think it’s a mistake to roll all these things out of the way in order to make it convenient to play it. All you end up doing, and that is what they have done, is making the entire bloody place irrelevant and replacing it with a lobby-based group finder system or, worse still, a looking for group system. They have lowered their standards and they have forgotten what made WoW stand out.

The upgrades are small and if you’re in a group of people who recognise this and decide to go along with that, you’re fine - but as we know there’s a lot of people out there who get a kick out of making their characters the best it can be to help their guild, and those guys are being horribly abused by stuff like this.

But more importantly it’s just not fun, you know? Can’t they come up with something better? You know, instead of making me farm currency for my legendary, couldn’t they just give it to me if I can get to a certain level? Like just making it harder?

Why are they making me farm the same 12 floors every week where I can literally stealth to the end boss on every floor and 1-shot it and then move on with my day? Does anybody think that’s fun? For those seeking a challenge, there isn’t one. For those who still finds a challenge, there’s a time pressure to get that challenge resolved before the next lockout or you fall behind permanently - there is no catching up. Like, seriously, how is the Soul Ash system good? Somebody explain to me.

That’s a good one, I like that. Like a flying track or whatever - something that overrides other instruments whenever you’re fast-tracking through terrain.

Agree with this as well.

As for the loading screens, I don’t think they should add more. :stuck_out_tongue: They should make your complaint literally as irrelevant as possible.

They could have made it more interesting instead of deleting it.

How?! Especially as a Demon Hunter. Jeeze. You have like 130 bag slots. I almost always have 80+ slots ready for vendor trash and quest rewards and herbs I pick up during a play session, and I could easily optimise more.

Yeah but they weren’t gonna be your vending machines. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually Tinder is a consumable. Also several cooking recipes require things like cheese and milk which you get from vendors as well. The modern equivalent is basically that the NPC who trains you has another guy right next to him that sells you all you need, which is super convenient but also completely defeats the point.

An interesting case to be sure, because although I’m buying stuff, we’re not actually making a transaction as such. It’s a “reputation vendor” - the one kind of vendor Blizzard actually kept basically.

It’s only horrible design if you think the well-being of a pet isn’t important class fantasy for a Hunter.

WoW takes 3 types of skill:

1. Preparational
  2. Social
  3. Mechanical

Said player just failed at the first hurdle. If he does that a lot he’s just bad.

A lot of times those items were better than buying an ability. Classic features a lot of abilities that aren’t useless, exactly, but they’re really not that important. I would skip buying spells to buy a mount or buy an item. Worked out very well and some guides even recommend it.

Cause I have more then one toon and my DH isn’t even my main? That’s kind of an interesting take from you.

Okay, fair enough, but like… Our bags are HUGE. My alt is a Druid and even when carrying around 4 item sets you’ve still only taken up 1½ bag! And since several of the items overlap probably just one bag! We’ve got two 34 slot bags and we can get another two 32-slot Lightless Silk Pouches, and then we have the regular bag with the authenticator. 32*4+4+18=150 actually. Like… how are you filling this?

You also have tons of space in your bank as well, plus the reagent bank, and most of the collectibles go into a collectibles tab, so they don’t take up room, either.

What are you stuffing in there?

many of the things you dislike are RPG elements, wow “is” MMORPG, but not really anymore

1 Like

And many of the changes he proposed are right there in classic waiting. I don’t see the issue here? Everyone wants something different for the game.

3 different sets for different stuff. 2 different food buffs, 3 different dps pots, flasks, invis pots, speed pots, runes, armor kits, weapon stones and oils etc. it fills up fast.

1 Like

why even bother declining all suggestions then … urg

A good litmus test for whether people want WoW to be a classical MMORPG game or a more modern online action game is maybe to ask the following…

Would you be positively inclined toward WoW having a waypoint system like Diablo has?

I can agree all the loading screens take me out of the game, BFA was really bad trying to get to MOP zones for 8.3. Possibly hearth from wherever I’m at - loading screen, run down to the portal room to port to Stormwind/Orgrimmar… Loading screen, THEN portal to MoP zone, loading screen. Legendary cloak questline was really bad about this too, load screens all the time. One of the many reasons I feel more immersed in classic than retail, honestly.

The other parts for immersion is definitely noise, but also stuff like weird toys and loud/big mounts everywhere. I can’t really get immersed while hearing motorcycle noises and all kinds of nonsense, toys that make a room INCREDIBLY BRIGHT or red. Toys that SPAM the crap out of your chatlog with “X is Drunk!” I hate you so much, brewfest trophy. Large mounts blocking NPCs, or blocking characters which again is a pretty big issue on RP servers cause for whatever reason non-rpers love to roll on RP servers but not pay much attention to whether they’re disrupting RP when running about and some definitely intentionally do it.

I have had a gripe with the buffs/debuffs honestly but with so much going on it’s hard to keep up with if you want. I think there should be a Toggle to turn them off or hide them, as you’ve found a solution to do that yourself which solved the issue.

I can agree the world quest stuff gets annoying real fast, enough to the point I actually turned dialogue off completely after hearing stuff the first time. Not to mention the pop-ups, which had to be solved with addons. Not sure on the solution here cause I’m not fond of the “Go to Y area to pick up daily quest, THEN run to where the daily quests send you” Unless it’s right near the area. Maybe daily quest givers right in the area, but then you have the problem if you come in at the wrong side and have to run over but eh.

As for reading the lore, I definitely agree. Especially if I’m running with a group it’s hard to just… enjoy reading a quest text before picking it up, or moving to the next point because the group has auto-accepted it and ran off already - if you’re in a dungeon and reading quest text so you’re behind? Almost surefire way to get kicked from LFD.

Music is definitely hit or miss more and more as time goes on for me in WoW, I definitely prefer a lot of the older stuff for a lot of zone music and having the ambience. Oddly enough zones like The Blasted Lands, and Hellfire Peninsula are some of my favorites for ambience.

World needs to keep up with what’s going on for sure and with the implementation of Chromie Time I don’t see why they can’t keep us up to date - but a problem with this is that it can create so many phases for a lot of areas where you wouldn’t see other players perhaps and there’d be different NPCs, different mobs around that area to farm etc. I’m not a huge fan of phasing in the world like that, it always ends up really sucking especially on RP servers when you can’t find a friend because you’re both in different phases.

Think I gave my thoughts on collections a bit already, too many big mounts and weird mounts that take away from being able to focus on the world and such. A lot of toys don’t help this matter.

Identity for characters I think, even if you change stuff around is fine. I don’t think transmog really removes a lot of that, and the only thing seeing the Real items in question add is a sense of awe ‘Oh wow they killed X and Y bosses’ etc which isn’t as big of a deal as it used to be honestly. Makes it harder to tell what people are wearing at a glance, but I think we’ve kinda adapted by looking at health pools more than anything for that.

Languages are a mess, and both Pandaren and Vulpera are a prime example of them not implementing something worthwhile and instead going for the memes which annoys me from an RP and immersion standpoint.

Vendors is a harder one, there’s still a lot of vendors in classic you don’t really use much but there are generally quests at some point that send you into a lot of shops and sometimes you get sent there you a lot, like Elling Trias in Stormwind. I think vendors were also more important then because sometimes they would sell a particular recipe, or quiver, etc that only a couple NPCs had. Also, your bags filled up a lot quicker leaving you to look for NPCs to sell to and repair.

In-game economy is a mess and the damage is done, I don’t think removing the WoW token would fix much and I think there’d suddenly be a huge spike in phishing emails, brute force attempts and etc to compromise accounts and that’s where it gets rougher. Sure, some of those emails will be gotten from having bought gold but a lot of it will come from emails signed up for fansites like MMOC or Wowhead.

Also yes, since some are stating that ‘interactions with NPCS in classic don’t count for mats and etc’ is a bit silly. I sure don’t have to try to find a reagent vendor or someone that sells me Stranglethorn seeds for my spells in retail. I don’t have to try to find a bower or someone that tries to sell ammunition, someone that sells me potion mats etc. Saying retail has such things and all NPC interactions are equal is a bit silly.

I can think of many times in Classic vendors were useful for gear, there’s even tons of wandering NPCs that sell you very nice greens or recipes that I try to seek out when in areas. Executioners Blade I think is one, Wizards Belt, NPC in wetlands for healing potions, various NPCs for scrolls that are always cheaper than AH. First aid books from NPC or you can’t get past 150, same for cooking. NPCs and such definitely play a bigger part even for player power in Classic along with quests. Cooking questline to get above 225 even, and so forth.

Problem is retail has removed too many things because people ‘can’t be bothered’ or ‘it’s an inconvenience’ and well, those were all RPG elements so it’s no wonder the game feels less RPG than before.

There’s plenty of reasons why I tend to prefer older RPGs, and stuff like that is definitely one of them.

The people arguing about how ‘alt tabbing’ is immersion breaking, no one makes you alt tab. You do that on your own, the game sure doesn’t. You could say the same about loading screens, those are effectively alt tabs. I understand people don’t want to be inconvenienced and have to wait an extra 2-3 minutes but eh? We already do that in SL because there’s no way to get around to other zones on foot, and soon enough via flying.

1 Like

So I’m not allowed to share my opinion on these points at all? Then why even bring them up for discussion if you’re not willing to discuss it or even consider the other side.

No I wouldn’t, the two games are so far apart for me it’s not even close to compare them.

1 Like

yes you are allowed to be useless, pointless and all that yes, go nuts!

Ah yes. You clearly checked my post about how all of this has already been a part of WoW and if you want to relive it cause you love it so much Classic is right there.

You really do open up for discussion calling the other side useless and pointless just cause I don’t agree with your view. How very educated of you.

ah yes you clearly know-all … bunch of geniusses here, too educated!

Please read the ending of my OP to understand what I consider Classic an inadequate issue to my problem.

If they were doing Classic+ instead of tBC then there’d be no problems from me. I’d be all over that thing. But… they didn’t.