[ Important? ] Building a better AD

Exactly what I thought

Believe it or not. Flaming anyone who you view as an OOCer or from another realm as evil and trying to bash them off the server isn’t going to get the positive coverage or change you want.

Perhaps start with being a positive influence for the first time rather than a negative one as a community.

8 Likes

This would be pretty sweet tbh, make them invisible and unable to interact with you in any way shape or form outside of instances maybe? Even then would be best being block from grouping up with said person.

4 Likes

Roleplayers who create and participate in roleplay are all the positive influence this server needs.

Lack of moderation and knowledge of how little we have at our hands to solve the servers issues is what drives people to push back against undesirables in ways you see as negative.

30 Likes

One major thing is perseverence. There can be a lot of nay-saying going around when we discuss issues and solutions. That needs to be nipped in the bud. There is nothing to lose in trying and everything to gain. There is nothing to gain in giving in.

A continued effort to make it clear that we are not going down without a fight is actually helpful. I know for a fact that RV had people who previously did not see the problems who now do because they are being discussed and analysed.
Perhaps we need go out of the forums. The game general and trade chats themselves are a no man’s land but could be a tool. Twitter is also where a lot of companies get faced with issues and scrutiny.

What I also reckon is we need to keep emphasising the benefits and positives of the RP community on AD. Keep making events. Keep interacting and being vocal about it. Make people come to this forum and want to join in because not only is there always stuff to do but we are having a whale of a time doing it.
In connection to that I want to mention the AA… it is a very unique tool. When we were in the BC to WoD era it was enviable and impressive. Unfortunately now I think it is unwieldy and bloated. An update and overhaul of it could be a real boon. Archive the very old content, upgrade the search and list functions and tell these forums that AA is modernised and waiting for you and I would be very surpised to find out it wasn’t swarmed on day of announcement.

8 Likes

I strongly disagree with this take that “All roleplayers are positive”. RP drama is in no way positive and only serves to further reinforce the view that RP is done predominantly by weirdos and young teens on power trips.

5 Likes

You are free to disagree with that take but I dont know what it has to do with what I said.

RP drama is a topic of its own and it is not the topic discussed here at this very time. Maybe if we get the issue of OOC/griefing and RP solved, we can move on to that one.

1 Like

It’s absolutely relevant to the topic. It’s a huge factor in the current reality of AD RP and why people are driven away from it. Is it the whole problem? Absolutely not. But to just ignore it and focus entirely on OOC and ERP is ludicrous. Those two have absolutely no place on the platform but they aren’t the only issues.

4 Likes

I instantly ran out to get two (2) boomer monster energy drinks to match Perroy’s 5G mind waves for the 50 000 000 000 word dissertation on my thoughts he cheekily requested.

So lads.

I think the forums can be improved by more constructive threads like that anecdote/story thread, headcanon, lore threads and so on. But really this place is 100% the wild west, and no matter how much you spruce it up you will get dragon, feud or scourge posters devolving threads into their own inane drama.

My two biggest grievances with roleplay and the community are blogs and this weird flagellation of others thing going on.

1. Roleplay blogs are rarely good, drama blogs can be a cheap laugh but really all they ever contribute is pointless toxiticity. And are usually ran by some really bitter souls. Roleplayer’s lament is the least witch-hunt example I can think of, and it’s really just two people doing poops on other people for their writing skill or investment in roleplay as a hobby. Get them binned. If you link it to fuel some form of drama then you also deserve to be in a bin.

2. People need to stop this weird tribalistic thing of just disregarding each others RP with phrases such as “got rp lol” or “>stormwind/Silvermoon RP :smirk:”. It’s not really constructive and the people most vocal about the latter don’t really have much to be aloof about from my own anecdotal evidence. Roleplayers need to stop pooping on roleplayers IMHO, if a concept is ridiculous or straying from “Warcraft” then it’s just as easy to be constructive about it than being a bit of a * edited by Blizzard :wink: *

I don’t think drama will ever be removed from the roleplay community, it’s a group of passionate people on the internet. All that people can really do is push to be constructive, helpful and open with people considering roleplay.

What doesn’t help is when tw*tch folk come with a horde of followers running around spouting racial profanities in /y, having some top gamer moments. Because the push back against them is always frowned upon. I think it’s genuinely a cache 22 for us. “It was just one evening!!” they shout at me, as one of my three chilled evenings this month is down the gutter for the sake of some weird e-celeb simping.

There’s my two penneth.

31 Likes

I think role playing in “zones” already claimed by OOCers would be a good start, perhaps a server-wide friendly men event in the Valley of Strength ?

28 Likes

With more positive and RP focused or encouraging threads those problem posters will have nothing to actually derail unless they wish to expose themselves.
It is a chance but it is also a tantalising honey trap.
Xueyan’s anecdote thread was born out of that exact desire, in fact, to get people talking about their roleplay. Let us bump it.

6 Likes

Something that’s comeup in some of the GD threadsor posts where people were thinking of dipping their toes is “fear of what to expect”

I know we have a “tips for new RPers” but I think having a kind of resource outside of the forums we can link people to (be it a google doc, discord etc.) would be really useful, as well as contemporary. It could include not only tips for building a char, but recommendations for addons, and such.

However where it would differ from the guide post in that it could be prefaced with some info about why we RP. This is why I think a google doc would make sense (for collab), because then AD psoters can put in a bit about why they RP, how, and what purpose it serves for them. A lot of the time people don’t care for Rp because they “don’t get it” and they don’t actually know what happens. Having a centralised place where people can go to look at tips, but also a lot of the “and here’s why we do it” would be a cool tool in order to demystify what RP is on AD in more than one way.

EDIT: So like a cool thing for the above might be east person that’s happy to make a “why I RP” entry, concludes it with one of two brief takes of “my most memorable Rp experience was…” type thing, to give outsiders little snippets of the what and the why.

Most people think it’s like wierd sweaty nerds in pubs. If you have them reading over details of like massive war campagins entirely manned by players that happened in Krasarang, or Ashenvale on the Battle for Lordaeron, that portrays an extremely different and much cooler version of RP they don’t probably see.

I’m reminded by this of someone on GD who has just got into RP(or tried it) and turned up to the Argent event of late and said how fun it was. That’s the stuff we need these people to be reading about; these nice, organised events that bring the server together, because even the layman on the street can think “you know what, that sounds pretty awesome, i’d have loved to have gone”. And making it clear that such events are only possible if we keep disruptive OOcers out of them, otherwise they don’t happen. This will also help people understand why AD can be so defensive.

5 Likes

It’s heartwarming to see that there are plans to do just that.
The good people of 💫 Blood Elf Community Discord (Sunwell Edition) have been talking about going to RP in Bazaar. Sure it’s a minor offender compared to the Valley of Strength and Trade District, but a good start.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it can have a positive impact but I know I persuaded few of my ooc friends to get trp3 addon purely so they could see the profiles rpers have. It actually made them super interested in the lore and start tentatively build their own characters and one of them started rping actively while the others are still more of a onlookers but are actually more invested in giving their chars some story and lore friendly view.

Perhaps advertising trp addon more so the ooc people can see we are not all a bunch of furries and cyber predators could be a minor step the right way?

5 Likes

Also folks.

Breath and let go. We’ve all being at odds with each other at some point. Life’s too short for hatred and bitter anger over a hobby in which you pretend to be a bitter, melancholy elf knight who scrapes at excuses to justify the things he does on your quiet evenings.

If you don’t think you can reconcile differences then going around and roleplaying “The Plastics” from the hit movie “Mean Girls” which was released on 18 June 2004 in Discord doesn’t really do anything but fuel your own bitterness.

Be good. We all bleed red. :pray:

17 Likes

don’t night elves bleed purple or something

(agreed tho)

3 Likes

:point_up_2: This. This is what I mentioned in the other thread as well.

Well, right now people are just saying “big mounts disrupt the RP there” but honestly, I never see any RP there to begin with. It would be more progressive to start RP’ing there (like opening a shop) to show the disturbers that they’re simply in the way when they keep afk’ing on open streets.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/today-i-will-remind-you/147603/403?u=kharaas-argent-dawn

Be the change you want to see. You get griefed, you report those people if they don’t listen.

3 Likes

i think calling for all oocers to :point_right: :door: is a pretty positive thing

2 Likes

The topic at hand is Public cyber / overtly sexualised RP profiles and Widespread griefing / OOC dialogue in spatials. RP drama is an issue that the community itself can sort within itself. I will be a naive man and say that if cybering issue is resolved, some deal of the OOC/griefing will be solved as well. Off the top of my head, I can recall two instances where uncovering cybering lead to griefing and disturbing of RP.

No one is ignoring these issues. But one step at a time.

Big true.

5 Likes

Honestly, I think having big Blizzard actually flesh out the ‘rules’ of rp realms, could help put a lot of problems down. Personally, I find it sometimes hard to distinguish what exactly counts as ‘griefing’ rp.
We’ve all heard the age old argument of ‘killing roleplayers with pvp on isn’t griefing according to Blizzard.’ and everything else under the sun.

If the guidelines for what you can and can’t report were more clear, I think a lot of both roleplayers and oocels would be better off.

5 Likes