Improve visual performance

Hi all,
I am the owner of the following system:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

Is it possible to get much much better graphics performance by chaning graphics card? If yes which one would you recommend me with a budget of 300 euros?

Thanks
Alex

Something like an RX 570 or RX 580 will get you a 3-4x performance increase for under 200 euros. Or a GTX 1660 Ti which consumes a lot less power (only 120W) resulting into a cool and silent card). You can also go for a RTX 2060 which has the new raytracing stuff (not at all relevant for WoW, for now, afaik) and be a bit more future proof (for other games) for a little over 300 euros. You can compare the performance of different cards at userbenchmark(.com).

This performance increase will probably not be as large in WoW because the engine generally demands more from your CPU than GPU when it comes to frames. But it will still be a big improvement.

You may equally want to look at a newer variant of i7, but that will depend on the socket your current one is using; if it’s a similar age to my i5-4690K, then it’ll be LGA1150 & no new options exist.

WoW gets most of it’s work done by the CPU (still; the engine is largely the same as it was in 2004) and while a better GPU will help, it isn’t the defining criterium, like most modern games.

This side of forking out for a 7th Gen. or better set-up, a newer GPU will be the quickest way to get improvements… long term, 4th Gen. Intel™ CPU’s ain’t cutting it any more.

For 300 euros budget and upgrading only the GPU, i would personally go for GTX 1660ti hands down.

It will be a huge upgrade from your current grafics card.

which of these graphics cards will be also silent? i love pcs that make no sound :slight_smile:
One more reason for a good gpu is that I use lightroom and photoshop that use more and more gpu processing.

Related to the motherboad:

Intel® Socket 1150 for the New 4th/4th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors
Supports Intel® 22 nm CPU
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

• The Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 support depends on the CPU types.

I do not think I can upgrade the processor

My Vega 64 with custom liquid cooling makes “no sound” on an open test bench next to me :wink: but that’s not the most cost efficient solution. Most GPUs won’t be loud when running WoW as it’s not super intensive task (although they may jump to high fan speeds at random when a spike happens or something similar).

If you want the quietest performance then you need like a custom variant of 1660 Ti with good reviews. If you want best value then weaker but much cheaper RX 470/480/570/580 second hand of a good model will also perform well at the expense of some extra heat. So depends how much you want to spend and how much luxury you want :slight_smile:

btw I hear people saying that wow is a cpu game mostly.
Why then on my pc I get the cpu only tho the 20% utilization and when I improve graphics, performace drops drastically but cpu utilization does not increase at all? Is not this a sign that the graphics card is causing the slow downs?
Regards
Alex

Do you have SSD (Drive; built like RAM) or a HDD (hard drive with physical disks)…? Might help add performance.
posted on wrong character

but what the drive has to do with the actual frame rate when I am standing still?

Other movement around you is smoother…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.