In-game Blizzard windows (shop, support) are black

Hi!
I just realized this problem recently when i tried to buy WOW Token from the in-game shop and after clicking the “Select” button in Shop, the background went blue and a window popped up (as intended). But the window is totally black with only a white cross in the top right corner. This problem happens whatever i try to buy in-game (also mount, pets etc) and i just realized this also happens when i try to write a ticket for support in-game. This was like a week ago and problem haven’t been solved. Everything worked correctly few months ago when i last used the shop.
What i tried so far: full UI reset, turning off all addons, turning off firewall and antivirus, runned virus scan and also tried the repair tool in battle.net. Nothing helped so far.
In my opinion the problem is somewhat related to opening external links (like the shop and support) in-game but can’t quite figure out the solution.

I’m looking forward to your help!
Best Regards, Hanu

1 Like

Good morning Hanuong,

Please try the additional steps from this article here.

Kind regards

What’s your opinion?

Thanks for the answer, i have tried everything but the problem still stands. Right now i have no antivirus on my pc, i have made a full UI reset and also turned off all background services. Also i have no parental control enabled. Still get the same black box whenever i try to buy something in the shop.
Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Hanu

Check your wow folder for .dmp and .log files under folder D:\Program\World of Warcraft_retail_\Utils\logs\browser. If exists, delete the files and try again. This solved the problem for me.
brgds

Sorry for resurrecting a thread with a similar problem. I’ve got the black screen as well, but my client does not repair itself with any of these suggestions. It does however write a file called debug.log with 14 entries like

[0826/083716.302:ERROR:sandbox_policy_base.cc(344)] Failed to add sandbox rule. error = 2, subsystem = 0, semantics = 1, pattern = ‘<WoWPath>\_retail_\Utils\*.pdb’"

This is just from opening the confirmation window for a boost purchase once. Also there are no .pdb files in that directory or any subdirectories at all. Just opening the help window ingame makes at least 8 of the same entries.

I’ve tried

• an interface reset (which doesn’t change much, since i play on basic UI)
  • running as an administrator
  • setting the game and battle net client to be run in compatibility mode
  • running without the windows firewall or any other
  • deleting the whole utils folder and letting it repair with the battle net client.
  • changing the DirectX setting to “11 Legacy”, “11” and “12” as described in other threads on the us forums

I’d be grateful for any idea how to get this working again. Got some gift cards on my table waiting for its use.

It seems like nobody cared about that, so after running around with other weird solutions the one in the german forums actually held the solution: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/de/wow/t/ingame-shopbrowser-bleibt-schwarz/36896

To translate the solution into english: If World of Warcraft is installed on a NTFS mounted folder (e.g. mounting an SSD as C:\Games\), the screen remains black. Unmounting it and assigning it a drive letter fixes the problem.

Also the browser writes logs into a weird directory called “…\Worl\” instead of its usual folder “…\World of Warcraft\_retail_\UTILS\”. This might also be why Mac OS users have trouble with it. Mutliple mount points is kind of a Linux thing.

1 Like

Oh Kheleris, you saved my day

i had all wine games on a ZFS dataset mounted outside of the ~/.wine and the same issue
to solve it i added a letter to my mounpoint using winecfg, and it just works properly on Archlinux with wine 5.22

1 Like