In-game voice chat mutes the game sound

Yesterday me and my friends joined the in game voice chat for some keys (first time after the patch dropped). We all immediately noticed that whenever someone speaks, the game sound gets muted. Is there any way to change this? It is extremely inconvenient.

Hey Minarra,

Can you check your Communication Preferences in your Sound settings? The settings here can be used to reduce the volume when your microphone is active:

1. Press Windows+R
  2. Type mmsys.cpl into the run prompt, then press Enter
  3. Go to the Communications tab and check the settings.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how Iā€™m doing!

It is set to ā€˜Do nothingā€™. At least mine, I am not sure about my friends. But I doubt this would be the issue either way, since neither of us experienced this before the new patch.

I have the exactly same problem, as Minarra said, I also have Communications settings set on ā€œDo nothingā€ but the problem still occurs. I searched whole settings ingame but thereā€™s nothing that could remove this issue.

Nevermind, I just solve it. :smiley: I would have never guessed that ā€œVoice chat duckingā€ means this. :smiley:

3 Likes

1- With ducking on 100%. Using push to talk often results in all sounds being disabled permanently until you press the PTT a few times; which makes sound magically return. (i.e. Game sound gets stuck at 0 and doesnā€™t return after releasing the PTT key.)

2- Setting Ducking to 0% doesnā€™t seem to get saved as ā€˜0ā€™ but perhaps deletes the CVar value? This results in the ducking value setting itself back to 100%. This can occur at login or joining new voice channels. Itā€™s crazy.

I would just set Voice Chat Ducking to -100%.

If you have huge problems with this bug you could make a macro or insert the following into some addon that runs often enough.

/run SetCVar("VoiceChatMasterVolumeScale", "100")
3 Likes

Thank you for the replies Raijin and Shroomki, the issue was with Voice chat ducking for me as well. At first I thought itā€™s not what is wrong - it was set to 0%. Then me and friends joined the voice chat and Voice chat ducking got set to 90%. Reducing it to 0 fixed the issue to me, and at least for now it seems it no longer sets itself to 90% upon joining vc.

@Minarra Made a change to the above code after testing.

SetCVar("VoiceChatMasterVolumeScale", "1")

Should disable ducking.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that a try when I get home from work. Thank you for your continued help!

Itā€™s bugged to hell is the issue with it. Whoever coded it wasnā€™t sure what value to save and display.

The CVar in your config.wtf is saved as 1-(slider value). So 53% in game is saved as 0.47.

If you use the SetCVar method.

SetCVar("VoiceChatMasterVolumeScale", "1")

It works fine, just NEVER touch the slider in the UI. Itā€™s broken.

Hereā€™s some ghetto code you can put into https ://addon.bool.no/
to make your own fix addon.

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
local function fixDucking()
local inCombat = InCombatLockdown()
if not inCombat then
C_Timer.After(3, function() SetCVar("VoiceChatMasterVolumeScale", "1") AudioOptionsVoicePanelVoiceChatDucking:SetValue(0) end)
end
end
f:SetScript("OnEvent", fixDucking)
f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD")

Someone better at addon coding could probably fix this correctly.

you a star!!!

[Achievement Unlocked: Necro a post over a year old]

Please do not necro a very old post.