Inspire me on race for priest (horde)

Having a hard time choosing race for my priest toon, like every time i think “damn i’ll choose blood elf” i’m starting to think that it’s too generic, then i think about forsaken and detail about undead intensly hurting while channeling light feels offputing to me, trolls, ehm, close i guess but i already have 2 troll toons and want to have a little more diversity.
Starting to think about orcs but idk, any ideas?

Well the downside of using light as a forsaken is a bit more complex then that using the light not only hurts but makes them feel more alive with all the downsides that bring being a rotting corpse

most of the horde races would be shadow priests rather then holy with the blood elves and tauren being more likely to use holy

i dunno if a nightborne would follow the light it’s detable if they would even follow elune since their leader was a narcist who saw her self as above their Goddess

1 Like

Mag’har might be something to consider. With what happened between the Mag’har and Lightbound on Draenor, there’s plenty of RP choices to be made concerning why and how they use the Light (And Shadow, but that won’t be such a contentious issue with their fellows, considering the fanatics that tried to convert them all by force!). A case could be made for a Mag’har Priest using the Lightbound’s powers against them (The Demon Hunter route) for instance…

troll priest and go for a witchdoctor vibe honestly

3 Likes

Orc. And give your priest a Twilight’s Hammer twist with a purple-dominant transmog. You can say your character defected to the Horde during Garrosh’s reign.

I have a thought about ex shadowmoon void priest mag’har who after seeing his tribe being descecrated by the army of the light started to see light as equal source of power and through it came to philosophy that to be the most powerful you need to have equally dark and equally light in your heart. Will explain duality of priest just right.

I’m also sucker for former evil character turn good trope.

Go for Orcs. They are fresh and new.

as a trollmania i can say only troll z troll and undead are best for priest fantasy.

you can be witch doctor as disc or kind of shadow hunter or priest of bwonsamdi with trolls holy or disc will be good for zandalari troll servant of bwonsamdi

undead could nice with disc or shadow priest as member of cult of forgotten shadows or shadow priest as sylvanas loyalist

but you can choose any race and can be servant of old gods too as shadow priest

Hullo!

Although you’ve mentioned that you dislike the fact that the Light hurts Forsaken it is extremely appealing to me. If I have to choose a race on the Horde for a Priest, that’d be Forsaken just for that reason. Priests are holy folks who follow the path despite the hardships and trials. It also includes physical and mental anguish. Unlike their colleagues of different races, the Forsaken feel this to the bone ( pun intended ) and despite the horrific circumstances ( i.e. being denied of eternal peace aka death ) they still follow the Light as it reminds them of life they lived and long for, a distant yet close memory of their mortal lives.

Also, the Priests and Monks are known for exerting practices involving physical and mental pain to keep their faiths strong. The situation of the Forsaken reminds me of those.

I love my Zandalari Troll Priest, worshipping Bwonsamdi and Rezan (until…) but aside from that; Forsaken really appeal to me, Alonsus Faol as an example.

1 Like

Personally, I chose to make a Blood elf priest back in Legion because of the WC3 nostalgia and I don’t regret it. It’s a shame they don’t get more in game lore representation via NPCs etc… as a call back other than Liadrin being a former priest and a brief appearance of Vandellor during the heritage questline. My only grip is that Blood knights/Paladins now overshadow them.
That said, if I didn’t my next choice would of been an Nightborne. Besides the giant Temple of Elune, there was a quest from Thaedris Feathersong involving one of their graveyards outside Suramar that makes me think they still have some sort of active cultural link to Elune worship.
Outside of the Alliance they’re the only two races that sort of fit light wielding thematically. Pandaren maybe too but, it’s overshadowed by the monk class and chi magic.

Traditionally, Orc, Troll and Tauren all feel more tribal and shamanistic. With the Undead aligning with shadow magic more naturally. Goblins are a bit of an outlier. Can imagine priests of theirs running something similar to one of those big mega churches in the states and getting filthy rich off donations.

2 Likes

I have an orc priest named Padre :smiley: He does voidy stuff… not too far off from some irl padres I know

2 Likes

i made my Horde priest undead because they have the baldy haircut & he is a stinky man

5 Likes

Troll priests are ballers. Love their theme. Undead is cool, too.

For orcs, I’d maybe try and make him a Shadowmoon priest with their dark Naaru stuff which is also petty cool.

1 Like

El grande Padre? :smiley:

I know it’s a late reply, but maybe someone else would find this helpful.

Imo the biggest choice offer Zandalari, as they’re priest society and the additional flavour is the racial that allows you to pick Loa.
Another thing that is original are Tauren - followers of An’she the Sun. If you’re into light magic Sun is good enough connection.
Regular trolls could also work, what is interesting is that Shadra the Spider Goddess allowerd her champion, Mar’li to use both shadow and Light magic, so it’s a good enough compromise for Discipline priest.
The Problem since Legion about Shadow Specc is that it’s no longer Shadow Specc but Void Specialization. Which ironically narrowsd the choices.
But if you’d consider Shadow Specc Mag’har orcs had quite interesting story via Shadowmoon clan and how they tried to control the power of the Void much sooner than Alleria did in Legion.
There are some undeads which remain devoted to the Light, like Archbishop Faol. But they’re rare, and much more “go to” for Forsaken is to be part of Cult of forgotten shadow, but to be fair, I have no idea what it is about.

Goblins are very specific, but if you have great sense of humor you could use them as typical religious scammers, that would grant you blessings but you have to pay them first. Like the cults are doing “pay extra fee and you’ll get salvation. Halleluyah Brother!”.

That leaves us with belves, and what belves are everyone can tell, however additionally you can add extra spin to shadow/void specc that they tried to follow the split group without succumbing to the void.

1 Like

I think maghar orcs are a cool and unique choice as part of the bleeding hollow clan. You can look up their story

my own priest is undead and level 70. So I am settled.

Eh Witchdoctor is more Shaman.
Priest is really just the devoted follower of a single Loa so depending on which Loa you either go for Light or for Darkness.

Also about Bloodelf Priest remember with the void elves there whas a retcon that void magic is forbidden in Quel’thalas since WotLK but there are still canon shadow priests so if you play a blood elf shadow priest you play an exilant who is still loyal to his kingdom but is not giving up on his ways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.