Intel Core i9-10900k vs AMD Ryzen 3900x

Does WoW benefit from the higher core counts in the Ryzen 3000 series and does that result in higher frame rates? I had trouble finding any benchmarks showing CPU differences in WoW.
I guess it’s highly unlikely there are any though since the i9-10900k is in low supply everywhere.

High tier Ryzens as wells as latest high tier Intels perform really well in WoW.

When compared to like 9900K Ryzens would have higher 1%/0.1% low FPS while Intel would have bit higher average FPS. Newer Intels like i9-10900k also improve the 1%/0.1% low side of things (Hardware Numbers benchmarks - retail/raids).

As of core count - for pure WoW with no addons and no other apps running there are slight advantages in 6 cores over 4, but that’s with a high CPU load (add some apps/addons and whatnot and you may need 8).

If you are thinking about a purchase and can wait - wait for Zen 3 and see what’s the pricing and performance then.

You can check my Intel i5-9400F vs Ryzen R5 3500X in WoW:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/ryzen-5-3500x-versus-i5-9400f-world-warcraft/

And another comparison with faster GPU as well as some RAM configurations:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/wow-performance-different-ram-configurations/

Short answer, the Intel is faster :smiley:

1 Like

Does WoW benefit from 10+ cores, specifically? Not really, I don’t think that many games will.

EDIT:
Faster cores will benefit any game; it’s just that über fast, lower core count CPU’s aren’t really a ‘thing’ any more… “5GHz”, 6-8 core CPU’s would probably be optimal, for most games, so 8th Gen. Intel may well be the cut-off point for those you may be better off w/ a 10600K than a 10900K and putting the difference into a GPU.

I doubt WoW benefits very much from extra cores (8 core vs 10/12 cores) so if you are considering that kind of CPUs I would look for other workloads you use your computer for and decide based on them and other factors (power use, temperatures etc if they are factor).

For 100% gaming and if other factors are not important then the Intel would probably be the best choice for WoW, too.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies, I think from the above video AMD takes the win in 0.1% low fps. That’s kind of what I was hoping for, Intel is overpriced and overhyped :wink: (At least for WoW)

If the price isn’t a factor then the latest Intel wins, if price is a factor then AMD usually has the best offer.

1 Like

While they continue to fab. on 14nm…? Definitely.

Remember the 3600XT/ 3700XT/3800XT/ 3900XT etc will be out soon from AMD. Ryzen 3000 XT series launch date of July 7, 2020.

I could be wrong, but i’ve heard that Ryzen is better at handling multiple tasks ( such as multiple windows, like multiboxing ) and intel is best for single task

That did pretty much change with Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 desktop) where single core performance for same clocks is equal or bit higher than 9th gen Intel. With the latest 10th gen Intel they likely pushed it a bit but AMD is bringing Zen 3 this year which will push it even further. In short - both companies have same performance, AMD kind of wins due to pricing.

Security issues: AMD over Intel
Single Core performance: Intel over AMD
Price: AMD
Multitasking: AMD
Gaming and Streaming without framedrops: AMD
Price: AMD
Longativity to upgrade on one chipset: AMD

Reasons for Intel drop even further when there are games that do take advantage of using more than one core, then that lead doesn’t really matter on single core performance.

Add that intel needs to really dump 14nm now which will happen but the long wait for that to come about has really put them on the back foot.

The security issues though have been a disaster for the company and yes every CPU has these issues to one extent or another. Intel was just one that had the most.

Skylake had many problems, enough to make Apple decide not to work with Intel anymore on the matter and go back to ARM.

WoW is a different beast and no doubt Intel would work better on it as really at the time the devs only saw Intel as the thing to use and didn’t optimise properly for AMD at all.

But the game is so lacking in taking advantage of many of the new things both Intel and AMD cpu’s can offer these days. But would take a new game engine to accomplish that and we’re not going to see that at all in this game, ever.

Not true for top Zen2 skus / 3300X. There are also benchmarks where for same clock Zen2 part is slightly ahead. Plus you can get 10+% by optimizing a good memory kit versus same kit on stock XMP. Way more when compared to bad kit.

It’s true if you want the maximum FPS possible today.
With the Intel CPUs having a much higher clock of up to 5.2Ghz on all cores instead of around 4300 on say my 3900x.
Looking at benchmarks depending on the game Intel is ahead by 30+ FPS.

Also in WoW, if you want the best performance then you have to go for the new 10k Intels.
Although for most gamers this is only relevant if you are aiming for high refreshrates of 120hz+.
For 60Hz display users it does not matter which brand you choose.

3800x will get 4.4GHz all cores in WoW if you set it up right. Also you get 20%+ for tightening RAM timings. Tightening the RAM @ IF 1900 is a big deal for game performance. This means the right 3800 MT/s RAM that can do CL14 out of the box. Cost £140.

Tightening the RAM timings is the biggest pain in the as you are going to get overclocking. The tighter the timings the more you have to play with the bus termination setting like procODT.

WoW @ 4k at setting 7. Constant 60fps no matter what happens.

Waycrest manor I get 172fps @ 1080p graphics at 10. After the intro 181fps. Standing at the start looking at the windows. The portal out of view.

That really does not count… in combat is where the frames drop mostly.
You should do a 30man heroic raid… especially when there is lots of trash you will see your FPS drop to the 30s.

It’s so you can compare to the video I guess. I have a more or less constant 60fps @4k at graphics 10. It’s just when there is a big PvP crowd or another event that has lots of effects that it drops just below 60fps. 3800x OC’ed RTX 2080 OC’ed

WoW @ 4k at setting 7. Constant 60fps no matter what happens. No matter the effects or numbers of players etc.

I’m not saying you don’t have 60+ FPS in most of the content.
For alot of people raids are the main reason they are still playing WoW and thus the min FPS in these bossfights are most important.

I am telling you that no matter what is happening on screen I get 60fps which is my monitors refresh rate at 4k.