Intel i5-7600k bottlenecking

Hello everyone,

So I’ve been playing WoW for a while with the intel i5-7600k and as of late it’s starting to giving me more and more problems, especially during raids with a lot of people (around 30-40 fps with some lag on certain fights). After reading up a bit it doesn’t surprise me that my CPU is bottlenecking so much.

Is there anyone that could give a little more insight about the game and this particular CPU? Is it time to start looking for a replacement so it runs more stable? I’m just a bit reluctant because CPUs are expensive obviously, so any tips you have would be very much appreciated.

Note (in case needed): My GPU is a 6gb GTX 1060 and I turn my graphics down considerably during raids for better performance.

Do you have a (spinning) hard drive or a solid state one? That would be my first thought… and how full is it?
Also, how much RAM are you using?

• 500GB SSD (70% full or so)
  • 8GB, upgrading to 16GB tomorrow actually

That may help more than is obvious, at this time… see how it behaves once that’s in.

Unless his RAM is almost full and the OS needs to swap to disk, there is no benefit in having more RAM (that is not even used).

RAM speed and latency is way more important, especially in CPU-Limited games like WoW.
The 7600 non K is ok, but current CPUs paired with faster RAM achieve at least 50% more FPS.

Last november i upgraded from a 3570K@4,2Ghz with 2133 DDR3 RAM to a Ryzen 3900X with 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram and my FPS almost doubled.

It should not be causing any severe problems with the game. It’s not super good, but still it’s not ancient. I managed to run M+ on a 10W Pentium J5005 and GT1030 for the memes.

If such thing happens something is not right. Run userbenchmark before running wow and check if something has low percentile. Then when the game start to lag - tab out and run userbenchmark while the game is running. Percentiles will drop but if there is a thermal or power problem with CPU or other component the percentile will drop down a lot. Aside of that you can run LatencyMon and check if suddenly system gets latency problems (due to some driver or OS misbehaving).

And you can also use HwInfo to log clocks and load (and temps) on GPU, CPU, RAM, even I/O on SSD. If the CPU is the bottleneck it will have maxed load on one core and nearly max on every other as WoW scales on cores - more if it’s CPU starved.

When I limited i5-9400F from 6 to 4 cores it did had a FPS drop in Dazar’Alor but not in old zone like Stonard and not when doing mass combat test in Karazan raid. Only at 2C config was where more benchmark scenarios showed lower performance.

That FPS isn’t that bad but if you see stuttering and lack of fluidity and it’s only you in the group that has it (sometimes it’s server side and affects everyone) then it can be some bottleneck in the system but usually not as basic as “moar CPU” or “moar GPU”.

In some cases of raid trash or encounters multiple actors cast same thing as same time with same visual effect or other effects which can cause temporary drops on weaker systems (wherever it’s some bandwidth limitations or less so - lack of combined CPU/GPU computing power).

He isn’t using a Ryzen CPU and the 50% is big exaggeration. For Intel you really need specific scenarios for it to have a measurable effect. For Ryzen it does matter but often at 2133 versus 3200MHz it can be few percent as a game isn’t solely relying on inter-core communications or large memory throughput (and likely the system running RAM sticks at lower frequency than intended XMP profile will boot them with better timings which will blur the comparison a bit). It’s bad/pointless to run the RAM frequency low but still it won’t kill the performance (unless it’s a very modern game that needs many cores and causes lots of infinity fabric traffic).

I was benchmarking i5-9400F and R5 3500X recently in WoW under Windows and then general Linux comparison and there was no magic mass performance gains there. I can re-run it for various ram frequencies in WoW too if needed as RAM clocks were tested on Linux compute and few synthetic gaming benchmarks :wink:

So you replaced CPU to a massively more capable, you replaced RAM, motherboard, CPU cooling solution, likely also GPU or just moved modern GPU to much more capable modern motherboard/CPU. With such hardware upgrades FPS will change but that’s a multi-factor change, can’t be attribute to only one thing.

It is definately his CPU that is the limiting factor in WoW, not his 1060.
Especially in raids with all the addons like weakaura etc.

It’s not exaggerated, when i could double my fps (min FPS to be exact, what actually counts, not max FPS), then he can get about a 50% upgrade going from a 7600K.

We are talking about FPS gains in WoW here, not some modern game with proper multithreading and not so much reliance on singlethreaded power.
In WoW the RAM clocks do make a very big difference.
If i disable XMP and let the memory run at 2133 instead of 3600, i lose almost 30 FPS.
You can test it for yourself, it is not just a few FPS difference.

The GPU does not really matter in my case.
I had a GTX 970 before the upgrade and a 2070 Super now (went from 1080/60hz to 1440/144hz display).
The 970 could easily manage 60+ FPS at 1080 at settings 7-8.
But we are talking about stress situations like raids, worldbosses, crowded main hubs etc. which could lead to drops below 40 FPS easily.

Moder WoW is quite modern, they even supposedly are thinking about supporting raytracing for Shadowlands. The game can scale to multiple cores as needed:

• Core scaling: https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/games.rk.edu.pl/images/wowb_cores_dazar.png
  • And not so much: https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/games.rk.edu.pl/images/wowb_cores_kara_full.png

As for RAM frequency this isn’t a magic source of performance.

• Xonotic: https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/hardware2.rk.edu.pl/images/6c_xonotic.svg
  • Unigine Heaven: https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/hardware2.rk.edu.pl/images/6c_unigine.svg
  • NAS parallel benchmark (all core high concurrency workload): https://rk.edu.pl/site_media/resources/hardware2.rk.edu.pl/images/6c_nas_mg.svg

On worldbosses or invasion zones in general lately it’s super lag caused by game infrastructure. Player hubs like Dazar’alor or Boralus are big zones with lots of structures to render so that plus random aspect of players going in/out can drop the FPS.

What’s also tricky for GPUs is WoW semi-transparency effects (like fogs, even some “waterfalls” in them) which can clog GPU pixel rate easily. You go to a cave, put as much fog in your FOV and the slower the pixel rate the lower the performance - like AMD APU or Intel iGPU can go from > 100 FPS to 10-20 if you put enough of that fog. Older dGPU performance will depend on their VRAM throughput so even a decent but old GPU can have odd regression in WoW… (HBM memory of Vega GPUs can have it moments).

You can check my old BfA benchmarks:

• https://rk.edu.pl/en/benchmarking-and-analyzing-world-warcraft-performance/

And i5-9400F versus R5 3500X:

• https://rk.edu.pl/en/ryzen-5-3500x-versus-i5-9400f-world-warcraft/

It is for WoW, especially on Ryzen.
But try it yourself, seeing is believing.

And someone already tested it nicely, although for Intel, nothing spectacular, small increase in FPS:

While this is just one test, i wouldn’t call an avg of 15fps more, small in this game.
Imagine being in a raid and trying to perform when suddenly you FPS drops to 30ish or lower, now those “few” FPS really count.

Also the improvement is even bigger on Ryzen and faster Intel CPUs than the 8400.
But anyways, don’t take my word for it, test it yourself and see :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.