Is blood dk fun?

I have tried bear tanking.
How is dk? Is it fun?
I am mostly doing m+ 10-13 with pugs and would like to push up to 20.

Bear is quite chill but I would like to see my hard earned armor.

It’s fine. You can solo every pull in your key range.

1 Like

Fun is subjective though. You have lots og self healing and CDs to survive without much help. Grip is super useful, and you can cheese a lot of mechanics with anti magic shell and Deaths advance knockback immunity.
Downside is the damage is the lowest of all tanks, and your HP jumps up and down constantly because of BDK design around self healing. Lots of healers hate BDK because of this, because they panic when your HP jumps from 100-20 in 2 seconds.

If you never played it before it can be a bit tricky to learn because you have 2 resources to manage.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info

Its fun and its not fun.
Let me give you examples (as i did some mythic+ 19 keys) -
Its fun in some of the dungeons - example: Rokmora doesnt push you back due to Death`s Adavance - also her frontal doesnt affect you due to AMS - Last boss in Halls of Infusion - doesnt damage you with the pushback or his “Disentigrate” that casts on tank- you can even stop his cast if u use AMS right before the boss cast expires.
Not fun in freehold when you get 2-3 packs and you get send into purgatory in 0.5 seconds and cant even build up bone shield stacks.
Also - its much easier for Bdk on Tyranical weeks - you can 1v1 bosses - on fortified you have some troubles.

2 Likes

Defo needs a bit of getting used to compared to more traditional tanks. Took me a while to switch my thinking from:

“big damage coming, no worries, put shield up, healer will do the rest”

to

“big damage coming soon, better build up resources and boneshiled, get slapped and then death strike straight away”

My m+ group enjoy playing with a bdk as we know generally the tank will stick around their DD, so everyone can aoe/cleave confidently.

A few downsides, if you end up on a tight spot, have no defensive cd up or RP, well then you become more of a dead knight. Health going from 5% back to 100% in seconds can be a bit of a cortisol spike too.

TLDR, manage your resources, and you’ll be invincible! :smiley: Like Farentis said above me, bosses are generally really easy, Like one hand on the keyboard laying back on your chair and chilling kind of easy. Larger packs can be trickier.

If you play with a regular group, I recommend you tell your healer to get the WA that tracks your resources. You can so self sustainable that they might never need to pay attention to you and worry about healing the dps only.

1 Like

I think my biggest peeve with BDK right now is that it just doesn’t offer enough to justify its noodle dps. For me, tank dps is a factor. It contributes to the group and it’s another aspect of tanking to master that makes me even more valuable to the team and makes the class rewarding.

BDK doesn’t sacrifice survivability to max dps as much as other tanks and we rely a lot on borrowed power, dps trinkets, annulet. The gap will likely only increase as bosses go on farm and other tanks lean into damage builds. I main BDK but I went Prot Pala this tier for a change of pace and don’t regret it, it’s been good fun.

BDK’s positives are rewarding gameplay. It’s more player reliant, if you walk into a big pull with no resources you’ll die, but if you manage your resources well you’ll be immortal. A good DK can do amazing things and I like that.
AMS and Death’s Advance are incredible.

Overall it’s a fun class. I’ll return to it next tier. I just think it needs a buff on damage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.